May 27
2009

Grilled Chicken with Soy-Curry Sauce

Grilled Chicken with Soy-Curry Sauce

I adore curry and soy sauce, but have never considered putting them together in the same recipe. Let me tell you – it’s a great combination! Trust me on this one.

In a glass container or a ziploc bag, combine 1/3 cup soy sauce…

2 tbsp fresh lime juice…

2 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger…

and 2 tsp curry powder.

If you have an Indian market in your area, buy your spices there. You’ll get a decent sized bag (about 2-3 times the amount in a supermarket spice bottle) for about half the price. As you can see, I only paid $1.99 for this package of curry powder. That’s a steal!

Whisk together.

Add 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves. Marinate for 1-2 hours.

Preheat the barbecue to high heat and then turn it down to medium-high. Spray the grill with cooking spray or brush it with oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook it on the grill until it is just done, about 4-5 minutes per side. Reserve the marinade.

Once the chicken is done, remove it from the grill and let it rest until the sauce is done. If you cut into the chicken too soon, all of the beautiful juices will run out and you’ll end up with dry chicken breasts. Who wants that?!

While the chicken is cooking, pour the reserved marinade into a medium saucepan. In a small bowl, mix 1 tsp cornstarch with 1 tsp water and stir to combine. Add the cornstarch mixture to the marinade. Add 1 1/4 cup chicken broth. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until the sauce coats a spoon, about 12-14 minutes.

Cut the chicken across the grain, on a slight diagonal. Serve on a bed of rice – I prefer basmati to go with the curry flavor. Spoon the sauce over the chicken (the rice will soak up the sauce, too) and garnish with a little cilantro.

Other barbecue recipes using curry powder:
DaVinci Gourmet’s Lemon Curry Barbecue Sauce
Grilled Chicken with Soy-Curry Sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 tsp curry powder
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp water
Cilantro for garnish
In a glass container or a ziploc bag, combine soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Whisk the mixture together. Add the chicken breasts and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, turning the chicken occasionally.

Once the chicken is done, remove it from the grill and let it rest until the sauce is done. While the chicken is cooking, pour the reserved marinade into a medium saucepan. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water and stir to combine. Add the cornstarch mixture to the marinade. Add chicken broth. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until the sauce coats a spoon, about 12-14 minutes.

Cut the chicken across the grain, on a slight diagonal. Serve on a bed of rice. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with a little chopped cilantro.
Serves 6.

Printable Recipe

1 Bread and Jam May 27, 2009 at 2:15 pm

My mouth is watering! I want this for lunch today. :)The marinade looks delicious.

2 s. stockwell May 27, 2009 at 3:00 pm

This is very interesting? We now love curried anything since our visit to India. Adding the soy would give it a rich body and then the corn starch would add substance. uuu-huh! We will try it soon. Thanks, s

3 5 Star Foodie May 27, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Soy and curry sound excellent together – great idea! Delicious with grilled chicken!

4 Chow and Chatter May 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm

great recipe and thats cool your go to the Indian store, I must confess i only started going lots after being married to an Indian! love it

5 neena creates May 27, 2009 at 11:20 pm

it looks really really good, sigh, i only wish my husband likes curry, maybe if i don’t say anything…..hmmmmm

6 Chef Fresco May 28, 2009 at 2:22 am

I love curry and soy, and grilled chicken – great recipe!

7 Terecita May 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm

This looks so good! Definitely one to try!! Thanks for sharing it!

8 Tangled Noodle June 1, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Looks so delicious, especially the way you've arranged it over rice!

9 Kevin June 3, 2009 at 12:38 am

That chicken looks really tasty! Nice presentation!

10 The Duo Dishes June 4, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Soy curry??? Love that idea! This sounds like a great marinade.

11 Anne June 24, 2009 at 3:47 am

Stumbled onto your blog. Tried this for dinner tonight. The whole family liked it, even the two and four year olds. I prsonally thought the cilantro made the dish. The others opted out. Thank you for an easy, delicious, quick dinner.

12 Tanya July 8, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Indian curry is my favorite – and ooh the soy sauce just amps it up a bit.

13 Jennifer July 10, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I made this last night and it was AMAZING! Such a great combo of flavors, thanks for the recipe!

14 Cookin' Canuck July 10, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Jennifer, I'm so glad you like this. Thanks for letting me know!

15 Carmen May 30, 2010 at 9:04 pm

dying to make this. Am I not seeing the printable version?

16 Cookin' Canuck May 31, 2010 at 12:14 am

Carmen, sorry about that. I haven't got around to adding printable versions to some of my older recipes. I added one for this recipe earlier today. I hope you enjoy it!

17 Sarah June 19, 2010 at 1:57 am

Wonderful! I made this tonight for my parents and I, I portioned 3 chicken breasts instead. I marinated them for about 3 hours and when I grilled them they were so tender and delicious! I made the sauce as well which didn't thicken well even with the 20 mins I put into it. Regardless, it was delicious as a little extra flavor to the grilled chicken and also to the saffron rice that I made served alongside. I was really happy with this recipe because I have been wanting to get my family to try a little bit of something "curry". I'm so explorative in my cooking and willingness to try new recipes. This recipe was perfect for encouraging others or yourself to try something (curry) without it being overwhelming.

Your site is great! I look forward to trying more of your recipe!