May 7
2009

Spiced Rhubarb Chutney (& Pork Tenderloin)

Spiced Rhubarb Chutney (& Pork Tenderloin)

The rhubarb chutney had to be listed first in the title because it absolutely takes center stage in this dish.  If it gives you any idea how good it is, my husband started it eating it by the spoonful and then piled it onto some ice cream after dinner.  Thank goodness for him he’s a marathoner and can burn that off in about 10 minutes.

When my husband was a young tike, he used to visit his grandparents’ farm in upstate New York. There are some darn cute pictures of him riding on a mini tractor, which my boys now get to ride on when they visit their grandparents.  One of my husband’s strongest mealtime memories from the farm was digging into the bowl of stewed rhubarb that was on the table at every meal.  I knew this chutney would be a hit with him!  And if it wasn’t, I’d get it all to myself.  Not a bad trade-off.
The Chutney
Here are the first stars…

So I made a little mistake…there is no coriander in this recipe. It should be cumin instead.

In a large pot, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup cider vinegar, 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp ground cloves.

Over low heat, bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until the sugar dissolves.

Chop about 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups).

Add the rhubarb, 1/2 cup chopped red onion, and 1/3 cup golden raisins to the sugar mixture.

The Pork

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Season one (1 1/2 lb) pork tenderloin with salt and pepper. In a large, oven-proof skillet set over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the pork and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.

Serve with the rhubarb chutney. Garnish with chopped green onions.

More rhubarb recipes to try:
Diana Rattray’s Rhubarb Crisp
Smitten Kitchen’s Big Crumb Coffee Cake
Rhubarb Chutney (& Pork Tenderloin)
adapted from a recipe from Bon Appetit
Chutney:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
4 cups 1/2-inch cubes fresh rhubarb (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup golden raisins (about 2 oz)
Pork:
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 1/2 lb), trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & pepper
For the chutney, combine the sugar, vinegar, ginger, garlic, cumin, ground cinnamon, and ground cloves in a large pot set over low heat.  Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Add the rhubarb, red onion, and golden raisins to the sugar mixture.  Turn up the heat to medium-high and cook until the rhubarb is soft, about 8-10 minutes. Cool completely. Serve at room temperature.
For the pork, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Season the pork tenderloin with salt and pepper. In a large, oven-proof skillet set over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Add the pork and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side.  Put the skillet into the oven and cook until a thermometer inserted into the center of the pork registers 150 degrees F. Remember that the temperature will rise about five degrees after the pork comes out of the oven. Let the pork rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
Serve the pork with the rhubarb chutney.
Serves 2-3.  If you cook a second pork tenderloin to serve 4, you will have enough rhubarb chutney to go around.

1 juliemorizet May 7, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Thanks! This looks delicious – and I have always wanted to cook with rhubarb but never did it. This will be my first.

2 Cookin' Canuck May 7, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Thanks, Julie. Rhubarb is very easy to cook with and rather forgiving. As long as you add some sugar and liquid, you’re going to end up with something tasty.

3 5 Star Foodie May 7, 2009 at 3:44 pm

I adore rhubarb and the rhubarb chutney sounds excellent with the pork!

4 Cyndi May 7, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I’ve never eaten rhubarb in my 52 years. Now that I’m making it a goal to try something new at least once a week, this goes on my list. I wonder if it would work with Splenda to lower the sugar some (a health concern for me) – maybe I’ll give it a try and let you know. It sounds really good.

5 Cookin' Canuck May 7, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Cyndi, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with Splenda. Let me know how that turns out. Yes, you MUST try rhubarb. It really is delicious – a good tangy and sweet combination (when cooked with sugar).

6 HannahBanana May 8, 2009 at 12:31 am

Oooh la la! Although I don’t eat pork, I’m thinking this chutney would be deelish with broiled fish…or ice cream like your husband had it! hahaa! thanks for sharing it!

7 Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 1:14 am

So this is perfect. I’ve got a garden full of rhubarb at the moment and I’m always looking for new ways to use it. It’s a very hardy and prolific producer in the garden. And our family eats pork tenderloin at least every week so I’m always looking for new ways to prepare the tenderloin just to keep life (somewhat) interesting. It’s all cooking on the stove at this moment so I’ll have to write back with our family’s opinion on the recipe. JS

8 Cookin' Canuck May 8, 2009 at 2:04 am

JS, I’m looking forward to hearing how it turns out for you!

9 andreasdreamkitchen May 8, 2009 at 4:29 am

Hmm, yum. All my favorites… rhubarb, pork, raisins … all in one dish.

10 Anonymous May 8, 2009 at 9:41 pm

OK, just to follow up. This recipe was both very delicious and incredibly easy to make. Now my dilemma is what to do with a motherload of rhubarb sauce. I think I will try freezing it in smaller portions to be pulled out at future dinners. Talk about fast food for a busy weeknight. Just cook the tenderloin, defrost the sauce, make a salad or other vegetable and dinner is done. A big thanks to Cookin’ Canuck for an easy and healthy recipe. JS.

11 Cookin' Canuck May 9, 2009 at 5:34 pm

JS, I’m glad to hear the recipe worked out for you. Yes, this chutney will freeze really well. It will also work really well on sandwiches, ice cream, and with chicken or fish.

12 ~M May 10, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I don’t eat pork, but this spiced rhubarb chutney looks delicious. Do you have any alternative suggestions as to what I could serve it?

Also, I’m curious as to the price of rhubarb in other parts of the country…it seems awfully expensive at the Whole Foods in Chicago.

Thanks!

13 Cookin' Canuck May 11, 2009 at 3:02 am

M, this is excellent with chicken or fish as well (or even over ice cream as I mentioned). In fact, I had it with some rotisserie chicken yesterday and it was the perfect accompaniment.

14 Amanda May 24, 2009 at 10:29 pm

That’s some gorgeous rhubarb chutney! I’ve just got my hands on some rhubarb and am at a bit of a loss–do you peel it first?

Great blog–I’m adding you to my feed.

15 Cookin' Canuck May 25, 2009 at 1:00 am

Thanks, Amanda. You don’t have to peel the rhubarb unless there are some stringy sections on the outside. Just give it a good scrub.

16 Maggy April 6, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Oh wow, this is like…another level of awesome deliciousness. I will be making this – seems like it would be great on top of anything!

17 Maria April 6, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Our rhubarb is coming up. I can't wait! I love rhubarb!

18 Michelle April 6, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Rhubarb Chutney is my favorite for any pork dish!

19 Tracy April 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm

You had me at rhubarb chutney!