Jul 31
2009

Recipe for Corn Salsa with Zing

Corn Salsa with Zing

Did you know that an ear of corn averages 800 kernels in 16 rows?  That’s a lot of little nuggets of flavor on one cob.  It’s no wonder that many of us become corn-obsessed by late July.  Now, I have always been a low-maintenance kind of corn eater.  Boil it, roll it in a little butter, salt it, and eat it.  At times, I do like to add a little “ding” noise, like an old typewriter, as I reach the end of the row.  This was merely for the entertainment of my two boys, of course.  However, I abruptly stopped this little show when one of them asked, “What’s a typewriter?  That sounds like something really old-fashioned.”

Bam!  Reality smacks me in the face!   Hair becoming grayer…wrinkles forming around eyes…

Is it not enough that I have to contend with the fact that my friends and I will be “celebrating” our 20-year high school reunion next month?  Just when I’m feeling youthful and vibrant, I’ll walk past a construction site and…nothing!  Not a wolf whistle, not a cat call, not one single “Hey, baby.”  What cruelty!

Ah well, we’ll always have corn.  Getting back to the recipe, this salsa can be used as a chip-dipping appetizer or as a perfect condiment for chicken, fish, pork, or beef.  My husband and I piled some on our salmon burgers last week.  What a treat!

Using two ears of cooked corn (boiled or grilled will do), cut the kernels off of the corn and place in a medium bowl.

Cut one half of a red bell pepper into 1/4-inch dice and add it to the bowl.

One of the reasons that I wanted to make this salsa was the appearance of the first ancho poblano pepper in my garden. Unfortunately, the pepper is out of focus, but you get the idea. You could also use a jalapeno pepper, though you might want to use only half of the jalapeno because it has more spice than the pepper I used.

Mince the pepper, removing the seeds and membranes if you want to temper the heat. Add the minced pepper to the bowl.

Stir in 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Gently stir in 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro.

Serve with the entree of your choice or just eat it straight if you love corn as much as I do.

Other corn recipes:
Simply Recipes’ Spicy Corn Fritters
Closet Cooking’s Avocado & Sweet Corn Salsa
White on Rice Couple’s Salmon-Corn Cakes

Corn Salsa with Zing

2 ears boiled or grilled corn
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 ancho poblano pepper or 1/2 – 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds & membranes removed, & minced
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the kernels off of the corn and place in a medium bowl.  Add the diced red bell pepper and minced hot pepper to the bowl.  Stir in the extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Gently stir in the chopped cilantro.  Serve.

Serves 4 as a condiment.

1 {kiss my spatula} July 31, 2009 at 5:40 am

your poblano looks just perfect cradled on its stem. love it. in fact, i love all peppers. the hotter, the better. and mixed with fresh corn?? fabulous! looking forward to giving this a try. thank you!

2 Ruth July 31, 2009 at 7:14 am

That Does look yummy! I could quite easily snack on it all day! And heres a wolf whistle coming your way lol

3 janet July 31, 2009 at 11:59 am

Looks so colorful and yummy!

4 Cooking Mama July 31, 2009 at 12:15 pm

That looks really good! You know I'm into the salsas these days. ;) Is that Polish pottery I spy? I LOVE that stuff. Need to get me some more!

5 Claudia July 31, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Ahh… I remember my "eating-the-corn-like-a-typewriter" days. They were even in cartoons of "our time." This looks delicious! Loving the corn season and all that it brings.

6 Jessie July 31, 2009 at 1:19 pm

wow! I love corn salsa, I also love the addition of poblano pepper to give the salsa that kick!

7 5 Star Foodie July 31, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Excellent corn salsa – the ancho poblano pepper is a great addition!

8 Cookin' Canuck July 31, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Thanks for the comments!

Ruth, thanks for the wolf whistle. I needed that!

Cooking Mama, it could be Polish pottery, but I'm not sure. I suppose I should know the answer to that since my married last name is Polish.

Claudia, thank you for reminiscing with me about the typewriter corn-eating.

9 HannahBanana aka Amanda July 31, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Beautiful! This would be good with so many things.
Ah yes…I'm doing the 20 year reunion this year too. Where the heck did the time go?

10 Angie's Recipes July 31, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Love the colour…so bright, but not loud…perfectly balanced!

Angie's Recipes

11 Tasty Eats At Home July 31, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I understand your pain. My kids wonder what a cassette tape is. I didn't think I was THAT old yet! This salsa looks yummy and fresh!

12 Maria July 31, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Great way to enjoy summer's sweet corn!

13 Kriskishere July 31, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I hate those "doh, I'm getting old" moments! The salsa looks fantastic, if only I could find some sweet corn around here…That's my gripe for the day! :)

14 Chef Fresco July 31, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Yum!! I love fresh salsa!

15 koshercamembert August 1, 2009 at 12:53 pm

I am visiting my parents right now and read your post to my mom. I'm not much younger than you, so we both had a good laugh at your post. I actually had to submit some of my med school applications (only 10 years ago!) on a typewriter and borrowed that of my 90-year old neighbor. Anyway, I adore corn salads and salsas and we will be making this soon. Thanks for the commentary.

You should visit Italy — you might get a nice pinch!

- Zahavah

16 Jackie at PhamFatale.com August 1, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Fun post to read lol

Love the flavor combination. I recently made the same sweet corn salad as you. Check my version at http://www.phamfatale.com/id_326/title_Ginger-and-Cilantro-Sweet-Corn-Salad/

17 Lana August 2, 2009 at 3:17 pm

Great post with a beautful photo! And I completely understand the typewriter=old thing. I'm a grandmother of two who are quite adept at making me feel ancient :-)

18 Lainie August 2, 2009 at 10:19 pm

That looks so delicious AND healthy…perfect combo!

19 whatwas August 4, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Getting old is only in our mind.
Age never prevented people from doing things: