Feb 22
2010

Mango & Lime Sorbet Recipe

Mango & Lime Sorbet

The Chinese certainly know how to ring in the new year. The first day of the lunar new year was on February 14th, but the festivities are far from over. Traditionally, the celebration lasts for 15 days, with each day dedicated to a different activity, such as praying to the ancestors and gods or lighting candles outside each house to guide wanton spirits home. The customary foods of Chinese new year are steeped in meaning and tradition, from wishes of wealth and prosperity to offerings for the gods. While we certainly don’t claim to have an understanding of all of the ins and outs of this complex celebration, the members of my cooking group wanted to pay homage to new year. And, really, it was a great excuse to cook and enjoy some delectable food with friends.

While mango sorbet is more often served in Japanese restaurants, I was looking for a light and refreshing dessert that would cleanse our palates at the end of a satisfying afternoon of cooking and eating. The sweetness of the mangoes, with the brightness of the lime juice and zest, really hit the mark. I will be sharing some of the other recipes over the next couple of weeks.

First, make a simple syrup. Place 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring, until the syrup is dissolved. Cool.

Cut 4 mangoes in half lengthwise, working the knife around the pit while keeping the skin of the two halves intact.

Lay the mango shells on a baking sheet and place in the freezer.

Place the flesh in a blender, along with 1 cup of the simple syrup, 1/4 cup lime juice, and 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest.

Scoop the mango sorbet into the mango shells, cover, and freeze for at least 6 hours, or until frozen hard.

Let the sorbet sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving. Garnish each with some finely grated lime zest. Serve.

Other sorbet recipes:

David Lebovitz’s Blood Orange Sorbet
Vanilla Garlic/Simply Recipes’ Plum Sorbet
Mark Bittman’s Pineapple-Ginger Sorbet
The Perfect Pantry’s Espresso Sorbet
Chocolate Gourmand’s Meyer Lemon Sorbet
Apple Pie, Patis & Pâté’s Raspberry Lambic Sorbet

Mango & Lime Sorbet
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
4 ripe mangoes
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tsp finely grated lime zest, plus more for garnishing

First, make a simple syrup. Place sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring, until the syrup is dissolved. Cool.

Cut mangoes in half lengthwise, working the knife around the pit while keeping the skin of the two halves intact. Using a spoon, gently scoop the flesh of the mango out of each half and cut any extra flesh from the pit. Lay the mango shells on a baking sheet and place in the freezer. Place the flesh in a blender, along with 1 cup of the simple syrup, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest. Purée until smooth and then pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Makes 6 cups of sorbet, or 8 servings.

1 Jenn February 22, 2010 at 6:05 am

I love mango!!! I don't care that's it very cold out right now. I want some of this sorbet!!! It'll definitely hit the spot right about now.

2 MaryMoh February 22, 2010 at 8:22 am

Ooooh…I love that. I love anything with mango. I would love to make this in summer.

3 Jessica @ How Sweet February 22, 2010 at 11:53 am

Beautiful presentation serving it in mango bowls – looks absolutely incredible!

4 Angie's Recipes February 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

CC, do you live in or near a Chinese community? You seem to understand lots of Chinese culture. :-)
These mango sorbets look so tempting!

5 Divina Pe February 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

That's really refreshing. We have a lot of mangoes now from our tree. They ripen very quickly because of the hot weather. This would be perfect right now.

6 Trix February 22, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I am sure this dessert will bring property and luck!! Yum.

7 Claudia February 22, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Truly kismet. I have a mango staring at me from the kitchen counter right now. I love the simplicity! I love the mango flavor shining through.

8 bunkycooks February 22, 2010 at 3:22 pm

This looks lovely! Sorbets are so refreshing and I like your presentation.

9 tspegar February 22, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Oh goodness that looks good! Pretty little presentation too! I can't wait to end a meal with this treat!

10 Maria February 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Fabulous dessert. I love the lime addition and Josh will too:)

11 Mary February 22, 2010 at 5:48 pm

What a wonderful recipe. Most auspicious. Thanks for sharing with us. Have a wonderful day.

12 Cookin' Canuck February 22, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Jenn – It's really chilly right here now, yet somehow I didn't mind eating this sorbet. The flavors were so refreshing that I actually forgot about the cold for a few minutes!

MaryMoh, Jessica, Bunkycooks, Tiff, Maria & Mary -Thank you!

Angie – There is a very large Chinese community in Vancouver, where I grew up and I had a lot of Chinese friends. Plus, I love to read about traditions (particularly involving food) of other cultures.

Divina – I am so envious that you have a mango tree!

Trix – Let's hope so!

13 Vegetable Matter February 22, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Beautiful sorbet. My kids don't like fresh fruit, but they love fruit sorbet. Go figure. I bet this would be a big hit with them. And the grown-ups too, of course.

14 afoodobsession February 22, 2010 at 8:12 pm

great flavors, mango brings out the tropical sunshine..

15 oneordinaryday February 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

So refreshing. I like that you used the mango shells as bowls. :)

16 Food o' del Mundo February 22, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I was craving ice cream in the worst way last week (it is forbidden in our house) this would have fit the bill perfectly – who cares if it's cold outside! LOVE that you used the mango peel for a boat! ~Mary

17 pegasuslegend February 23, 2010 at 12:20 am

Mango pie I love but ice cream omg that has to be awesome wow what a great recipe thanks

18 5 Star Foodie February 23, 2010 at 1:10 am

So refreshing and delicious! Mango is one of our favorite fruits!

19 citronetvanille February 23, 2010 at 2:32 am

This is a winner, I adore Mango and I can imagine how this must taste. Beautiful

20 Barbara Bakes February 23, 2010 at 2:51 am

What a gorgeous color! How fun to celebrate Chinese New Year. I'll look forward to your upcoming posts!

21 Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog February 23, 2010 at 3:28 am

What a refreshing delight -love everything with mango and more in a sorbet..yum yum :)

Have a great week,

Gera

22 Cristie February 23, 2010 at 5:18 am

What a refreshing dessert. I love the presentation. We missed you Saturday.

23 Cookin' Canuck February 23, 2010 at 5:45 am

Vegetable Matter – This was a big hit with my kids. And hey, if the only way you can get fruit into your kids is through sorbet – well then, sorbet it will be!

Afoodobsession, oneordinaryday, 5 Star Foodie, citronetvanille, and Gera – Thank you!

Mary – Sometimes you just have to break the rules, right?

Claudia – Ooo, mango pie sounds wonderful!

Barbara – I should have some of the posts up this and next week.

Cristie – Thank you. I hope all of you had a great time!

24 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) February 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I always put a pinch of black pepper into my mango sorbet. Sounds weird, I know, but the kick of the pepper brings out the sweetness of the fruit.

25 Tasty Eats At Home February 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I love how you served this sorbet in the mango shells – how creative. And I love to learn more about celebrations around the world – before I started blogging, I knew next to nothing about Chinese New Year. I'm far from being an expert, but all of my foodie friends are teaching me so much! Thank you!

26 Sally Vargas February 23, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I have been craving mango lately, so I'm on your wave length (or is it the other way around?) No tropical vacation in sight, so this hits the spot with winter still in full force. Thanks.

27 denise, the prime magpie February 23, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Yum, hooray for the beautiful mango! Amazing color and you just feel like you're transported to a sunny beach when you eat them. This sorbet looks divine!

28 JL February 24, 2010 at 4:00 pm

This is making my mouth water. I love mango and lime. Sounds like a perfect recipe to try during the summer.

29 My Little Space February 26, 2010 at 12:53 am

Hmm..mm….such a mouthwatering cold treat! I need this real bad. It's been extremely hot over here.

30 Jenny April 29, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Beautiful sorbet! So summery!