Jul 28
2010

Pesto Potato, Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella Salad Recipe

Pesto Potato, Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella Salad Recipe

When you have a marathoner in the family (um…not me), you have to plan to include some sort of carbs into each meal. Five mornings each week, my husband heads out to run anywhere from 7 to 21 miles and, on the other two days, he does strengthening workouts. The man burns some serious calories. Despite the fact that I run four days per week, my calorie burn total is like that of a sloth in comparison. That might have something to do with the fact that I run half the speed and distance as our resident Speedy Gonzales. This fact, however, does not stop me from trying to keep up with his massive consumption of food.

While we typically try to fill our plates with whole grain carbs, such as Ginger, Jalapeno & Coconut Brown Rice and Quinoa with Black Beans, Corn & Chipotle Peppers, occasionally we are tempted by other types of carbs. When I found these baby Yukon gold potatoes, freshly dug that morning, at my favorite farm stand, I knew they were destined for our dinner plates. Considering my husband’s dislike for mayonnaise and a fortuitous leftover bowl of Lemon & Almond Basil Pesto in the fridge, this salad fit our taste buds and time constraints.

Prepare 2 pounds of baby potatoes (Yukon Gold or red-skinned) by scrubbing an cutting the larger ones into bite-sized pieces. Place the potato pieces in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are tender when pierced with a fork, but not falling apart. Drain the potatoes and run them under cold water to stop further cooking.

Place the potatoes in a serving bowl and gently toss with 1/3 cup Lemon & Almond Basil Pesto or your favorite basil pesto until well combined.

Cut 6 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise. Cut 3 ounces fresh mozzarella into thin strips. Gently toss tomatoes and mozzarella with the potatoes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste. Serve or refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.

Other potato salad recipes with pesto:

Bitchin’ Camero’s Pesto & Smoked Salmon Potato Salad
Dani Spies’ Rustic Pesto Potato Salad
Coconut & Lime’s Radish Pesto Potato Salad
The Not So Skinny Kitchen’s Pesto Potato Salad

Pesto Potato, Tomato & Fresh Mozzarella Salad

2 lbs. baby potatoes (Yukon or red-skinned), scrubbed and cut in bite-sized pieces
Salt for the water
1/3 cup Lemon & Almond Basil Pesto, or your favorite pesto
6 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
3 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into thin strips
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Place the potatoes in a serving bowl and gently toss with pesto until well combined. Gently toss with tomatoes and mozzarella with the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve or refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.

Serves 6.

1 Elin July 28, 2010 at 4:21 am

CC…love this potato salad with lots of fresh mozarella …yummyummm and I am salivating and hungry now :)

2 pegasuslegend July 28, 2010 at 7:10 am

What a great new side dish for me love this one! all the perfect flavors in one dish lovely!

3 Emily July 28, 2010 at 9:55 am

Maybe is a guy thing for disliking mayo. Even though potato salad (with mayo) is my favourite, I don't think it keeps well under room temperature as a picnic dish.
Hence this recipe is perfect and overcome the shortfall of mayo. Plus, I like the idea of adding mozzarella to it. :)

4 en.gravatar.com February 18, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Why does this have to be the ONLY reliable source? Oh well, gj!

5 Recipe for Delicious July 28, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Caprese potato salad! What a great idea! I feel guilty about my lack of exercise reading about you two!

6 bellini valli July 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

I just love your baby Yukons in this salad.

7 Kalyn July 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Oh yum! Trying to get enough calories; now there's a good problem to have!

8 Weight Loss Tips July 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Your recipe looks lovely, can't wait to try it out on the family, thanks for sharing the pesto recipe.

9 tspegar July 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm

this looks so fresh and tasty! i love the flavor combo! my mother is a runner and astonishes me with her strength.

10 Maria July 28, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I hate mayo so I am loving this salad! Fantastic Dara!

11 ceecee July 28, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Hate mayo…love this!

12 Magda July 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Great salad, makes me wanna go to a market and buy these tiny delicious potatoes.

13 Suzanne aka vivisue July 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm

LOVE Yukons! They are hands down our favorite potato. I'll be a few little reds every now and then for green beans, but 99% it is the Yukon that wins at our house – even for baked potatoes! This looks delicious and a great diversion from regular mustard potato salad (which we love, too).

Sloths UNITE!

14 gina@whatsfordinnerasl July 28, 2010 at 4:08 pm

This is something I could eat everyday! I wish I could run like that! Thanks for sharing!
-Gina-

15 Angie's Recipes July 28, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I am not really a big potato fan, but this looks so delicious and would love to give them a try!

16 madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen July 28, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Great change from the usual mayo potato salad! Thanks, I'll give this a try.

17 Devaki July 28, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Oh Dara – How wonderful to actually eat a postatoe salad with freshpesto and mozza and those lovely tomatoes. And what a lucky man Speedy Gonzales is!

I doubt there is anyone out there who is enjoying your summer bounty posts as much as me :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

18 Kevin July 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm

I have been thinking about doing a pesto potato salad for a while. The tomatoes and mozzarella would be perfect in it!

19 Cookin' Canuck July 28, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Thanks you for all of your kind comments. It is nice to have a mayo-free option for potato salad in my repertoire.

20 Mags July 28, 2010 at 11:29 pm

I just made a fresh batch of pesto today and can't wait to try this!

21 Rochelle July 28, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Beautiful salad! I love pesto and your lemon, almond and basil version sounds perfect with tomatoes and potatoes :D I have to give this a try when I can get my hands on some good basil!!

22 tigerfish July 29, 2010 at 2:03 am

Time to make myself some pesto too! Your dish is tempting me.

23 A SPICY PERSPECTIVE July 29, 2010 at 3:16 am

YUM! What a great idea! This is a must try!

24 marla {family fresh cooking} July 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Dara, you are right, this is a great carbo loading meal perfect for a marathoner. My marathon days are over, but thankfully I still burn a lot of calories and would sure love this recipe! xo

25 Anna July 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm

That looks lovely, such nice combination of yummy flavors. And the picture looks beautiful.

26 Jean July 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm

You and your husband sound like me and my husband except that we cycle instead of run. We always have carbs because we're always hungry! :-)

I don't eat a lot of potatoes but when I do, I like to dress them up like you did here. Pesto is a wonderful addition; I think this is great, especially with the tomato and mozzarella. Yum!

27 Jackie at Phamfatale.com July 29, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Very original potato salad. I love the contrast in color. Need to forward this to hubby: the salad might help so he can get inspired and start being a marathoner as well. ;^)

28 wasabi prime July 29, 2010 at 6:59 pm

fabulous summer combo — we've been making quite a bit of pesto from the herbs growing like crazy and a salad is the perfect way to enjoy that flavor.

29 Choclette July 29, 2010 at 7:26 pm

This potato salad looks so good. Maybe if I made it I'd be able to run 20+ miles – hum!

30 GreedyRosie July 29, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Oh, my goodness, that looks great. I'm planning on roasting a chicken just to have this side dish to go with it!

I'm a big fan of homemade pestoes, but I can't have almonds – do you have anymore pesto recipes? I have a classic basil, paremsan and pinenut one but I see all sorts of things on the shelves in stores, just don't always know how to realise them in my own kitchen?

31 Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog July 29, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Your husband is marathoner wow I understand how much carbs are needed at your family.

You burn more kcals/fat running slowly than quick ;)

This Italian recipe is very comforting and yummy!

Cheers,

Gera

32 Stephanie July 29, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Mmmmm carbs! This sounds really good. I am in slight awe of your husband. I just started running a couple of months ago and am doing around 3 miles – I can't imagine running over 10! Maybe someday…

33 Magic of Spice July 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Fantastic dish :)

34 krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com July 30, 2010 at 3:14 am

wow, you guys really know how to stay in shape with running! i just recently started getting back on my treadmill, but i'm not anywhere close to your stamina. but burning that many calories really make you hungry. these potatoes will surely do the job of filling up your man! i'm a sucker for fresh mozarella cheese and tomatoes. mmm mmm good.

35 penny aka jeroxie July 30, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Pesto makes it such a better and healthier choice!

36 Tracy July 30, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Wonderful salad and a great way to get in more carbs!

37 Jenny July 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Oh baby this looks so good! LOVE potatoes….and everything else in this gorgeous salad!!

38 Cookin' Canuck July 30, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Gera, slow is better, huh? I'm going to feel good about my running pace, then!

GreedyRosie, I don't have any other pesto recipes on this site, but I would try something like macadamia nuts or cashews in place of the almonds or pine nuts. Cilantro pestos with cashews turn out really nicely, too.

39 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker August 1, 2010 at 12:51 am

OMG, I love this potato salad! The pesto is gorgeous and I love fresh mozzarella.

40 Maggy@ThreeManyCooks.com August 2, 2010 at 1:34 am

I love everything in this potato salad. Will definitely be making this!

41 Pacheco Patty August 2, 2010 at 2:43 am

Wonderful seasonal salad recipe featuring one of my favorite herbs, looks like a nice picnic dish:-)

42 Lauren @CoffeeMuffins August 5, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Those colours look wonderful! I love the idea of a pesto potato salad. I have some beautiful tiny local potatoes and this looks like such a great way to use them up. Thanks!

43 bed frame amish November 9, 2010 at 2:15 am

This is a very refreshing dish that you have here! I love it.