Aug 20
2010

White Chocolate & Ginger Coffee Cake Muffin Recipe

White Chocolate & Ginger Coffee Cake Muffin Recipe

This afternoon it rained in Salt Lake City. I do not mean light, sprinkling rain which urges you to frolic in puddles. I mean the kind of rain that prompts men with white beards to build large wooden boats and round up animals two-by-two. When it first started, the boys and I cuddled together by the front window to watch the show. As sheets of rain blew past our window and three-quarters of the street was covered in a river of fast-flowing mud and water, I started to become a little concerned. I went into the garage to check on the canoe that my husband was buffing last weekend. Floatable device – check. Lifejackets – check. Just before I called for all hands on deck, the rain thankfully started to slow to a mere shower and the drains were able to swallow the overflow of water.

As we were watching the torrent outside, the temperature dropped to 55 degrees F. No longer was I craving ice cream and lemonade. Rather, autumn began to slip into my thoughts and I flipped on the oven to make these coffee cake muffins. The first time I made these sweet, comforting muffins a few months ago, I mixed Heath Bar chunks into the streusel. This time, I replaced the nutmeg and cinnamon with ground ginger and stirred in a large handful of white chocolate chips. The chocolate chips melted slightly while baking, but retained their shape for the most part. My kids were thankful to warm their insides with one of these treats shortly after I popped these muffins out of the oven.

Streusel:
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.

Cut 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) chilled butter into 1/2-inch pieces and cut into the brown sugar mixture with a pastry cutter or your fingers.

When the mixture resembles coarse meal, stir in 3/4 cup white chocolate chips.

Making the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1 teaspoon ground ginger.

Combine 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter and 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar in a large bowl, and blend with a mixer until fluffy. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Fold in the flour mixture alternately with 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I used 2%, but whole milk yogurt would work well, too), beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Do not overmix.

Fill with the rest of the batter and top with the remaining streusel.

Bake until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes, rotating the pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through baking.

Other muffins with white chocolate:

La Tartine Gourmande’s White Chocolate Muffins with White Chocolate Icing & Pistachios
Pinch My Salt’s Cherry Banana Muffins with White Chocolate Chips

3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain (2% or whole) yogurt

Streusel:
In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cut butter into 1/2-inch pieces and cut into the brown sugar mixture with a pastry cutter or your fingers. When the mixture resembles coarse meal, stir in white chocolate chips.

Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger. Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl, and blend with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.

Fold in the flour mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Do not overmix.

Coat 1 1/2 muffin tins (18 cups) with cooking spray. Fill each cup one-third full with batter. Using half of the streusel mixture, generously top the batter. Fill with the rest of the batter and top with the remaining streusel.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack. Serve.

Makes 18 muffins.

1 Lora August 20, 2010 at 6:25 am

The flavors…oh yum. I just love this…

2 JodieMo August 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

Oh these look so delicious. I could cuddle up with a couple of these no problem. And I envy your 55 degree weather. It's still hot as blazes here in the South. I really want autumn to come already!

3 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) August 20, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Even though I live in a log house that leaks, I'm a big fan of epic rain storms. And although I often wish for something warm in the oven when it rains, I usually wish it would be someone else doing the baking! I'm sure your kids loved these; they look delicious.

4 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 20, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I love coffee cake! What a fun flavor combination, I'd love to make these some weekend for some family!

5 alison August 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm

This looks great! Love the ginger in this recipe!

6 Emily Malloy August 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Beyond lovely!

7 Suzanne aka vivisue August 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I grew up with coffee cake being something for breakfast AND dinner. It a great childhood memory and one I had forgotten until I saw your post. Since I "missed" your first post with the Heath Bar ingredient – Toffee RULES! – I will have to start with that one, first!

Please send the 55 degree temps and the rain our way. We are still 100+ every day and no rain for weeks! I'm putting on my galoshes and raincoat later and headed to the backyard to do a little dance. I hope that helps . . .

8 Jenny August 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm

mmmmm! Love this!!

9 Faith August 20, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Coffee cake. I dore it! you've done it beautifully. Thanks for sharing this.

Faith

10 Angie August 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm

So beautiful, the recipe, your dishes, and your photo!

11 Devaki August 20, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Dear DARA – Just reading the title made me gulp atleast twice! Gorgeous! Your description of the rain was totally chuckle worthy! :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

12 melissa August 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog. I love it. Thanks for your posts. I will be back for more!

13 Cookin' Canuck August 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Lora, Rachel, Alison, Emily, Jenny, Faith, Angie & Devaki – Thank you!

Jodie – Unfortunately, the 55 degrees was only a tease. The temperature is going back up to 97 tomorrow.

Lydia – It is always more fun when someone bakes something special for you.

Suzanne – The Heath bar ones are my personal favorites – there's just something about toffee and chocolate.

Melissa – I'm glad you stopped by my blog and I hope you'll come by again.

14 Kate August 21, 2010 at 12:29 am

I love crystallized ginger! And, heath bars sound heavenly. Maybe butterfinger bars? Wish I had the time to fix 10% of the wonderful recipes I find on Foodbuzz!! Kate (kateiscooking.blogspot.com)

15 Magic of Spice August 21, 2010 at 7:16 am

Wow rain! These are most incredible muffins…They look gorgeous :)

16 penny aka jeroxie August 21, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Love the use of ginger :) Nice touch.

17 greedyrosie August 21, 2010 at 3:37 pm

The weather has been like that here too. Yay! I love a rainstorm.
Those muffins look so delicious. I'm going to have to put yet another thing on the list of 'sweet things to make, do and eat'!

18 Monet August 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Thank you for visiting my blog…I just picked up some crystallized ginger at the store this morning…perfect! I love white chocolate, so I know I'll love these!

19 Debbie August 21, 2010 at 11:11 pm

Besides these muffins looking delicious, I really like your staging and all the beautiful plates and teacups!

20 marla {family fresh cooking} August 21, 2010 at 11:37 pm

These white chocolate ginger muffins sound amazing! Just perfect for snuggle weather. I do have to admit I am excited for the Fall season. Love the flavors & energy of the cooler times of year. xo

21 Cheah August 22, 2010 at 12:27 am

Gosh, the muffins look so appealing! You have a lovely set of China out there and nice clicks!

22 megan August 22, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I cant wait to welcome Fall, my favorite time of the year! I envy your rainy day and these muffins. I would love to bundle up and bake. Pretty dishes!

23 Angie's Recipes August 22, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Love the streusel muffins! They are indeed perfect to go with a couple of espresso!

24 Carol Egbert August 22, 2010 at 8:21 pm

It's raining here, right now. May I please have a muffin to go with my cup of tea? Thank you.

25 Pacheco Patty August 22, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Gorgeous photo of a wonderful fresh baked homemade muffin, what a lovely recipe! Thanks for visiting my blog, I always see recipes I like here:-)

26 tspegar August 23, 2010 at 2:56 am

this looks like the perfect little introduction treat to fall… i like it.

27 A SPICY PERSPECTIVE August 23, 2010 at 3:57 am

Gorgeous muffins! This is a lovely recipe!

28 Michelle August 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Such pretty muffins and I bet they tasted delicious with the white chocolate chips!

29 Maggy@ThreeManyCooks.com August 23, 2010 at 12:28 pm

These look absolutely delicious! Would love one of these for breakfast with the cup of coffee I'm enjoying. White chocolate and ginger – great flavor combo too!

30 Maria August 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

An extra reason to wake up in the morning. Love these Dara!

31 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker August 23, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I adore ginger, and have never tried it paired with white chocolate. Coffee cake muffins sounds like the perfect reason to try it!

32 Tracy August 24, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I love the combination of flavors in these muffins! Yum!

33 Rochelle August 24, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I would have never thought to pair ginger and white chocolate together, but if these taste as absolutely delicious as they look, it must be a perfect pairing :D

34 Aggie October 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm

your photography is Stunning!!

These look amazingly delicious.

35 barbara April 3, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Amazingly done… I will surely make these everyday! Kidding, just on special occasions…