Dec 9
2011

Foodiecrush Magazine Debut & A Recipe Feature

FoodieCrush-Cover

If you are part of the food blogging world, you likely heard about the debut of FoodieCrush Magazine, produced by Heidi Larsen of the blog Foodiecrush. If you are not a food blogger, then I will tell you that you need to check out this gorgeous online magazine…stat! With a long career in the magazine business under her belt, Heidi knows how to produce a magazine with a stylish layout, stunning photos and engaging content. If a magazine can have heart, FoodieCrush Magazine has it. It delves into the lives of food bloggers and their passion for cooking and sharing those recipes with friends and family.

For all of these reasons, my family and I were thrilled to appear alongside Kelley of Mountain Mama Cooks and her darling family in a feature on Aprés-ski recipes and the stories behind those recipes. Be sure to flip through every page of this magazine. You are bound to spot many of your favorite food bloggers.

When Heidi first approached Kelley and I about appearing in the debut issue of Foodiecrush, neither of us had a moment’s hesitation before agreeing. First of all it meant that we were going to have the opportunity to hang out together all day, cooking and enjoying a wonderful aprés ski meal with our husbands and kids, Heidi and the very talented photographer, Britt Chudleigh. (Every one of the photos in this post are taken by Britt. She was very patient with me as I hung over her shoulder, asking her questions about aperture and shutter speed, and occasionally standing in her light.) Spending an afternoon cooking with Kelley, a personal chef, was lovely in every way. She is a down-to-earth lady with a kind heart, a whole lot of spunk and an affinity for pairing flavors and textures.

Foodiecrush Post Collage 1
Photos by Britt Chudleigh

The second reason that Kelley and I jumped at Heidi’s offer was that we both knew that Heidi’s vision for this magazine was clear and she approached the project with passion. However, neither of us knew how talented she actually is. I think it is now apparent that she has more creativity and skill in one eyelash than I have in my entire being. On top of that, she is a good person…to the core. The kind of person you trust with your children and your secrets.

Foodiecrush Post Collage 2
Photos by Britt Chudleigh

So, what are you going to find in this article about Aprés ski entertaining? Lots of great photos, engaging writing, Kelley’s recipes for Caramelized Onion Dip with Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes (have mercy!), Hot Buttered Rum (hic!), Fresh Kale Salad and Salted Chocolate Chip Brownies and my recipes for Bacon & Cheddar Cheese Puff Pastry Palmiers, Mulled Spiced Apple Cider, Classic Cheese Fondue, Meat & Vegetable Fondue and Curry Yogurt Sauce. Yes, it was a feast fit for a couple of rosy-cheeked, outdoors-loving families.

Foodiecrush Post Collage 3
Photos by Britt Chudleigh

As for the rest of the issue – well, I won’t spoil the surprise. Let’s just say that you will be set with all the recipes your heart could desire for holiday baking and entertaining.

Foodie Crush Apres Ski_Britt Chudleigh 023
Photos by Britt Chudleigh

Well done, Heidi! I can’t wait for the next issue.

1 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 9, 2011 at 5:25 am

Congrats on being featured! This magazine is beautiful!

2 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 8:34 am

Thanks, Katrina. Heidi really did an amazing job, didn’t she?

3 Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray December 9, 2011 at 6:24 am

Loved the magazine and loved your feature! I just wanted to be there in the kitchen with you two!

4 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thanks, Rachel. We would love to have you there with us!

5 Belinda @zomppa December 9, 2011 at 6:36 am

Beautiful magazine and so gorgeous!! Love the treats….

6 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

Belinda, there are so many amazing recipes in this magazine. They could keep me busy in the kitchen for ages!

7 bellini December 9, 2011 at 6:42 am

I have browsed the magazine as soon as it came out and it is a great read as well as full of creative ideas.

8 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 8:36 am

I agree. It’s so well written and packed full of great ideas and recipes.

9 Allison December 9, 2011 at 6:44 am

How neat! I am going to check it out right now!!

10 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 8:36 am

You won’t be disappointed!

11 Becky at Vintagemixer December 9, 2011 at 8:38 am

lovely post! I devoured the magazine and thought it was fabulous! I especially liked the piece on you and Kelley!

12 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 8:54 am

Thanks, Becky. The magazine is really something else, isn’t it?

13 foodwanderings December 9, 2011 at 8:40 am

Congrats Dara on the feature. Seems like such a wonderful day spent on the shoot and you got your family with you to enjoy the process.! :) Happy holidays the magazine looks fab!

14 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 8:54 am

Thanks, Shulie. We had a wonderful time cooking, shooting, eating and spending time together.

15 Annalise December 9, 2011 at 8:59 am

I was excited to see the feature with you and Kelley, guys did such a great job. And it looked like so much fun! I’m in total awe of Heidi and her talents, the magazine is stunning. Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

16 Heidi @foodiecrush.com December 9, 2011 at 9:39 am

Thank you Annalise! XOXO see you Sat.

17 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 11:36 am

Thanks, Annalise. We really did have a great day. “In awe” would describe my feelings about Heidi and the magazine, too.

18 Heidi @foodiecrush.com December 9, 2011 at 9:39 am

Oh. My. Word. I shed a tear when I did my post about the magazine’s debut, but now you have the waterworks flowing again—my mom has always said my bladder lives behind my eyeballs—but seriously Dara! I’m not sure what to say. This post has totally moved me and 100% reinforces the mission I have for FoodieCrush, to highlight the amazing talent—and warm homes and hearts—of food bloggers such as yourself. Everything you said in your post about me is a direct reflection of yourself, your talent, your authenticity and your generosity.

The fact that you and Kelley were game to roll with the idea, yet knew relatively little about what the outcome would be or how the magazine would look, is a true testament to you both. I’m so, so, so happy to be able to call you a friend and humbled and thrilled you’re pleased with the outcome.

And if you should ever decide to forgo food blogging, I’m hiring you to do my P.R. :). XOXOXO

19 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 11:37 am

I meant every word of it, Heidi. How lucky I am to have you as a friend and I am absolutely blown away by your talent. xo

20 snippets of thyme December 9, 2011 at 11:13 am

What a wonderful opportunity and a fun time to boot! Can’t wait to see this new creation.

21 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 9, 2011 at 11:37 am

Make sure you check it out. You’ll get lost in it and want to read every page.

22 Delishhh December 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm

The magazine is just gorgeous and congrats of being featured – it’s just awesome!

23 MikeVFMK December 9, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Great post, Dara! Love the magazine, but that goes without saying. I assumed you had taken the pictures! I’m sure you would have done a wonderful job with it. Sounds like the day was a blast. So glad to see you and your family in it!

24 Melissa // thefauxmartha December 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Loved reading your spreads and the rest of the magazine for that matter! I stayed up way too late Monday night reading it….maybe that’s why I got sick this week. It was worth it.

25 Kelley December 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’ve always considered my self lucky that I was able to make a living as a personal chef, something I love so much. Never did I think that when I started blogging I would meet so many wonderful people and be welcomed into a community of such talented beautiful women. I guess my luck continues…..thank you Dara and Heidi for your support, your friendship and above all else inspiring me with your photos, words and food. Much love to you both. xx

26 Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook December 10, 2011 at 9:53 am

I’m way out of the loop, I didn’t know about the magazine! Heading over to check it out now and see about subscribing. Thanks for bringing to my attention. :)

27 Jeanette December 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

Congrats Dara – beautiful layout and gorgeous photos, looks like a fun day!

28 Carolyn December 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm

How fun, Dara. It certainly looks like a gorgeous magazine.

29 Sandy December 11, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Loved your feature with Kelley. So beautiful and warm… I felt like I had been invited to your home. And, as always, your family is just adorable.
I’ve never actually been to an après ski get together, not much snow in these here parts. I’m going to have to come up with a Southwest après something… It looks like too much fun.

30 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. December 12, 2011 at 6:11 am

congrats on your feature! I love the magazine!! Such a good post

31 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen December 12, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Gorgeous feature Dara!

32 JulieD December 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Congrats, Dara!! Love the pictures of you!!

33 Marly December 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Congrats. What a great honor! Lovely photos too!

34 Aggie December 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I just love you two…pretty ladies, pretty smiles and the most wonderful spirits. Seriously wish I could spend more time with you both. xo

35 Marla December 15, 2011 at 6:16 am

Dara, thanks for sharing a behind the scenes glimpse of the mag. That last photo of you is stunning as are all of the photos. Britt is sooooo talented. Heidi is certainly a seasoned pro and it shows in every stylish thing she does. Congrats to you all for a job well done & I bet that aprés ski day was a blast for ALL of you :) xo