Feb 24

Our Favorite Healthy Breakfast & Brunch Recipes

{On a side note, be sure to check back on Monday. I’ll be sharing my weight loss journey, complete with before (ugh, painful) and after photos, and the tips that helped me reach my goal.}

The weekend is here, which means my mind automatically turns to lazy breakfasts and brunches with the family. Well, perhaps I can’t exactly call them lazy. Saturday usually starts with my husband heading off for one of his short runs (in his language, that means about 8 miles). Once he’s back, I pull on my running gear and meet up with my running buddy for our long run of the week (Funnily enough, that’s about the same distance as my husband’s short run. Not right.) Sunday is my day off from running, the day when my screaming muscles insist that I spend a good portion of the day on my butt and none of the day anywhere near my running shoes. Instead, I hobble into the kitchen and set to work making some form of pancakes, waffles or eggs.

Weekday mornings are made up of quick and healthy breakfast options, such as Healthy Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits, Low Fat Granola Bars, or Make-Ahead Egg Wraps. On the weekend, we turn to recipes that will refuel our bodies after our long runs and get us ready for a day of soccer games, swimming at the pool and household chores.

Here are some of our favorite healthy breakfast options:

Quick and easy weekday recipes:
When you’re trying to get the kids moving in the morning, you’re pulling together everything you need for the day and the to-do list is screeching your name, a quick and easy breakfast is a necessity. These three recipes can be made ahead or thrown together in minutes.

Healthy Breakfast Collage 1

Left to right:
Low Fat Granola Bars with Bananas, Cranberries & Pecans
Healthy Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits with Blueberries & Granola
Make-Ahead Egg Wraps with Ham, Avocado & Salsa

Weekend favorites:
The weekend is the time to play around with new flavors and recipes. Of course, you can pull out the sweet, decadent breakfast items, such as Heath Bar Cinnamon Rolls, which simply have to be made and enjoyed every once in a great while. However, we like to whip up some dishes that are high in fiber and protein, and full on flavor, to give us energy for our family activities.

Left to right:
Mini Egg Frittatas with Broccoli, Cheddar & Chipotle Pepper
Whole Wheat Waffles with Blueberry Maple Syrup
Southwestern Eggs Benedict with Black Bean Spread, Avocado & Salsa

Favorites with a little naughtiness:
Yes, I’m eating a little healthier these days, but that doesn’t mean that I’ve forsaken everything that contains my favorite salty fat – bacon. These recipes have a bit of bacon or pancetta for decadent flavor, but still can be considered healthy breakfast options. Everything in moderation, I say.

Healthy Breakfast Collage 3

Left to right:
Frittata with Pancetta, Mushrooms & Roasted Garlic
Make-Ahead Baked Eggs with Bacon, Mushrooms & Sage

I’d love to hear about your favorite healthy breakfast options. Feel free to share your ideas or links in the comment section.

Enjoy your weekend!

1 brandi February 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm

breakfast is my favorite meal, always. and those parfaits look incredible – i can’t wait for warmer weather!

2 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:04 am

Thanks, Brandi. I eat those parfaits about three times per week, using either frozen blueberries or frozen marionberries.

3 Erica February 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I made your low fat granola bars recently and was surprised at how sweet and delicious they were – even with no added sugar! They were perfect mid-afternoon snacks at work. So easy to grab and go. Thanks SO MUCH for the recipe! Its definitely one I’ll be making over and over again.

4 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:05 am

Erica, I’m so glad you enjoyed them. I make a batch of these about every week or so and we snack on them whenever we have the chance.

5 claudia lamascolo/aka pegasuslegend February 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Cant wait to stop back and see your results, it is painful. I lost 12 pounds since October and feel so much better! Congrats to your stamina and dedication I know all too well how hard it is to resist when blogging. It really doesnt help a diet! See you Monday! Love that mushroom pancetta!

6 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:06 am

Congratulations, Claudia! That’s fantastic! It is amazing how much better you can feel by dropping a little weight.

7 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I have to admit, I’m a little lazy when it comes to breakfast most of the time and will usually go with a green smoothie or a bowl of fruit and yogurt.

8 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:07 am

Sylvie, those sounds like great breakfasts to me. The important thing is fitting in some good fuel first thing in the morning.

9 Carolyn February 24, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Good for you for getting into running, Dara. It hardly matters whether your long is the same as your husband’s short…you are out there doing it! Rock on!

10 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks, Carolyn. I always tease my husband about his extra-long distances, but am very happy with what I’ve accomplished so far.

11 Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen February 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Dara I am so excited and rejoice with you! I can’t wait till my long run is 8 miles!! You go!

12 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks so much, Katrina. You can do it!

13 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 24, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Is it morning yet?! 😉 So drool-worthy! I love parfaits and wraps!!

Congrats on your weight loss journey.. Can’t wait for the updates :)

14 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

Thanks so much, Kiran. The journey has been a process, but so rewarding.

15 Liz February 25, 2012 at 6:57 am

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your goal! That’s fabulous! And thanks for sharing so many wonderful, healthy breakfast ideas :)

16 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:09 am

Thanks so much, Liz. These breakfast dishes definitely set me on the right path in the morning.

17 Maria February 25, 2012 at 7:01 am

Love all of your recipes! The whole wheat waffles are calling my name right now:)

I am addicted to Green Smoothies. Here is my favorite recipe: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/green-smoothie/

I also love this Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/apple-cinnamon-baked-oatmeal/

18 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 25, 2012 at 7:10 am

Thanks, Maria! We always make extras of the whole wheat waffles and freeze them. They make a quick breakfast for the boys on school mornings. Both your green smoothies and baked oatmeal look and sound fantastic. I really need to experiment more with green smoothies.

19 Jeanette February 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Love all these healthy breakfast recipes and can’t wait to read your post on Monday. I make oatmeal and smoothies for my kids for breakfast most school days. For myself, I prefer savory to sweet at breakfast, like vegetarian refried beans topped with a poached egg, salsa and avocado, or whole grain toast with smashed avocado, sardines, lemon juice and fresh ground pepper.

20 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 26, 2012 at 9:00 am

Thanks, Jeanette. I prefer savory over sweet too and really like the sound of your breakfast ideas!

21 Sara{OneTribeGourmet} February 25, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Dara, thank you for such great breakfast/brunch ideas! Tomorrow morning I’m going to try your Egg Frittata with Broccoli, cheddar & chipotle peppers recipe, it looks so good and I think my family with thank me! :)

22 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 26, 2012 at 9:01 am

Thanks, Sara. I hope that you enjoy the mini frittatas. The kids always love them!

23 Sweetsugarbelle February 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Im a green smoothie gal too. Love them. Cannot wait to see how far you’ve come. It’s encouraging to someone at the beginning.

24 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) February 26, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thank you, Callye. The first steps are always the hardest, but I promise that it gets easier. You can do it!

25 eila @ the full plate blog February 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

We’re big fans of frittatas here too. The other recipe that is one of our go-to’s is from my elementary school cookbook. I had such fond memories of these protein pancakes that I now make them for my elementary-age children!:
my go-to recipe for a healthful breakfast that the kids love: http://fullplatecookinglessons.blogspot.com/2010/02/effortless-pancakes-and-frittatas-on.html
We’ve been topping them with Greek Yogurt and fresh or frozen berries. I usually make a double batch on a weekend morning and then they reheat beautifully throughout the week. Enjoy!

26 Russell van Kraayenburg February 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I love all these breakfast ideas! They kind of put my not-so-healthy cinnamon rolls I had this morning for breakfast to shame. Whoops! At least I’ve got some healthy breakfast inspiration now.

27 Judit @WineDineDaily February 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Oh my all these wonderful breakfast ideas! Can’t wait to try your Yogurt Breakfast Parfaits with Blueberries & Granola.
Cheers :)

28 Dianne@Maids February 26, 2012 at 11:43 pm

great review for a healthy breakfast , i already tried some of them still browsing the other post :) really thanks for sharing this.

29 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective February 27, 2012 at 5:55 am

Oh Dara, I want that chipotle frittata. What a great lineup of breakfast yummies!