Dec 12
2012

Healthy Broccoli & Cheddar Soup Recipe with Smoked Paprika

Healthy Broccoli & Cheddar Soup Recipe with Smoked Paprika by Cookin' Canuck

Vegetable soups are always a great way to sneak a little roughage into your diet. After one too many Chocolate & Peppermint Cheesecake Bars, it was time to think “light”. I’ve been wanting to tackle Broccoli and Cheddar Soup for awhile. Typically, this soup is laden with cream and piles of cheese. The challenge was to make a healthier version (in other words, no cream and less cheese) without sucking out all the flavor or sacrificing texture. And why don’t we add some non-meat protein while we’re at it?

I found a way to thicken the soup without using cream or a roux. To read about the trick I used and for the full recipe, head over to I Wash, You Dry, where I’m guest posting today.

While you’re there, be sure to check out some of Shawn’s healthy recipes, such as Open Faced Egg & Avocado Sandwich or Zesty Grilled Santa Fe Chicken. Or dive into some of her irresistible holiday recipes, such as Peppermint Fudge or Eggnog Bread.

If you’re looking for more healthy soup recipes, head over to my soup section. There are plenty to choose from!

1 Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen December 12, 2012 at 6:19 am

Smoked paprika is magical I think, don’t you?

2 Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen December 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

I think smoked paprika is one of my favorites! I throw that stuff on everything…

I love soups during the winter and have to try really hard to find recipes that my hubby will like because he prefers a heartier meal…

3 Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings December 12, 2012 at 11:47 am

looks delicious- perfect on a cold day!

4 Jen @ Savory Simple December 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Dara, this is SO timely. I’m on a diet journey at the moment (I’ve put on a bit since culinary school 2 years ago) and this is one of my FAVORITE soups. I’ve been wondering how to lighten it up. I’m off to get the recipe. Thank you thank you!

5 Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 13, 2012 at 12:06 am

Oh this sounds delicious with the smoked paprika, great idea!

6 Jersey Girl Cooks December 13, 2012 at 10:06 am

I could use a healthier soup with all the treats I have been eating. This looks delicious!

7 Donna December 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I gave up this soup because my favorite recipe was SO fatty and naughty. Must try your version.

8 Siu December 14, 2012 at 12:49 am

Definitely want to try this. How can I modify it for the slow cooker with dried beans?

9 Linda December 17, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I love broccoli soup, but can never justify the “cream” soup part. So this was a wonderful change – my whole family loved it, and no one guessed that the cream was actually beans. Thanks!