Dec 13
2013

Low-Fat Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Spiced Pepitas

This vegan and gluten-free butternut squash soup is irresistibly creamy and flavorful. The spiced pepitas are downright addictive.
Low-Fat Butternut Squash Soup Recipe with Spiced Pepitas | cookincanuck.com #soup

“Crazy runners. What are they thinking?!” It’s clearly written on the drivers’ faces as they pass by my running partner and I when we venture out on mornings when the thermometer reads 9 degrees F.

We layer up well, as I talked about in Running in Cold Weather: My Tips & Tricks, but still come back with frozen hair and eyelashes (yeah, remember that picture from last year’s running adventures?) We may be a little crazy, but there is no better way to start the day than with a good sweat.

On those chilly running days, I crave hot foods all day long: scrambled eggs, soups, stewshot toddies. If it’s hot, I consume it.

This butternut squash soup is not only warming and rich in flavor, but it happens to be vegan, gluten-free, low-fat and packed with vitamins. The spiced pepitas are like savory candy – you won’t be able to stop eating them. Pepitas can be found in the bulk food section of most well-stocked supermarkets.

Head to allParenting for the butternut squash soup recipe.

More new recipes:

Here are a couple more recipes that I recently posted on allParenting. Both of these are fantastic options for the holidays. The stuffed mushrooms are sure to be a hit at any cocktail and the stuffed French toast is the perfect option for feeding a crowd of hungry relatives.

Wonderful Holiday Recipes | cookincanuck.com
Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage & Breadcrumbs
Overnight Cinnamon French Toast Casserole

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 13, 2013 at 4:29 am

Definitely trying this – it sounds great!

2 Tieghan December 13, 2013 at 6:41 am

I have been hiking in negative temperature every morning for the last week and half, so I totally know what you mean! But I have to start my day with a hike or I am totally out of sorts!

This soup look so great! I love butternut squash anything!

3 Aggie December 13, 2013 at 7:54 am

I gotta give it to you all in the non-FL states…I have my seat warmer on in my car at 50 degrees this morning lol. I don’t know how you do it!!!
This bowl of soup would warm up your bones though, it looks delicious and so good for you! I LOVE the addition of the pepitas!

4 Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen December 13, 2013 at 11:49 am

I love getting crazy looks from passerby when I’m running on super cold/hot/rainy days!

Great soup, Dara!

5 The Wimpy Vegetarian December 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I always have spiced pepitas on hand – perfect of butternut squash soup. I’m on my way to check out your recipe, Dara, but have to say you’ve really motivated me to get my butt to the gym….

6 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking December 13, 2013 at 2:58 pm

It’s been so chilly in Austin and I’ve wanted nothing more than butternut squash soup lately! This is perfect, Dara. A must-make on my list for sure.

7 Aimee @ Simple Bites December 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm

My kind of soup, Dara!

I haven’t been out running, but Clara *loves* her daily ride in the sled, and that is a good workout, let me tell you.

8 martha@ simple nourished living December 14, 2013 at 3:44 pm

This butternut squash soup looks amazing! I’ve bookmarked it to try soon. And I know just what I’m going to do with the container of raw pepitas in my freezer. Thanks for the tasty inspiration.

9 Nutmeg Nanny December 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I can’t resist butternut squash soup :) this recipe is perfect!