Mar 30
2014

Run Like a Girl: My Favorite Things

Getting ready for spring running? Here is a list of some of my favorite running gear, from shoes to skirts. Plus, looking forward to upcoming races.
Run Like a Girl: My Favorite Things | cookincanuck.com #running #runwithdara #exercise #fitness

It was a big day for my son (M). Two weekends ago, he ran his first 10k race, with my husband pacing him the whole way. It was a joy to see the two of them running together, even though a tiny twinge in my heart reminded me that M’s 8:07 pace meant that I can no longer keep up with him. But it was worth every moment, every mile and every twinge to see the huge smiles on both of their faces as they crossed the finish line.

Without a doubt, that was my favorite running thing in the past couple of weeks, but I do have a few other cool things to share with you.

With the weather starting to warm up (too slowly for some of you, I know…I promise I’m not trying to rub it in!), it’s becoming more important to make sure that I have plenty of water available for hydration. This hydration belt is one I’ve used for a couple of years. It has four bottles, with the option to add more, a place to store my key and phone (in case of emergency) and it comes in a variety of sizes.

Yep, this sounds about right…
Run Like a Girl: My Favorite Things | cookincanuck.com #running #runwithdara #fitness

In a little over two weeks, the four of us will jump on a plane and head to Boston for the marathon. As some of you may know, we were at the finish line last year to support my husband as he completed his second running of the storied marathon. There will be a different feel to it this year, of course. But the running community is strong and resilient and we will all be there to celebrate running and personal challenges…and we will be there to remember and honor those affected by the events of last year’s event.

Last year at the Boston Marathon expo, I bought my first skirt from Running Skirts and fell in love with their products. A couple of months ago, I bought this cute skirt and have been waiting for the weather to warm up to try it out.

After running in the same shoes for years, I’m switching things up a bit and trying something new. I slipped on this pair of Altra Zero Drop shoes for the first time this week. The first couple of runs were an adjustment, but I have to say that I am falling madly in love.

One of the key features of Altra shoes is the wide toe box, which allows the runner’s toes to splay naturally as they would if walking or running barefoot. After years of wearing a shoe with a smaller toe box, this felt strange at first. Now my feet are thanking me! I’ll be continuing to run in the shoes and increasing my mileage in them, and I’ll be sure to report back.

We are a family that runs together, so my husband will be trying out these Altras after running the Boston Marathon (he didn’t want to make a significant shoe switch pre-race).

My older son has fallen head over heels with his new Altras (yep, they make them for kids, too). He has logged quite a few miles in them already, and some shin pain that he experienced pre-new shoes has disappeared.

Do you have any favorite running gear or stories?

Please share in the comments!

And just in case you missed any posts this week, be sure to dive into these healthy recipes:

Healthy Recipes | cookincanuck.com
One-Pot Turkey Sausage & Bean Ragout
Healthy No-Bake Maple Banana Cookies {Vegan}
Baked Quinoa Cakes with Tart Cherries & Pistachios

Disclaimer: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!

1 Beth G March 30, 2014 at 5:35 am

I am totally going to look for these kicks. Do you think they provide good support for over-pronators like me? I still haven’t found a pair that my toes don’t go numb in and it’s starting to really bug me. Thanks for your help as always!!

2 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 30, 2014 at 8:01 am

Beth, I have a feeling that Altra’s extra-roomy toe box would solve that numb toe problem. Altra makes shoes for all types of feet/runners. I suggest heading to the store locator on Altra’s site and going into a store to try out a few models. Here is the store locator: http://www.altrarunning.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreFramesetView?langId=-1&storeId=15151&catalogId=18952 Good luck, Beth!

3 Julie March 30, 2014 at 10:11 am

Dara, I found your blog a couple of months ago. I was so excited about your recipes and I love that while they are healthy, they don’t include a ton of ingredients that I don’t already have in my house. My excitement DOUBLED when I started seeing your posts about running. I started running a couple of years ago and I am completely addicted. I ran my first full marathon last year, but think I am more of a half marathon runner (even though I train for longer mileage). I love the community of runners in my area and it is also inspiring and motivating to read your posts about running. I just wanted to thank you for your website and tell you how much I enjoy getting your posts!

4 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) April 3, 2014 at 9:08 am

Julie, I’m so glad that you are finding lots of useful information on my blog. Good for you to train for and complete your first marathon! It’s a daunting task, isn’t it? I do love half-marathons as well…you feel as though you’ve accomplished something really significant without running 26.2. I hope that you’ll continue to stop by and comment.

5 Liz March 30, 2014 at 10:18 am

Have a Super-Duper Weekend, Dara.

6 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) April 3, 2014 at 9:08 am

Thanks, Liz.

7 Beth G March 30, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Dara! There’s a store right by my office that came up on the locator… I hope to head over there tomorrow

8 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 31, 2014 at 8:55 am

Perfect! I hope you find something that works well for you.

9 cheri March 30, 2014 at 9:36 pm

The Altra shoes look great, I need extra room in the toe area will have to check these out. Good luck to you and your family in Boston, sounds like a wonderful thing to do together. Memories forever!

10 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) April 3, 2014 at 9:09 am

Thanks, Cheri! The extra toe room makes such a difference for how my foot hits the ground. I urge you to give them a try.

11 Trish @infinebalance April 2, 2014 at 6:59 am

I love that your family runs together. My kids are younger (10 + 7), but both have done 5ks with me. My 10 year old out runs me when she tries.. my 7 year will join me around the block. I just love how attracted to running they are because I run. Probably one thing that makes me most proud as a mom.

12 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) April 3, 2014 at 9:11 am

Trish, you hit the nail on the head. You can suggest to kids that they should eat well and exercise but actually getting out there and doing it as a parent has the most profound effect. It thrills me that my kids want to run with us and I hope that will last for many years to come.

13 shelly (cookies and cups) April 2, 2014 at 4:42 pm

You totally inspire me. I need to get my ass out there. NO excuses.

14 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) April 3, 2014 at 9:11 am

Shelly, the hardest part is always making the decision to do it and then lacing up those shoes for the first time. You can do it, my friend!