It takes mere minutes to make homemade baked tortilla chips. Sprinkled with smoked paprika and rosemary, these ones are something special! 78 calories and 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
The beauty of homemade baked tortilla chips is that they can be flavored any which way you want! This smoked paprika and rosemary version if fantastic for dipping in hummus (or this dip), but feel free to use more traditional southwestern flavors for salsa or guacamole dipping. There are plenty of seasoning suggestions later on in this post, so dive right in!
How to make baked tortilla chips:
- The prep time for tortilla chips is about 5 minutes, so turn on the oven before starting on the prep work.
- Start by stacking several corn tortillas, then cut the stack into 6 segments
- Separate the tortilla pieces and transfer to a bowl.
- Toss the tortilla pieces with some olive oil, coating them lightly. For 6 tortillas, which produces 36 chips, I used only 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Next up? Flavor those chips any which way your heart desires. More on flavor combos further down.
- Bake the chips at 350 degrees F. Ten minutes on the first side, carefully flip with a large spatula, then bake for another 4 minutes. The chips will not be completely crisp when you take them out of the oven, but will crisp up as they cool.
- If you’re not eating them right away, store in a resealable bag or airtight container, but make sure they’ve cooled completely before transferring to the storage container.
Are tortilla chips gluten free?
- Tortilla chips are gluten free if you use corn tortillas rather than flour tortillas.
- Flour tortillas are made with…you guessed it…flour, which is chockfull of gluten.
Flavor combinations for homemade chips:
- This is the fun part! Go sweet or savory, southwestern or Italian. The possibilities are endless. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Smoked paprika & rosemary: See the recipe below for one of my favorite spice/herb combinations!
- Southwestern: Use a combination of ground cumin, chili pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Italian: Go the easy route by using a bottle of Italian seasoning. Alternatively, use a combination of dried oregano, basil and/or rosemary.
- Sweet: Make your inner child happy with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar!
Other healthy snack recipes:
Baked Tortilla Chips with Smoked Paprika & Rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stack the tortillas and cut the pile into 6 triangles (36 chips).
- Place the tortilla triangles in a bowl and drizzle with half of the olive oil. Toss the chips with the oil. Add the remaining olive oil and toss again to lightly coat the chips.
- In a small bowl, stir together the rosemary, smoked paprika and salt. Sprinkle half of the mixture of the tortilla pieces. Toss. Sprinkle over the rest of the spice mixture. Toss again to coat the tortillas.
- On a large baking sheet, spread the tortillas in a single layer (see Note below).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Gently flip the chips and bake for an additional 4 minutes. Let cool. The chips will crisp more as they cool. Serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.