Posted by https://www.cookincanuck.com/bolognese-sauce-recipe-turkey-chicken/
© 2019 Cookin Canuck. All rights reserved.
Bolognese Sauce with Turkey & Chicken Sausage
Loading nutrition data...
Every home cook needs an easy bolognese sauce recipe on hand for quick weeknight dinners. This healthy version uses ground turkey & chicken sausage, and is packed with flavor! 129 calories & 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SP
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 lb. raw Italian chicken sausage
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 (28 oz. each) cans crushed tomatoes
- 6 basil leaves
- ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lightly coat a large, deep nonstick skillet (or a large nonstick saucepan) over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground turkey and squeeze the chicken sausage out of their casings into the skillet. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until the ground turkey and sausage are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper while cooking. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Decrease the heat to medium and add the olive oil to one side of the skillet. Add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes to the oil. Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and basil to the skillet and stir to combine with the garlic. Increase to medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat so that the mixture is simmering. Simmer for 20 minutes. If the sauce is splattering out the pan, cover partially with a lid.
- Stir in the cooked ground turkey and chicken sausage, and parsley. Season to taste. Serve, refrigerate or freeze.
Weight Watchers Points: 3 (SmartPoints), 3 (Points+)