Posted by https://www.cookincanuck.com/creamy-zucchini-coconut-milk-soup/
© 2010 Cookin Canuck. All rights reserved.
Creamy Zucchini & Coconut Milk Soup Recipe (Dairy-Free)
Loading nutrition data...
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red jalapeno pepper, seeds & membranes removed (if desired), and minced
- 3 cups (packed) grated zucchini
- 1 tbsp minced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan set over medium-low heat. Add the onion and chili pepper, and sweat (cook without browning) until the onion is soft and translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium, add the grated zucchini and chopped mint leaves, and cook until the zucchini is starting to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and let cool for about 10 minutes. Trust me, you do not want to skip this step. That is, unless you enjoy wiping hot soup off your ceiling after your blender lid flies off.
- Process the soup in a blender, in two batches, until the soup is almost smooth, but with a little bit of texture. Return to the saucepan, stir in coconut milk, reheat, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
- This soup can also be served chilled – a nice treat on a hot day.