Posted by https://www.cookincanuck.com/italian-vegetarian-stuffed-peppers/
© 2019 Cookin Canuck. All rights reserved.
Italian Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Loading nutrition data...
1 hr 5 mins
Why should meat lovers get to have all the fun?! These healthy Italian Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers are packed with all of the flavors of this classic dish. And they're a breeze to make! 249 calories and 3 Weight Watchers SP
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz.) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 ¼ cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 3 red bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise, seeds & membranes removed
- 1/3 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots. Season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, chickpeas and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked quinoa and 3 tablespoons parsley.
- Place the pepper, cut side up, in a large baking dish. Divide the chickpea mixture evenly between the peppers. Pour ½ water in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook until the peppers are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese over each pepper. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley. Serve.
Weight Watchers Points: 3 (Freestyle SmartPoints), 6 (Points+)