Posted by https://www.cookincanuck.com/light-sweet-potato-mac-n-cheese-recipe/
© 2014 Cookin Canuck. All rights reserved.
Light(er) Sweet Potato Mac ‘n Cheese Recipe
Loading nutrition data...
This light(er) macaroni and cheese recipe gets a burst of flavor and texture from mashed sweet potato and a great sharp cheddar cheese.
- 1 lb. sweet potato
- 13 oz. whole wheat elbow-shaped pasta
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 1/4 cups skim milk
- 6 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole wheat
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 11- by 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pierce the sweet potato all over with a fork. Cook in a microwave until the sweet potato is very tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise and, when cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh into a shallow dish. With the back of a fork, mash the sweet potato until well-mashed and almost smooth.
- In a large nonstick saucepan, cook the elbow pasta about 2 minutes less than package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In the same saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion is tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sage and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- While whisking, gradually pour the vegetable broth and skim milk into the flour mixture. Bring the mixture to a simmer and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mashed sweet potato, grated cheddar cheese, Dijon mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and stir until well combined. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl stir together the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the mixture over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake until the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Place the casserole under the broiler for 1 minute, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Watch carefully so that the breadcrumbs don't burn. Serve.
Weight Watchers Points: 10 (Freestyle SmartPoints)