Cinco de Mayo. Those are three little words that put a glint in my husband’s eye. If he was ever on death row (we’ll be avoiding that at all costs) and was given his choice of food for his last meal, the answer would involve words like Mexican, burrito, mole, salsa…lots and lots, por favor. Of course, it wouldn’t really matter whether or not he was getting his daily servings of vegetables if he was on death row. However, in our regular world of non-incarceration, we’re pretty diligent about sneaking in those veggies wherever we can. That means that I’ll be stuffing our burritos with this slaw. The mango, avocado and cumin dressing make it stand apart from the usual picnic slaw offerings.
This slaw can be pulled together in less than 10 minutes, particularly if you’ve been diligently practicing How to: Prepare an Avocado and How to: Cut a Mango. I can see you all nodding your heads “Yes”. Once your mango and avocado are prepped, slice a little cabbage, whip up the lime cumin vinaigrette and toss the whole she-bang together in a serving bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together fresh lime juice, agave nectar (or honey), ground cumin and salt.
While whisking constantly, slowly pour in the olive oil until combined. Stir in cilantro and minced jalapeno.
In a serving large bowl, combine the cabbage, mango and avocado. Toss gently to combine.
Pour two-thirds of the dressing over the slaw and toss gently to combine. Taste and add more dressing, if desired. Serve.
Other recipe for your Cinco de Mayo feast:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Fish Tacos with Creamy Green Chile & Cilantro Sauce
Cookin’ Canuck’s Avocado, Tomato & Cotija Cheese Salad
Ingredients, Inc.’s Pomegranate Margarita
What’s Gaby Cooking’s Grilled Guacamole
Brown Eyed Baker’s Tres Leches Cake
Mexican Slaw with Mango, Avocado & Cumin Dressing
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 260kcal Calories from fat 191|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 1/2 green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 mango, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cuming
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp minced jalapeno pepper
- In a serving large bowl, combine the cabbage, mango and avocado. Toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together fresh lime juice, agave nectar (or honey), ground cumin and salt. While whisking constantly, slowly pour in the olive oil until combined. Stir in cilantro and minced jalapeno.
- Pour two-thirds of the dressing over the slaw and toss gently to combine. Taste and add more dressing, if desired. Serve.