Roasted sweet potatoes take mere minutes to prep. Just toss them with olive oil, salt and Chinese 5-spice powder before sliding them into the oven.
If there was a Superfriends Hall of Justice for food, sweet potatoes would be the Superman or Wonder Woman of the group. Or put two of them together and they could do "Wonder Twins activate. Form of an ice pick!" Please humor me and tell me that you know what I'm talking about. Tell me that I'm not the only one who remembers the teenaged duo who performed superhuman feats by transforming into eagles or waterfalls.
Sweet potatoes boast so many health benefits that they deserve a cape and cool sound effects.
Here are some of the benefits:
- They are chock full of vitamin C, calcium, folate, potassium and beta-carotene.
- If you are someone who contends with Diabetes, or simply chooses to follow a low-glycemic diet, sweet potatoes are your friend. They have a significantly lower glycemic index than regular white potatoes.
- If you suffer from muscle cramps (something that can plague runners and other athletes during long training session), the high potassium level help to alleviate these cramps.
- They are high in fiber, particularly if you eat the skin.
- The high levels of Vitamin A and beta-carotene help to keep skin healthy.
And let's not forget that sweet potatoes taste great. Roasting brings out their naturally sweet flavor and gives them a tender, pleasing texture. The five-spice powder, which can be found in the spice aisle of most supermarkets, lends a kick of flavor and slight spice to this easy side dish.
Serve them alongside chicken or pork stir-fry, toss them with a green salad or even roll them into a roasted vegetable wrap sandwich.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, olive oil, salt and five-spice powder. Toss to coat.
Transfer the sweet potatoes to the baking sheet, and spread out evenly.
Roast the potatoes until they are tender and the edges are starting to turn golden brown, turning halfway through, approximately 30 minutes.. Serve.
Other sweet potato recipes:
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese Breadcrumbs
Sweet Potato Hash with Canadian Bacon, Red Pepper & Sage
Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe with Five-Spice Powder
- 3 about 1 ½ pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, olive oil, salt and five-spice powder. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to the baking sheet, and spread out evenly.
- Roast the potatoes until they are tender and the edges are starting to turn golden brown, turning halfway through, approximately 30 minutes.. Serve.
Disclosure: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
These are wonderful! I have never been a yam fan until I tried these!
Dara, I wish I could say I know of the Superfriends who morph into things in the name of good, but I will say these roasted sweet potatoes look super delicious! You had me at 5 spice powder.