Spicy Black Bean Dip with Roasted Red & Chipotle Pepper Recipe
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
Servings: 3 Cups (Approximately)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 roasted red bell peppers chopped
- 2 15 ounce each cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 chipotle peppers seeded and minced (sold in cans in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle pepper can
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- sour cream for garnish optional
Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and cooking, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, ground cumin and dried oregano and cook for additional 2 minutes. Stir in roasted red peppers, black beans, chipotle peppers and salt and let flavors meld, about 2 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat. Spoon black bean mixture, adobo sauce and water into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is combined, but the consistency is still slightly chunky.
Transfer the dip to a medium bowl and stir in fresh lime juice and cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips or crudites.
Calories: 333kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 2109mg | Potassium: 999mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 250IU | Vitamin C: 24.3mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 6.9mg