Smoky Turkey Chili with Chipotle Peppers, & Black & White Beans
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
Servings: 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes (including juices)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo chopped
- 2 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle pepper can
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can small white beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro chopped
Heat canola oil in a large, heavy pot set over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender and light brown, about 10 minutes.
Add cumin and oregano. Stir for 30 seconds, then add garlic cloves. Stir for an additional 30 seconds.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add ground turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it is cooked through.
Add chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add whole tomatoes, including juices. Break up the tomatoes with wooden spoon while cooking. If the tomatoes are breaking down easily, remove from the pot, chop, and then return to the mixture.
Mix in tomato paste, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, and chicken broth.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard bay leaves.
Add black and white beans to the chili. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Ladle chili into bowl, and serve with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 1185mg | Potassium: 1011mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 455IU | Vitamin C: 13.8mg | Calcium: 136mg | Iron: 5.9mg