Savory French Toast Bites with Bacon, Tomato & Cheese
These adorable Savory French Toast Bites with Bacon, Tomato and Cheese are perfect for brunch, but can also be served as appetizers.
Servings: 36 Servings
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz. white bread (dense bread, such as French bread, challah or brioche), cut into six 1-inch thick slices
- 1 medium tomato cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 13- by 9-inch baking dish.
Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Crumble and set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Stir the flour mixture into the add mixture, then stir in cheeses.
Dip thick pieces of dense white bread - I used French bread, but brioche would be even better - one at a time, into the egg mixture until saturated. Arrange the pieces of bread in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Stir chopped tomato, crumbled bacon, and sliced green onion into the remaining egg mixture and pour evenly over top of the bread.
Bake the French toast until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Let the French toast rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Using a 1 1/2 inch round biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out rounds of the French toast. Garnish with extra slices of green onion. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.
Serving: 1Bite | Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 213mg | Potassium: 58mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g