Savory Bread Stuffing with Herbs & Sausage Recipe
It wouldn't be a holiday meal without Dad's famous savory bread stuffing, complete with fresh herbs and sausage.
Servings: 10 to 12 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 links mild Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion cut in half and thinly sliced (use the whole onion)
- 6 cups torn white sandwich bread crusts removed
- 6 cups torn whole wheat sandwich bread crusts removed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add yellow onion and sausage. Cook until the sausage is no longer pink, crumbling with a wooden spoon. In a large bowl, combine the sausage mixture with torn bread pieces.
Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel and turn the heat to medium. Melt butter, then add chopped celery, green onion, sage, marjoram, parsley, and ground nutmeg. Cook, stirring frequently, until the celery is soft, about 5 minutes. Toss with the bread mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth and toss again.
Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the stuffing to the baking dish and bake until the stuffing is heated through and a light crust forms on top, 20 to 25 minutes.
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 617mg | Potassium: 289mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 7.5mg | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 3.2mg