Chicken, Corn & Potato Chowder Recipe with Green Chiles & Cheddar Cheese
This rich and creamy chicken, corn and potato chowder is flavored with green chiles and Cheddar cheese. Comfort food at its best!
Servings: 4 to 6 Servings
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 5 1/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled russet potatoes
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 14 ounce can creamed corn
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese plus more for garnishing
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- chopped scallions for garnish
Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and let drain on a piece of paper towel. Set aside.
To the bacon drippings, add chicken, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add diced green chiles and cook for an additional minute. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add frozen whole-kernel corn and creamed corn, and stir well.
Pour flour into a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in skim milk. Add the milk mixture to the soup and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1½ cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped scallions, grated Cheddar cheese, and crumbled bacon. If desired, break some tortilla chips over each portion of soup.
Calories: 716kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 54g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 1127mg | Potassium: 1639mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 2055IU | Vitamin C: 71.5mg | Calcium: 510mg | Iron: 4mg