Chilled California Avocado Soup with Coconut Milk Recipe
Servings: 4 to 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2 large jalapeno pepper seeds & membranes removed (if desired), and minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves
- 3 California avocados peeled and cut into eights
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes optional
Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan set over medium-low heat. Add the onion and jalapeno pepper, and sweat (cook without browning) until the onion is soft and translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for additional 2 minutes. Stir in the mint. Let cool slightly.
Place the avocados in a food processor or heavy-duty blender, along with 1½ cups vegetable broth. Pulse until finely chopped.
Add the remaining broth, along with the onion mixture, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
Pour the soup into a medium-sized bowl and stir in the lite coconut milk.
Cover the soup and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve chilled, topped with diced tomatoes (if desired).
Serving: 0.25of Recipe | Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 906mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 630IU | Vitamin C: 20.9mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1.1mg