Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup with Black Beans & Corn (Slow Cooker)
This crockpot chicken tortilla soup is a breeze to put together and is a healthy and popular option for the whole family.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time9 hrs
Total Time9 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper seeds removed, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper seeds removed, minced (sold in cans, in adobo sauce)
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 5 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped avocado if desired
- tortilla chips if desired
- sour cream if desired
Place chopped onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ground cumin and chipotle pepper into the bottom of a crockpot.
Cover this mixture with brown rice and boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Pour diced tomatoes, with juices, and chicken broth over the chicken breasts.
Turn the crockpot to Low and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 hours.
Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and, using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the crockpot, along with the black beans and frozen corn.
Cook on Low for an additional 30 to 60 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with chopped avocado, tortilla chips and sour cream, if desired.
Serving: 1Serving (1/6 of Recipe) | Calories: 217kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 181mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 710IU | Vitamin C: 32.1mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1.5mg