Jul 17
2009

Zucchini Latkes with Yogurt-Curry Sauce

ZuccLatkesFinal

Lock your doors! That’s right, it’s zucchini season. Bountiful zucchini crops are a thing of legend in these parts, and many people have told me stories of climbing into their cars, only to find a large bag full of zucchini on their seat. Their friends and neighbors, desperate to get rid of the masses of zucchini in their gardens, are leaving these prolific veggies wherever they can. Well, I haven’t found any renegade zucchini on my doorstep, but I did manage to pick up a bagful of the most gorgeous green specimens at the local farm stand.

What to do, what to do. Of course, I could make a loaf or two of my mother-in-law’s tasty zucchini bread, but we always make that around Thanksgiving and I am not quite ready to give up the long summer days. What are my other options? When in doubt, fry it! I found a recipe for Zucchini Fritters on Simply Recipes. If you haven’t done so already, be sure to check out this site. They have a plethora (love that word) of inventive recipes. The fritter recipe was essentially a recipe for a zucchini version of potato latkes. A dollop of sourcream, creme fraiche, or applesauce is a sure-fire winner with potato latkes. However, I wanted to branch away from the traditional. That’s where this Yogurt-Curry Sauce came in. The combination couldn’t have been better.
The Sauce
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of plain, preferably Greek, yogurt…

1 tbsp of mango chutney (if the chutney has large pieces of mango, give them a good chop)…

1/2 tsp of fresh lime juice…

1/4 cup mayonnaise…

…and 2 tsp of curry powder.

Whisk well. Isn’t that “purty”?

Cover and chill the sauce for 1 to 2 hours to let the flavors meld. Mmm-mmm, meld on!

The Latkes
Grate 1 lb (about 2 medium) zucchini onto a paper towel and season with about 1 tsp of kosher salt.

Wrap the zucchini up in the paper towel and squeeze out the excess juices. I suggest doing this over the sink, unless you want your dog licking the floor around your feet.

Place the squeezed zucchini into a large bowl and add 1 large egg, 2 finely chopped scallion…

1/2 cup all-purpose flour, and 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper.

Stir the mixture well.

Serve with the yogurt-curry sauce as an appetizer or side dish.

ZuccLatkesFinal

1 large egg
2 scallion, finely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
For the sauce:
In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mango chutney, lime juice, mayonnaise, and curry powder. Whisk well, cover, and chill for 1-2 hours.
For the latkes:
Grate the zucchini onto a paper towel and season with about 1 tsp of kosher salt. Wrap the zucchini up in the paper towel and squeeze out the excess. Place the squeezed zucchini into a large bowl and add the egg, scallions, flour, and pepper. Stir well.
Heat 3 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Using about 2 tbsp of the zucchini mixture, form a patty and place it in the skillet. Repeat until there are about six latkes in the pan. There will be enough of the zucchini mixture to make two batches of the latkes. Cook the latkes, turning halfway through cooking, until they are golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked latkes to a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.
Serve with the yogurt-curry sauce as an appetizer or side dish.
Serves 4 (3 latkes per serving).

1 Lisa Curcio July 17, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Oh. My. Goodness.

That looks so delicious!

2 Chow and Chatter July 17, 2009 at 2:22 pm

what wonderful way of cooking zucchini I am going to try it lol

3 mathildescuisine July 17, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables and your recipe makes me hungry! Will try it soon!

4 Leslie July 17, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Yummy. I love zucchini! I can eat them everyday. Have you heard of zucchini crab cakes without the crab? I discovered them last year. I'll put up a post once my zucchinis are ready to harvest.

5 The Duo Dishes July 17, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Perfect idea. We'll probably try this with a nice yellow summer squash!

6 KrisKishere July 17, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Looks good! I'll have to pick up some zucchini at the market. After having so much zucchini in my garden last summer, I swore it off until next year…maybe. This looks so tasty though :)

7 HannahBanana aka Amanda July 17, 2009 at 5:52 pm

I have made zucchini latkes before but never with a dynamite sauce like this…..the curry and chutney really pushes it over the edge! Thanks for the recipe!

8 Jenn July 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Zucchini latkes. I love it. It's been few weeks since I've had some zucchini. mmm…another thing I need to add to the grocery list. Zucchini and yogurt!

9 Bellini Valli July 17, 2009 at 7:08 pm

These are my favourite way to serve that inevitable bounty of zucchini.

10 VintageMixer July 17, 2009 at 7:27 pm

I love anything with zucchini and greek yogurt! Sounds like a winner to me!

11 curiousdomestic July 17, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Nice fritters! Excellent alternative to zuchinni bread. I wonder if you could freeze them?

12 Cooking Mama July 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm

One of those zucchini bags landed INSIDE my house last night! They came way of my son's, friend's, mom's, neigbor friend . .if that makes any sense. There is yellow squash included as well. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Makin' me up some zucchini, that's what!

I like your recipe. Very inventive! Though I'd have to substitute something for the mango chutney because a)I loathe mangos and b)I loathe chutney. Any suggestions on what to substitute?

13 Cookin' Canuck July 17, 2009 at 10:59 pm

Leslie, your zucchini crab cakes, without the crab, sound good. I'll watch your blog for that recipe.

Duo Dishes, I had considered making this with yellow squash, but my stockpile of zucchini was a little larger.

Amanda, the curry and chutney really do add something special to this.

CuriousDomestic, you could try freeze the raw latkes in patties. Maybe you could bake the frozen latkes, then finish them off in a skillet. It's worth a shot for wintertime latkes.

Cookin Mama – well, you would want to substitute something that mimics the sweetness of the chutney. You might want to try apricot or pineapple preserves.

14 Alisa July 18, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Yummy fritters! These sure look good!

15 Maureen Jeanson cPT c MH July 19, 2009 at 11:01 am

Fantastic!

16 Elin July 19, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Wow…nice fritters, Congrats you have make it to Today's Top 9 again :)) Thanks for sharing the recipe. I would like to try it out

17 Darina July 19, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I'm always wondering what the heck to do with zucchinis. These are a great idea.

18 Ann July 19, 2009 at 4:06 pm

YUM! These look fantastic, I love latkes and zucchini is just a great idea for an addition to make them healthier! You really come up with some great stuff!

19 Krissy @ The Food Addicts July 19, 2009 at 6:46 pm

OMG! You wouldn't believe how excited I was when I saw this recipe of zuchhini latkes! I have the biggest zucchini sitting in my fridge right now which we grew in our garden. It's seriously ridiculous huge… I swear my husband dusted steroids on this zucchini. Anyhow, you've inspired me to try this recipe now because we really need to get rid of this zucchini! It looks gorgeous — I can't wait to make it!!!!!!

20 koshercamembert July 20, 2009 at 3:09 am

Nice recipe and congrats on top 9!

21 Teanna July 20, 2009 at 6:11 pm

LOVE IT! That looks so. good.

22 Marta July 20, 2009 at 7:13 pm

I love this receipt|

23 Chef Fresco July 21, 2009 at 1:35 am

Very delicious looking! That curry yogurt looks amazing!

24 Doloncookbook July 21, 2009 at 7:33 am

Hey I never had zucchini latkes before ,but sounds interesting .. Will try next time .. Thanks for sharing …

25 Sophie July 22, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Delicious, indeed! Especially topped off with that fresh yogurt sauce/topping, yum!

26 adam, pa January 18, 2010 at 3:11 am

Amazing! People couldnt believe that where were no potatoes in them. I even won a latke baking contest with my family using this recipe. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

27 Cookin' Canuck January 18, 2010 at 3:19 am

Adam, thanks so much for letting me know! I'm really glad you enjoyed them. Congratulations on your win!