Nov 21
2009

Savory Mango Chutney & Cheddar Cheese Palmiers (Puffed Pastry Curls) Recipe

Mango Chutney & Cheddar Cheese Palmiers (Puff Pastry Curls) Recipe

Whether you’re charmed by the name “elephant ears” or the miniscule ingredient list, palmiers will become one of your go-to hors d’oeuvres or desserts over the holiday season. Traditionally, palmiers are made with puff pastry and sugar, and are the perfect tea-time cookie. However, they easily lend themselves to a savory preparation. Palmiers can be filled with a multitude of flavor combinations. The possibilities are endless: Prosciutto and gorgonzola, pesto and parmesan, olive tapenade… So why did I choose mango chutney and cheddar cheese? Besides the fact that I happened to have the ingredients on-hand, this is my favorite grilled cheese sandwich concoction. Sweet and savory, ying and yang. For me, they go together like Romeo and Juliet. Without the death and betrayal, of course. As the holiday season approaches, I am looking for easy hors d’oeuvres to serve to guests. These are as simple as my Garlic Roasted Shrimp with JalapeƱo Cocktail Sauce and can be made several days or even weeks in advance.

Thaw one sheet (8 ounces) purchased puff pastry and roll the sheet into a rectangle that is at least 8 inches wide and no less than 1/8-inch thick. With the standard puff pastry sheets found in the grocery stores, you won’t have much rolling to do.

Spread 3 tablespoons mango chutney over the puff pastry and top with 3/4 cup (packed) extra-sharp cheddar cheese.

Chill for about 15 minutes.

Chill for at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Bake the palmier until they are puffed and light golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Quickly flip the palmiers and place back in the oven, switching positions of the baking sheets. Bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the palmiers to a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.

Make ahead: The palmiers can be baked and then store in the fridge in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days, or frozen. Before serving, place unthawed palmiers on a baking sheet in a 350 degree F oven for 5 minutes.

Other palmier recipes:
Baking Bites’ Toffee Palmiers
Lisa is Cooking’s Paprika Palmiers
Joy the Baker’s Lemon Rosemary Palmiers

Savory Mango Chutney & Cheddar Cheese Palmiers (Puffed Pastry Curls)

1 sheet (8 oz) purchased puff pastry sheet, thawed
3 tbsp mango chutney
3/4 cup (packed) extra-sharp cheddar cheese

Roll the puff pastry sheet into a rectangle that is at least 8 inches wide and no less than 1/8-inch thick. With the standard puff pastry sheets found in the grocery stores, you won’t have much rolling to do.

Spread mango chutney over the puff pastry and top with cheddar cheese. Using a rolling pin, lightly press the cheese into the pastry. Roll each long end of the rectangle into the center. Chill for about 15 minutes.

Cut the roll crosswise into 1/8-inch slices and divide the palmiers between two baking sheets covered with parchment paper. Chill for at least 1 hour.

Makes 2 dozen palmiers.

1 Ravenous Couple November 21, 2009 at 7:16 am

the flavor combination of this pastry sounds amazing!

2 Divina Pe November 21, 2009 at 1:13 pm

They're so beautiful and what a uniques flavor. They are perfect for Christmas without too much elaborate work.

3 Cristie November 21, 2009 at 4:02 pm

They are beautiful! What a wonderful combination, I'm bookmarking this for the holidays!

4 Drick November 21, 2009 at 4:21 pm

thanks so much for this recipe – whenever we visit Mexico, my first stop is to a bakery to find these ears….yours sounds wonderful….

5 MaryMoh November 21, 2009 at 4:32 pm

These look so simple, attractive and cute. Love the combination of flavours. A great party food…Christmas is near

6 Cookin' Canuck November 21, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Ravenous Couple – I love this combination. The sweet and savory really works well.

Divina Pe – They really are quick and easy to make, and looks so great without much effort.

Cristie – Thank you! I hope you enjoy them.

Drick – I'm looking forward to trying the traditional sweet version of these.

MaryMon – Thank you. I'll think they'll be a time saver for me at Christmastime.

7 Brad November 21, 2009 at 5:33 pm

This is a great recipe for a party starter. I like that the inner ingredients can be whatever you have or want to fill them with. thanks for the tasty cipe.

8 Brie: Le Grand Fromage November 21, 2009 at 5:42 pm

oh cool, that does look really easy and quick for an awesome hors d'oeuvre. thanks for the idea!

9 redkathy November 21, 2009 at 7:27 pm

You know these look fabulous right? I have some pastry dough in the freezer, but I'm a bit afraid to work with it. First the cracker, then the homemade apple sauce, and now you have inspired me once again. I am going to thaw the pastry dough and try making these. I don't have any mango on hand so I'll have to find a replacement. Thank you for the inspiration.

10 lululu November 21, 2009 at 7:34 pm

be it savory or sweet, i simple love all of them! cos i cant live with these perfect pastry goods!

11 cookingschoolconfidential.com November 21, 2009 at 8:42 pm

SAVORY palmiers. Savory!

Genius.

I have puff pastry in the house. I have blue cheese. I have crushed walnuts. I have …

I gotta run.

Cheers!

12 Debi(Table Talk) November 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Great party Hors D'ouevre- and always a plus when you can make them ahead and bake when you are ready.
I'm headed to a "Flavors of Canada" dinner party tonight….I hadn't noticed the invitation read "Canadian attire preferred"…wasn't sure what that meant…guess I should have checked with you first! I'm going for the cold weather flannel shirt/ tuque/snow boots look…my husband will be sporting a Canadian hockey jersey. Looking forward to what "flavors" await us…

13 April Cavin November 21, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Oh, the possibilities! I've been browsing for Thanksgiving appetizer ideas and this one is on the list for sure!

14 Kalyn November 22, 2009 at 1:33 am

Gorgeous! Saving the recipe now for a post I'm writing about appetizers!

15 Tasty Eats At Home November 22, 2009 at 2:42 am

These look so tasty and flaky. Yum.

16 Mae November 22, 2009 at 2:58 am

I've never thought about it, but savory palmier make perfect sense, like cheese sticks, they have the same flaky goodness… and the chutney? I agree: genius.

17 pegasuslegend November 22, 2009 at 3:52 am

wow these are so beautiful omg where do you find the time love them

18 penny aka jeroxie November 22, 2009 at 4:28 am

Lovely combination and quite a simple recipe to follow. YUM!

19 Mel - BouchonFor2.com November 22, 2009 at 8:33 am

mmm love the savory, tart, and sweet combo. you've done it again, girl!

20 Cookin' Canuck November 22, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for all of the kind comments.

Redkathy – Make sure you use puff pastry, rather than a standard pastry dough for this recipe. You want the palmiers to be light and slightly crispy.

Debi – It sounds as though your outfits would fit the bill for your Canadian evening. I hope it was fun!

Kalyn – I'm looking forward to reading your post.

21 Shirley November 22, 2009 at 2:57 pm

You are really good at these! Am going to try them for Christmas. My kids will love them. And you do make them seem so simple!

22 ValleyWriter November 22, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Wow – this is a great idea! I love the idea of prosciutto and gorgonzola, too.

23 Maria November 22, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Perfect appetizer for the holidays. Thanks!

24 Anne November 22, 2009 at 4:23 pm

They look so delicious and sound fab, I love cheese and fruit combo and pastry added in makes it perfect! My mouth is also watering at the sound of prosciuttio and gorganzola ones too!

25 Jessie November 22, 2009 at 5:43 pm

great sweet and savory appetizers, I love the sound of the prosciutto and gorgonzola cheese combo!

26 KrisKishere November 22, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I love this, and the method is so versatile :)

27 Caitlin November 22, 2009 at 8:18 pm

These pastries look sublime!

28 Mr. P November 22, 2009 at 9:41 pm

They would make such a good gift, as well as a party nibble!

If it weren't for the fact that I'd just made cookies… The oven would be on!

29 Rochelle November 23, 2009 at 12:10 am

Puff pastry is great to use for so many things, but I had never thought to use it like this! Great idea :)

30 Jan (Mixing Bowl Kids) November 23, 2009 at 1:35 am

Oh, these sound so yummy! I love the idea of cheddar and mango chutney together..how interesting!

31 wasabi prime November 23, 2009 at 8:00 am

Oh, I've had these cookies as a sweet treat, but the idea of filling them with savory goodies is fabulous!

32 Fabien November 23, 2009 at 11:50 am

they're lovely, and very easy to make.
I made a chocolate version on my blog: have a look if you wish… http://fabien.wordpress.com/2008/02/17/ventagli-al-cioccolato/

cheers

33 Danielle December 1, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Ooooooo…another cheese and fruit combo! Your my kinda gal! The palmiers are gorgeous!

34 Hetal August 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I made these tonight to bring to a movie night. Everyone loved them! Thanks!