Dec 14
2009

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Rosemary & Brown Sugar Recipe

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Rosemary & Brown Sugar Recipe

The final full week before Christmas is upon us and I’m trying not to completely lose my mind. While our pantry is filled to the brim with Chocolate & Peppermint Bark Cookies; Pine Nut, Caramel & Shortbread Bars; and Cinnamon & Almond Meringue Star Cookies, I have yet to finish my Christmas shopping and wrapping seems like a monumental task. I’m going to need some serious protein to power through my to-do list. That’s where these crunchy little morsels come into play. Once the chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are roasted, they are tossed with a mixture of brown sugar, fresh rosemary, cayenne pepper, and kosher salt that lends a sweet, spicy, and salty kick to these crunchy legumes. A handful of this tasty snack before elbowing my way into ToysRUs will definitely give me the edge over those other Star Wars lego-hunting, Zhu Zhu pet-seeking desperate parents.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Drain 2 cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) into a strainer. Rinse and drain very well. Dry the chickpeas on a large sheet of paper towel, with another sheet laid over top. Pat gently to remove excess water.

Toss chickpeas with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Roast for 40-50 minutes, or until chickpeas are golden brown and rattle when you shake the baking sheet.

While the chickpeas are roasting, combine 2 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on your heat tolerance), and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl.

Other roasted chickpea recipes:

Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Crispy Roasted Chickpeas with Moroccan Spices
Words to Eat By’s Curry Roasted Chickpeas
Bitchin’ Camero’s Garam Masala Roasted Chickpeas

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas with Rosemary & Brown Sugar

2 (14 oz) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
2 tbsp (packed) brown sugar
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Drain chickpeas into a strainer. Rinse and drain very well. Dry the chickpeas on a large sheet of paper towel, with another sheet laid over top. Pat gently to remove excess water.

While the chickpeas are roasting, combine brown sugar, rosemary, 1 teaspoon olive oil, cayenne pepper (the amount you use depends on your heat tolerance), and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium bowl. Pour the roasted chickpeas into the bowl and toss with the brown sugar mixture. Cool completely. Serve. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

1 citronetvanille December 14, 2009 at 6:34 am

I am so curious about those chick peas, do they taste sweet? They look very very appetizing!

2 Devoted for Life December 14, 2009 at 6:56 am

Yum! great idea! much better than the usual chips and nuts!

3 Elin December 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

Hi CC…I want to make this…sound yummy and I love rosemary …haha I jus planted one pot of rosemary :)) thanks for sharing such a yummy chickpeas recipe :)

4 Kalyn December 14, 2009 at 12:56 pm

These sound fantastic! I love roasted chickpeas. Not sure why I'm not eating more of those and less cookies these days!

5 LollyChops December 14, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I love all chickpeas. This sounds really interesting! Never thought of combining these ingredients together like this!

6 Maria December 14, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I am going to make these to snack on during the holidays-great option since my hubs can't have nuts.

7 Jenn December 14, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Chickpeas are always great. I'm trying not go crazy myself. One of the downsides of the holiday season, i guess. Oh well. As soon as Christmas is here, I'm sure things will calm down a bit more.

8 BumbleVee December 14, 2009 at 7:38 pm

They sound great….and I'll give them a try…but, to be honest…it would take a lot more than this to get me to even stand near the wildly moving doors at Toys R Us… like, I'd probably have to be totally hypnotized or drunk or …well, something equally drastic…

9 Cookin' Canuck December 14, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Thanks for all of you comments!

Citron – They have a slight sweetness to them, but not overwhelming. Really, you could add any spice mixture that appeals to you.

Devoted – While I love chips, it's nice to have a healthier alternative on hand.

Elin – I love having fresh rosemary around. Enjoy your new plant!

Kalyn – Yes, I find it hard to pull myself away from the cookies at this time of year, too.

LollyChops – The mixture of ingredients provides a really nice mix between salty, sweet, and spicy.

Maria – Yes, these are perfect for those that can't eat nuts.

Jenn – I'm trying not to get too caught up in the panic of the season, but it's challenging!

BumbleVee – I must admit that online shopping is far more appealing at this time of year.

10 Tasty Eats At Home December 14, 2009 at 9:32 pm

The big day is looming over me as well! I haven't baked ANYTHING holiday-like, and back in October I told my siblings that I'd put together an easy-gluten-free cookbook for them. Just started it yesterday. Haven't wrapped a thing. It's all starting to kinda get to me! Aaah! Okay, I'm under control. I'm not much for chickpeas, but I wonder if I'd like these, since they have a different texture. Might have to try!

11 Tasty Trix December 14, 2009 at 9:55 pm

Hmm. so since they're less fattening than chips would it be bad if I ate one or two entire pounds of this myself? It's SO appealing to me!

12 Mr. P December 14, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Really lovely photos as always! They look yummy.

13 Shirley December 15, 2009 at 12:34 am

I like the idea of spices and brown sugar. Should try it out. Happy shopping to you.

14 Nicole M., MS, RD, LD December 15, 2009 at 1:28 am

Your vegetables recipes always look delicious! I am definitely making that dish soon!

15 Bread and Jam December 15, 2009 at 2:09 am

I really like chick peas and I'm curious to try them this way. Have only had them plain in a salad or as hummus so this sounds delish!

16 pegasuslegend December 15, 2009 at 2:32 am

I have never had these like this, we ate them roasted at feasts in NY I am diffinitely going to try these since that was one of my favorites to get up North when I lived there…thanks

17 kathyvegas December 15, 2009 at 2:55 am

These look fantastic! Printing this one out…thanks!

18 Cookin' Canuck December 15, 2009 at 4:14 am

Tasty Eats – Don't panic; it will all come together. Enjoy the holiday season!

Tasty Trix – I have been snacking on these all day. At least I know I'm getting some protein.

Mr. P. – Thank you!

Shirley – The sweet and spicy is a really satisfying combination.

Nicole – Thank you!

Bread & Jam – This is definitely a different way to enjoy chickpeas. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Pegasus – Thank you! I hope you have a chance to try them again.

Kathy – I hope you enjoy them.

19 Claudia December 15, 2009 at 5:22 am

I adore chhickpeas. Very grand!What a snack for all. Will do this.

20 5 Star Foodie December 15, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Those sound so yummy with brown sugar and rosemary, can't wait to try!

21 KrisKishere December 15, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Amazing! My husband is addicted to chickpeas – I think I'm going to make these for Christmas Eve as a snack. Thank you!

22 Janice December 15, 2009 at 6:09 pm

What an interesting recipe, would never have thought of roasting chickpeas as a snack. Thanks for that, and I love rosemary too, it's my favourite herb.

23 Angie's Recipes December 15, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I must add this to my to-do list! They look so addictive!

24 Vegetable Matter December 15, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I'm always looking for something to do with our rosemary. Would never think to combine it with brown sugar. And then chick peas too? I am humbled by your creativity. Your dish looks wonderful!

25 Brad December 15, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I just love this recipe and your pics. I've never seen a recipe like it. Does it taste like crunchy spicey-sweet hummus?

26 Chef Fresco December 16, 2009 at 2:58 am

I've only tried roasted chick peas once – not much luck. Maybe I'll try this recipe though – it looks delicious!

27 penny aka jeroxie December 16, 2009 at 5:38 am

This is very interesting. I can use this combination for other nuts. I can't do much chickpeas.

28 The Food Hunter December 16, 2009 at 9:52 pm

this sounds great. I think I will try it this weekend.

29 My Little Space December 17, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Well, I think I've to start calling you Dara and not Canuck! This recipe is perfect for any season. And can easily finish it up in a second… & best snack for drinkers too!

30 Divina Pe December 18, 2009 at 2:56 pm

I haven't visited you in a while but these chickpeas are imprinted on my mind. Love the sweet, spicy and salty taste. It must be better than popcorn.

31 Amanda aka Hannahbanana February 3, 2010 at 1:08 am

How the heck did I miss this? These sound so good. I am a chickpea fanatic!

32 Anonymous August 1, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I made this today and am sad to say that the spice mix didn't adhere to che chickpeas very well. But the mix itself taste absolutely awesome!

33 Cookin' Canuck August 3, 2010 at 12:48 am

Anonymous, I'm glad you enjoyed the spice mixture, but sorry you had difficulties with the mixture adhering to the chickpeas. The only time I experienced this myself was when I did not drain the chickpeas for long enough and dry them with paper towels thoroughly. The extra moisture will stop the chickpeas from absorbing the olive oil, which will lead to problems with the spice mixture. I hope that helps for next time.

34 Patricia December 9, 2011 at 8:07 am

Oh my! I cannot wait to make these! LOVE chickpeas and this sounds so easy (and yummy) – plus will make nice Christmastime snacks and maybe gifts!

Thanks!!!