Jan 28
2010

Sticky & Sweet Chicken Wings Recipe with Soy, Honey & Ginger

Sticky & Sweet Chicken Wings Recipe with Soy, Honey & Ginger

Even though I have lamented that we have spent many of our weekend hours watching football over the past couple of weeks, I feel I must confess. I genuinely look forward to an afternoon on the couch, watching some bone-crunching tackles and the finesse of a well-tuned offense. It’s not just the gratuitous snuggle time with my boys. It’s not just the tight pants on toned athletes. It’s not just the snacks. Well, maybe it’s the snacks a little. Rather, I am a sports junkie. My girlfriends just shake their heads when I start talking about who’s got the best defense or what NHL team is on the road to the Stanley Cup. Even though the outcome of one game will not change the state of the economy or rebuild the lives of those who have lost so much in Haiti, it gives us the opportunity to escape from these realities for a few hours. There’s something to be said for that.

With the Superbowl on the horizon, I am putting together a list of snacks that will keep the troops happy while watching the game. Since fist-pumps and high-fives are an integral part of the game, snacks that require only one hand to eat are essential. A variation of this chicken wing recipe has been in my recipe box for many years, generously given to me by an old friend in Vancouver. Tossed in a sauce made of soy sauce, honey, and ginger, these wings offer an enticing balance of sweet and salty.

In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 cup honey, 2 tablespoons canola oil, 1 teaspoon rice vinegar, 2 chopped garlic cloves, and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place 4 pounds chicken wings, split, into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the chicken wings and toss gently until all of the wings are coated.

Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the skin on the wings begins to darken, turning the wings occasionally, about 1 hour. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Serve.

Other chicken wings recipes:

2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
4 lbs. chicken wings & drumettes
Toasted sesame seeds
1 scallion, chopped (optional)

In a medium saucepan, whisk together soy sauce, honey, canola oil, rice vinegar, garlic, and ginger. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower heat and let gently simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place chicken wings, split, into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Pour the soy sauce mixture over the chicken wings and toss gently until all of the wings are coated.

1 Christine January 28, 2010 at 5:17 am

My family is a BIG fan of baked chicken wings. I didn't know there's a tradition of enjoying baked chicken wings while Superbowl is on in US until I moved to Australia.
Your chicken wings are so tempting, make me feel craving….

2 Divina Pe January 28, 2010 at 6:03 am

These are just perfect. Maybe I should do this while watching the Vancouver Olympics next month. :D

3 Tia January 28, 2010 at 7:43 am

weird, i'm from vancouver and this is almost exactly my fave go to wing recipe! delish!

4 Cookin' Canuck January 28, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Christine – These wings do seem to be an adult and family-pleaser.

Divina – I think we can safely say that these are a cross-sports kind of snack. I'll probably make these during the Olympics, too.

Tia – How funny! Maybe we have the same generous friend.

5 Rochelle January 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

We don't do the Super bowl here, but I don't think it matters 'cause these look like they'd be great for just about anything!

6 Maria January 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

The hubs LOVES making wings, he is always inviting friends over so he can make them-since I won't eat them:) I will have to have him try your recipe next time around!

7 MaryMoh January 28, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Mmmm….finger-licking good. My children will surely love this. They will eat this while watching TV.

8 Ruth January 28, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Yum!! Would you leave them to marinate before baking at all for some minutes? Its just that when I make anything like this, the sauce doesnt seem to soak into the meat.

9 Judy January 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm

This is heaven sent -I'm going to be doing this tonight, using boned chicken thighs as I bought a whole lot of those today: I can't wait to taste them! Thanks!

10 Tasty Eats At Home January 28, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I have been craving wings for weeks – not just buffalo-style, either. These would be PERFECT. Yum.

11 Cookin' Canuck January 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Rochelle – You're right. These are not just Superbowl fare. Being from Canada, I'd have to say they're excellent hockey game snacks.

Maria – You have the most amazing willpower! I hope Josh enjoys these.

MaryMoh – These are definitely kid-friendly wings.

Ruth – Though it won't hurt them, I don't think that marinating is necessary. These have plenty of flavor without it.

Judy – Thank you! I hope you enjoy these.

Tasty Eats – I get tired of the fiery hot wings and these are the perfect antidote.

12 pegasuslegend January 28, 2010 at 6:28 pm

what a nice change and just in time for super bowl love the shiney sticky wings, finger licking good!

13 Chris De La Rosa January 29, 2010 at 1:41 am

Superbowl in 2 weeks and I'm hosting my first party. Your wing recipe may just make the menu. looks amazing!

I'll give it a test run this weekend if I can find time to go down to the farmers market for some fresh wings.

happy cooking

chris…

14 April Cavin January 29, 2010 at 2:05 am

Wing recipes are like shoes– you can never have two many! This one is a keeper, for sure :)

15 Claudia January 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I make almost that exact recipe. It is delicious, gets scarfed up, is easy and you have the satisfaction of a job well done!

16 wasabi prime January 29, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Again, bless you for baking the wings. Not that I don't like the texture of fried, but I just don't do it at home — so messy! It's encouraging to see the same yummy results can be achieved through oven methods!

17 ncl117 January 30, 2010 at 3:28 am

these look so good – i can imagine myself on the couch snacking on these – i love the sesame seeds on top too, a great touch!

18 Nicole, RD January 30, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Looks soooo good!

19 Cookin' Canuck January 30, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for all of your comments. Even though these wings are not fried like traditional recipes, I guarantee that they will not disappoint. I actually prefer this baked version over fried ones. A little less guilt with a ton of flavor!

20 CherylK January 31, 2010 at 3:28 pm

That picture alone sold me! But the recipe sounds easy and that's another plus. Thanks.

21 Barbara Bakes February 1, 2010 at 3:47 am

I think having boys you get to be a sports fan even if you didn't plan on it. Your wings look sticky and delicious! Such a beautiful bowl!

22 Diana Palma February 6, 2010 at 10:40 am

That's I was searching for:) Thanks a lot!!!

23 kate February 19, 2010 at 10:17 am

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Lucy

24 Linda www.mykindofcooking.com March 7, 2010 at 12:37 am

I love the photos on your blog. I have recipe blog and now have a new appreciation for pictures of food!

25 Linda www.mykindofcooking.com March 7, 2010 at 12:37 am

26 Jack August 13, 2010 at 1:04 am

Hey I recently stumbled upon your blog, I really like the presentation. I personally tried this recipe and it's great. Congratulations, and would be a regular visitor to your site from now onwards. I tag you!

I have this personal cooking blog that you might like

Chicken Wings Recipes

27 Anonymous October 24, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Great recipe!
I tried my own twist and marinaded them over night in a bowl.Apparently I used too much honey but that made it just right.

Thanks!
Greetings from Josh

28 Mrs. L January 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Love chicken wings…great for football parties AND hockey parties!

29 Hope April 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Made these today and I’m a huge fan; such a great mix of flavors! I marinated my wings in buttermilk and ginger for 12 hours while I went to work and I got such a nice, juicy result. Cheers on the great recipe; thank you!

30 striptease February 12, 2014 at 10:52 am

Met the right people at the right time, a lifetime of happiness.
They are great places to find furniture, and when you live on a budget like we do, every chance you get to save
a little money is great. While it is on the performers to impress &
seduce you, no dancer will be willing to hurt her money by dancing for you & coming away smelling like a garage or all scratched up by heavy-duty work pants.

31 electric skillet recipes March 20, 2014 at 9:05 am

Remember that a fully seasoned cast iron skillet needs time and use to become truly non-stick.

” It’s not a bad idea, but unless I’m going to be setting up the grill for more than just pizza, it isn’t a cost-effective idea. These motors are absolutely perfect even to maneuver in little or shallow waters.

32 Imogen March 20, 2014 at 9:12 am

These inexpensive stickers can be placed inside the book once the graduate decides
to keep it. Therefore, lets take a look at a few more examples
and include some of the standard and usual graduation gifts.
If your mother loves flowers, tea, or both, she will enjoy this unique Mother’s Day gift.

33 Jolene March 20, 2014 at 9:16 am

The armoire is just under 4 feet wide and the rack
is 2 feet wide, taking up all the floor space available in the
closet. I took several photos of each item – one right after another.
Executive desk- These computer desk are perfect table
with plenty of space making it both functional as a work space and dominant
as a piece of interior design.