Feb 17
2010

Mum’s Savory Beef and Potato Curry Recipe

Mum's Savory Beef & Potato Curry Recipe

Sweat and tears. That’s what one family friend requests when invited for an evening of my mum’s savory curry, and my mum is always more than happy to oblige. (Yes, I spell Mum with a “u”. I say “zed”, too. You know, the last letter of the alphabet.) Our friend continues to spoon the curry into his mouth, despite the fact that his beet red face is covered with rivulets of sweat and tears. We require him to sign a waiver before he starts to eat and the paramedics are put on high alert.

Now, I don’t prefer my curry Hades-hot. Thankfully, neither does my family. My mum, who grew up in Jamaica and spent the first two years of her 44-year (and counting) marriage to my dad in Malaysia, pulls the influences and flavors of those countries into her curry. This versatile recipe can be made with beef, chicken thighs, or lamb and pleases with its aromatic depth.

Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Peel and core one baking apple (I typically use Gala) and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Add it to the saucepan, along with 1/2 medium onion, chopped and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger.

Sauté until the onions are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 7 ounces mild curry paste (I use Patak’s) and 2 minced garlic cloves. Lower the heat to low, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, fat trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces and 1/2 cup water. Increase the heat to medium to medium-high, depending on your stove and cook for about 10 minutes.

Add 1 can (14 oz.) light coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat to low.

In a small bowl, combine 2 teaspoons each of ground coriander, cumin, and garam masala, along with about 2 tablespoons water. Stir to make a paste.

Add the paste to the beef mixture. Peel and cut 4 small russet potatoes into 1-inch pieces and add to the pot. Stir, cover the pot, with the lid ajar, and simmer for approximately 2 hours, or until the gravy thickens. Taste the curry and add spices to suit your taste.

Other curry recipes:

Cookin’ Canuck’s Rich & Savory Chicken Curry
Herbivoracioius’ Quick Chana Masala with Mushrooms
Simply Recipes’ Mango Chicken Curry
Rasa Malaysia’s Chicken Tikka Masala

Mum’s Savory Beef and Potato Curry

1 tsp canola oil
1 baking apple (such as Gala), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
7 oz. jarred mild curry paste (such as Patak’s)
1 1/2 pounds stew meat, fat trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup water
1 can (14 oz.) light coconut milk
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp water
4 small russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces

Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add apple, onion, and ginger to the saucepan. Sauté until the onions are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add curry paste and garlic. Lower the heat to low, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add beef stew meat and 1/2 cup water. Increase the heat to medium to medium-high and cook for about 10 minutes. Pour in coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat to low.

In a small bowl, combine ground coriander, cumin, and garam masala, along with about 2 tablespoons water. Stir to make a paste. Add the paste and potatoes to the beef mixture. Stir, cover the pot, with the lid ajar, and simmer for approximately 2 hours, or until the gravy thickens. Taste the curry and add spices to suit your taste. Serve over basmati rice, with raita (yogurt mixed with grated cucumber) and mango chutney.

Serves 6.

1 Mum in Bloom February 17, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! I've printed it and saved it to try soon :) My husband loves loves hot curry dishes.

2 Nicole February 17, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Curry is a flavor/spice on my to do list that I haven't tried or cooked. Your dish looks amazing. I don't know what I'm waiting for!

3 Divina Pe February 17, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Wow, congratulations to your parents for their 44 years. I love any type of curry but not too spicy. I'm now salivating while I'm reading the procedure.

4 ABowlOfMush February 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Wow this looks really delicious!
Lovely recipe :)

5 Kalyn February 17, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Oh wow, your mom grew up in Jamaica and lived in Malaysia. That explains a lot about your adventurous food experiments. This sounds wonderful. Since I don't eat potatoes too much, I'm thinking you could make it with cauliflower in place of the potatoes; what do you think?

6 Maria February 17, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I love family recipes. They are always the best-great memories make food even better. Great dish and thanks for sharing!

7 CherylK February 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Looks scrumptious. I've never made curry but I like it. Maybe I'll give it a go.

8 Tommy Salami February 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Yummy recipe. I'm gonna make this with turnips, let's see if they can tell the difference :)

9 5 Star Foodie February 17, 2010 at 6:53 pm

This curry sounds excellent! I think I'll make that instead of our regular beef stew tonight! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

10 Jenn February 17, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I must remember to make curry. I MUST remember to make curry!!

11 Tasty Eats At Home February 17, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Drool. This reminds me of this dish my husband loved at a Thai restaurant recently, with a few changes in spices. He ordered Beef Massaman (sp?). It was delicious. I think i need to try this.

12 Trix February 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Since I don't eat beef but I'm loving that curry paste, I bet this would be fabu with chick peas subbing for the beef. I do love super spicy hot, I'm not gonna lie, but this dish reminds me that if done correctly, a milder curry can be absolutely bursting with flavor. Your mom must be so cool!

13 Milton February 18, 2010 at 7:01 am

Hey fellow Mum'er and Zed'er! :P Thankyou so muchf or sharing this recipe. I adore these kinds of recipes and treasure the recipes that my mum gives me too! :)

14 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 18, 2010 at 7:02 am

15 penny aka jeroxie February 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

apples in curry… I must try that.

16 Cookin' Canuck February 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Thanks so much for all of your comments. I'm glad everyone is finding this recipe as enticing as I do.

Kalyn, I think cauliflower would work really well in place of the potato. Cauliflower appears regular in Indian dishes and pairs well with these flavors.

Tommy, let me know how it works out with turnips. I bet they'll never notice!

Trix, chickpeas would be a great way to make this into a vegetarian dish.

17 Teanna February 18, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Oh wow that look so absolutely amazing. My mom is from Trinidad and these types of dishes are my favorite. Wow. Love!

18 Sandie {Inn Cuisine} February 18, 2010 at 5:40 pm

This dish looks & sounds so appetizing, and comforting too. I don't cook curry dishes much at home (although I order them when dining out), but this recipe has inspired me to rethink my efforts.

19 Janice February 18, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Oh my that must be hot! I heard a comment on tv that you shouldn't make a man cry over his food and that was a Jamaican lady! I like that you have a 'Mum' – me too!

20 MaryMoh February 18, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Looks delicious. I can never have enough of curry. Goes great with rice….yum

21 pegasuslegend February 19, 2010 at 2:55 am

wow very sweet and 44 years awesome congrats…very nice post

22 Giles - Anyone For Seconds? February 19, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Mmmmm this is right up my street! I love making curries and am going to have to have a go at making this one :)

23 Amy (Sing For Your Supper) February 19, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Wow, this is one of the most appetizing dishes I've seen in a while! I have got to try this soon!! Thanks for posting your mum's (look at me, I said "mum"!) awesome-looking recipe!! :-)

24 Chef Fresco February 20, 2010 at 3:35 am

This looks so good! Perfect combo of spices. I bet you have had so many great recipes growing up!

25 Catherine February 22, 2010 at 12:39 pm

This looks delicious! I'm always looking for more ways to eat potato (I'm a bit of a potato fiend). How adorable of your mum and dad's 44 years, I wish them many more :)

26 My Little Space February 26, 2010 at 1:03 am

Wow, I was pretty surprise when you said that your mom actually stayed in Malaysia before. No wonder your curry looks so familiar. I think you've never mentioned this before, right? So, your dad is a Malaysian? I'm sorry! I'm curious to find out more. hehe…. And I think your curry looks splendid! Just like our local one! Well done!
Best regards, Kristy

27 mummydinosaur March 9, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I made this on the weekend and we loved it (even my non-beef eating husband!). Thanks for the recipe.
From another mum. (www.mummydinosaur.blogspot.com)

28 Anonymous November 11, 2010 at 3:38 am

This is one of the many curry recipes at home that I seldom see. My mom loves cooking it!

29 Lynne July 15, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Just made it… YUM YUM! going to have it tomorrow for supper. Waiting for it to cool down right now to put in the fridge. This recipe is a keeper for me! Thanks!

30 Khz October 7, 2013 at 12:34 am

My House smells amazing while i have this simmering away, I’ve added a can of chopped tomato because i love a curry with tomato and I’m also going to add cauliflower , chick peas and green peas and at the end just a little fresh spinach mixed through, i love getting the veggies in when i can….cant wait to have it with the yogurt and some roti bread….YUMMM.