Jun 14
2010

Smoky Burger Sliders with Grilled Pineapple & Chipotle Mayonnaise Recipe

Smoky Burger Sliders with Grilled Pineapple & Chipotle Mayonnaise Recipe

Our first experience with sliders was years ago at The Cheesecake Factory. My father-in-law kept talking about these awesome sliders and all I could think, “Sliders? How the heck does baseball fit with the Cheesecake Factory?” Now I get it. As soon as those miniature burgers were placed in front of us, I was smitten and determined to come up with a version of my own. These palm-sized sliders were born from one of those typical weekend afternoon conversations. “What do you want for dinner tonight?” “I don’t know, what do you want for dinner?” Our youngest son pipes in, “How about ice cream?” As I seriously mulled over the container of mint chip ice cream sitting in our freezer, my husband came up with the idea of sliders. Okay, so we just had a delectable version at our friends’ house the previous night, but I was more than happy for the suggestion, particularly when he piled slices of grilled pineapple onto the chipotle pepper-laced grilled burger that formed in my head.

These little burgers come together in a matter of minutes and will reward you with meat so tender that the juices will be dripping down your chin. The smokiness and heat of the peppers in the patties and the mayonnaise is balanced by the sweetness of the grilled fruit, the doughiness of the lightly toasted bun, and the mellow flavor of melted queso fresco cheese.

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.

The patties:
In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 pounds ground meat (I used 88% lean), 1 chipotle pepper, seeded and minced, 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from chipotle pepper container), 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

The mayonnaise:
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 chipotle pepper, seeded and chopped, 1 teaspoon adobo sauce, and 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice.

The pineapple:
Place two large pineapple rings, preferably fresh, on the grill and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and cut each ring into quarters.

Putting it together:
Cut 8 wheat dinner rolls (or other small rolls) in half horizontally and place cut side down on the grill. Remove when the cut side is lightly toasted. Spread a generous amount of chipotle mayonnaise on each roll.

Place the meat patties on the grill and cook, lid closed, 5 minutes per side, or until barely cooked through. I like a little bit of pink inside to ensure optimal juiciness.

Please resist all urges to press the patties down with a spatula (yeah, I’m talking to you). You will only succeed in pushing out all of the beautiful juices. I promise that these little guys will cook perfectly without any prodding.

In the last minute of cooking, top each patty with a thin slice of queso fresco cheese. Close the lid of the barbecue to melt the cheese.

Remove the patties from the grill and place one patty on the bottom half of each prepared roll. Top each patty with a piece of grilled pineapple and top with the top half of the roll. Serve.

Other slider recipes:

Smitten Kitchen’s Meatball Sliders
Picky Palate’s Feta Sun-Dried Tomato Turkey Burger Sliders
The Hungry Mouse’s Lamb Sliders with Rosemary & Mint
Macheesmo’s Veggie Slider
Big Red Kitchen’s White Castle-like Sliders

Smoky Burger Sliders with Grilled Pineapple & Chipotle Mayonnaise

The patties:
1 1/2 lb. ground beef (about 88% lean)
1 chipotle pepper, seeded and minced
2 tsp adobo sauce (from the chipotle pepper can)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

The mayonnaise:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 chipotle pepper, seeded and minced
1 tsp adobo sauce (from the chipotle pepper can)
2 tsp fresh lime juice

The pineapple:
2 large rings pineapple (preferably fresh)

8 wheat dinner rolls (or other small rolls), split in half crosswise
8 slices queso fresco cheese (sliced from the round)

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.

The patties:
n a medium bowl, combine ground meat , chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, fresh cilantro, salt, and pepper. Mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Divide the meat mixture into 8 equal pieces and form each into patties that are 2 1/2 to 3-inches in diameter. (Can be made ahead. Place on a baking sheet, cover, and chill. Bring the room temperature before grilling.)

The mayonnaise:
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, and lime juice.

The pineapple:
Place pineapple rings on the grill and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and cut each ring into quarters.

Putting it together:
Place the rolls cut side down on the grill. Remove when the cut side is lightly toasted. Spread a generous amount of chipotle mayonnaise on each roll.

Remove the patties from the grill and place one patty on the bottom half of each prepared bun. Top each patty with a piece of grilled pineapple and top with the top half of the bun. Serve.

Makes 8 sliders.

1 Tia June 14, 2010 at 5:02 am

i've tried to find adobo and chipotle peppers but can't! where do you get them?

2 Jenn June 14, 2010 at 7:05 am

Plump little sliders. I'll take three. :)

3 pegasuslegend June 14, 2010 at 11:28 am

fabulous burger and the picture is outstanding…a must try! your kids must have loved these for sure~

4 Sarah @ Mum In Bloom June 14, 2010 at 11:52 am

Wowzers! These look fabulous. They'd taste good made with ground turkey I bet. I love the combination of flavours here. Nice work and beautiful photos :)

5 bellini valli June 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I just love miniature goods so you don't feel guilty anout eating more than one:D

6 Chef E June 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Now I just told hubby that I would not get excited over a burger, but you have got me with the addition of pineapple! I love sliders, something about them just go down easier than a bigger one…

7 Cookin' Canuck June 14, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Thanks for all of your comments. These little burgers are a new favorite in our house.

Tia, I find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (all in one can together) in the Mexican section of our local supermarkets. Alternatively, you could look at a Mexican/Latin market.

Jenn & Bellini, I love that you can eat more than one of these with minimal guilt.

Claudia, my 6-year old, who usually turns his nose up at burgers, ate two of these.

Sarah, ground turkey would work really well with these. Tell me if you give that a try.

Chef E, the pineapple absolutely makes these burgers. Thanks to my husband for that suggestion.

8 Mother Rimmy June 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Fantastic! We're having a family barbecue for Father's Day. This will be a people pleaser. Thanks for the recipe!

9 Anne June 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm

These look great! I love cooking with chipotle peppers. I never would've thought to add pineapple, but it sounds like a great combination.

10 Mary June 14, 2010 at 3:47 pm

How delicious these must be. The play of chipotle and pineapple must be wonderful. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

11 DessertForTwo June 14, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I am in love with all things chipotle flavored. I can't imagine how good it is with cool pineapple! Thanks for sharing!

12 Kalyn June 14, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I love the idea of little burgers too, and these look extra tasty!

13 Devaki June 14, 2010 at 6:31 pm

These are gorgeous. I can't believe I have yet to make sliders, ever!

The chipotle mayo is awesome necuase I personally think that adobo sauce is God's gift to foodie's like us. Also love the queso on top.

Nothing to not love & a whole lotta love.

Thanks for the inspiration. You may just have succeeded getting me on the slider band wagon :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

PS – love the tip on not prodding the buger. Truer words were never spoken.

14 Belinda @zomppa June 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

You've a few inches over me. =) Great things come in small packages.

15 Karina Allrich June 14, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I have some ground buffalo in the fridge. I think I'll make little burgers with it. I love this idea! (Beautiful photos!)

16 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) June 14, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Wonderful little burgers… but I have to admit that I'd eat almost anything with chipotle mayo on it! I think I'm developing an addiction.

17 Food For Tots June 15, 2010 at 12:16 am

I love the idea of these little burgers. So tasty yet healthy! What a satisfying meal! ;)

18 FabFrugalFood June 15, 2010 at 3:21 am

Ok, the sliders are great, but really what's wrong with ice cream for dinner?

Love the smoky flavor!

19 Barbara @ moderncomfortfood June 15, 2010 at 11:16 am

I love the combination of smokey, hot, sweet, and savory you've used here. And the inclusion of chopped cilantro in the burgers themselves is an idea I'll definitely try. Many thanks.

20 Emily Malloy (Ziegler) June 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm

My.
Mouth.
Is.
Watering.

21 Maggy @ ThreeManyCooks June 15, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Wow, my mom and I are sitting here and we both said "I want that now….now!" These sliders look incredible. Love everything about them!

22 5 Star Foodie June 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

These sliders look absolutely terrific! I love the smokey flavors from the adobo sauce and the mayo is very inspiring!

23 Suzanne aka vivisue June 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Nothing like chipotle and pineapple! These look wonderful! Won't have to wonder what our next burger meal is going to be now. Thanks!

24 Tasty Eats At Home June 15, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Be still, my heart! These look AMAZING! I am a huge fan of all things chipotle, but with pineapple? That's got to be a party in my mouth. (yes, lame metaphor, but seriously, I'm excited about these!)

25 R4 SDHC June 15, 2010 at 11:25 pm

That looks absolutely gorgeous. It's midnight though, I don't want to get hungry now! LOL

26 Amanda June 16, 2010 at 12:56 am

These look fabulous! Gave you a thumbs up on SU :)

And by the way, I tried to reply to you on SU and it told me I couldn't because you have reached the maximum # of shares available. I'm guessing you haven't used your toolbar in a while! LOL

27 Jen Cheung June 16, 2010 at 5:42 am

DELICIOUS!!! i should try this out at home… but where do i find mini buns??? ><" must be somewhere eh? thanks for ur ideaaaaa!!

jen

28 Cookie Sleuth June 19, 2010 at 4:14 am

Those look great! Plus ground beef is on sale this week. Yay! I have the same question about the mini buns. Where can I find them?

29 Cookin' Canuck June 19, 2010 at 4:26 am

Jen & Cookie Sleuth – I just used wheat dinner rolls from the bakery section of the supermarket. Nothing fancy, but they did the trick.

30 Lea Ann June 20, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I made these last night for a Father's Day bbq. Excellent. Thanks for the recipe. The little slice of pineapple was outstanding. I appreciate your photo of the thickness of those little burgers. It worked well for grilling because they are the same thickness as a regular burger. LOVED the flavors, great recipe.

31 Cookin' Canuck June 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Lee Ann, I'm so glad you enjoyed these sliders! The grilled pineapple really does add something special to these burgers. Thanks for letting me know.

32 Megan June 21, 2010 at 1:12 am

these look terrific. Add a bed of cilantro and I'm all over it!

33 ivoryhut June 25, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Those look absolutely delicious! Love the addition of chipotle. This is going straight into next week's dinner menu.

34 Tonia April 20, 2011 at 10:40 am

I had no beef so made with pork. Yummy. I love the sauce. The lime is a great addition I would not have thought of with mayo. I think the sauce would be good as a shrimp dip, I’m going to try it later this week. This is the first of your reciepes I’ve made but am definately going to make more. Thanks!