Jul 23
2010

Grilled Pattypan (or Summer) Squash, Tomato & Feta Cheese Salad Recipe

Grilled Pattpan (or Summer) Squash, Tomato & Feta Cheese Salad Recipe

As June turns to July, one of the first stops I make is a little farm stand about 15 minutes from our house. It is run by a family that believes that garden fresh vegetables do not require chemical sprays to flourish and nourish. As strange as it sounds, finding a live grub or two in my ear of corn sets my mind at ease. Of course, I still squeal like a pre-teen girl at a Justin Bieber concert (though in disgust, not feverish excitement) until the crawling creature is disposed of by my husband. This year, however, the farm stand opened late – two days ago, to be exact. After weeks of driving past the entrance to the farm – a stealthy stalker I am not – I finally steered my car towards the downtown Salt Lake City farmer’s market to get my fix of organic vegetables.

That is where I came upon this monstrous pattypan squash. At least, that is what the vendor called it. The pattypan squashes I am familiar with are typically miniature specimens, no more than 2 or 3 inches in diameter. This squash, however, had grown to 7 or 8 inches, but with the same distinctive scalloped edges of its smaller siblings. If you do not happen upon a squash like this, feel free to use summer squash or small pattypans instead. I cut it into thick slices, tossed it with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and gave it a quick blast on a hot grill. Tossed with balsamic vinegar, grape tomatoes, feta cheese, and fresh mint, this salad is phenomenally good served warm, but is still very tasty when served at room temperature.

Preheat grill to high heat.

Cut 1 large (about 1 3/4 pounds) pattypan squash, or equal weight of summer squash, into 1/2-inch thick slices. In a large bowl, toss the squash slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.

Put the squash back into the bowl and add about 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half, 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon thinly slice fresh mint leaves (about 5 large leaves). Gently toss and serve either still warm (preferable) or room temperature.

Other grilled summer squash recipes:

Cookin’ Canuck’s Israeli Couscous with Grilled Summer Vegetables
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Grilled Sausage & Summer Squash with Herbs, Capers, Kalamata Olives & Feta
Pinch My Salt’s Grilled Yellow Squash with Fresh Dill Vinaigrette & Feta
Kitchen Gardeners’ Grilled Marinated Summer Squash

Grilled Pattypan (or Summer) Squash, Tomato & Feta Salad

1 (1 3/4 pounds) pattypan squash, or equivalent weight in summer squash
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
16 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp thinly sliced fresh mint

Preheat grill to high heat.

Cut squash into 1/2-inch thick slices. In a large bowl, toss the squash slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Lay the squash on the grill and cook until the squash is tender, but still slightly crisp, about 3 minutes per side.

Put the squash back into the bowl and add tomatoes, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar, and mint leaves. Gently toss and serve either still warm (preferable) or room temperature.

Serves 6 as side dish.

1 Koek! July 23, 2010 at 8:14 am

Love this salad – just the kind of thing I like to eat. And your photos are always so beautiful…
Robyn

2 Sinful Southern Sweets July 23, 2010 at 11:02 am

I'm glad to find this recipe. I'm always intimidate by the shape of those patty pan squash. Glad to see they are just as easy to cook as any other squash. Beautiful recipe!

3 bellini valli July 23, 2010 at 12:43 pm

My favourite farm stand is now closed so I am struggling to find a place that sells corn, since there was nothing like it anywhere:D That is a large pattypan, but I'll bet it was perfectly grilled.

4 madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen July 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Yet another reason I need to purchase a grill. Looks delish!

5 Linda July 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm

thanks so much, I had pattypan squash and tomatoes in my CSA box and I was just trying to come up with something for them when your post arrived. perfect timing.

6 Spicie Foodie July 23, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Yet another delicious recipe Dara! As soon as I can get my hands on a pattypan I am trying your recipe. How lucky for you to live so close to a farm. I love the photograph, very nice.

7 penny aka jeroxie July 23, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Squash seems to be so popular. Such a pity that Ive not developed a taste for it… but it looks so good though

8 Suzanne aka vivisue July 23, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Oh my! Squash is a favorite of mine, year-round! And I mean ANY kind of squash. Love the Patty-Pan. In fact, when I read that it made me think that I've heard my mom use that term for these squash. Somewhere back in my youth . . . WAY back. LOL!

9 Kalyn July 23, 2010 at 3:43 pm

You know I love this recipe; so many of my favorite ingredients. (I have that same type of squash in my garden; this variety of Pattypan is called "Flying Saucer Squash." I thought that was kind of cute!)

10 Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I just wanted to tell you I LOVE your photographs- they're beautiful!! And your dishes sound so yummy :)

11 pegasuslegend July 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Oh this is just beautiful have never seen this before and your dish is perfect for it!

12 Debi Shawcross July 23, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I live on room temperature salads like this in summer. A wonderful celebration of flavor.

13 Our Family Eats July 24, 2010 at 3:00 am

This looks delicious! I love feta – great way to use it with beautiful summer veggies!

14 Barbara Bakes July 24, 2010 at 3:12 am

The salad looks so fresh and delicious. I can't wait for the South Jordan Farmer's Market to open next Saturday.

15 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) July 24, 2010 at 4:33 am

I adore pattypan squash. My favorite are the very pale green ones; they seem to taste most delicate. I like to grill them, as you have, and also to stuff and steam them.

16 Devaki July 24, 2010 at 4:42 am

Dear Dara – I am speechless! This has got to be one of the most beautiful salads I have seen in a long long time. Gorgeous flavors with the roasted squash, chicken, lovely ripe tomatoes and balsamic.

Perfect for the season!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

17 Squeaky Gourmet July 24, 2010 at 10:41 am

this looks and sounds amazing! I just LOVE this time of year and the farmers market!

18 citronetvanille July 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Wonderful and fresh salad! What a beautiful combination of flavors!

19 jen cheung July 24, 2010 at 9:23 pm

i love how all your dishes, have so many variety of colors! I've learn that in my food class in grade 11. variety of color in food is very important! :) love your dishes.

PS: Have a lovely weekend!
Jen

20 Magic of Spice July 24, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Oh my this is gorgeous! Wow I could eat this everyday…

21 Mags July 24, 2010 at 10:25 pm

What a fantastic summer recipe. Garden veggie recipes like this tickle the crap out of me!

22 tom | tall clover farm July 25, 2010 at 3:09 pm

This is my kind of recipe; it's simple, uses fresh ingredients and adds a couple twists. Nice!

23 marla {family fresh cooking} July 25, 2010 at 6:04 pm

You have created such a great recipe with beautiful Summer produce. Your photos are great! I too squeal when I come across a visitor in my organic fruits and veggies. xo

24 Shriya July 25, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Wow!!! Interesting recipe. I have some squash sitting in my pantry, gonna try this recipe. Awesome click!!!

25 Maria July 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Great way to use up the summer veggies!

26 Megan July 27, 2010 at 12:43 am

I love the addition of the mint, looks delish!

27 Maggy@ThreeManyCooks.com July 27, 2010 at 1:04 am

Delicious and fresh, I love it. I made pattypan squash for lunch today, but wish I had seen this recipe. This is definitely going on my "to make" list!

28 Cookie Sleuth July 27, 2010 at 3:15 am

This is such a great use of summer vegetables. Yum!

29 The Waspy Redhead July 27, 2010 at 3:19 am

I love squash – haven't had enough this summer. Thanks for the reminder!

30 Fuji Mama July 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Oh my goodness, that pattypan is ginormous!!! This looks delicious. I love summertime!!

31 Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook July 28, 2011 at 7:07 am

We made this dish a few nights ago and I thought I would add my review here :)

The sweetness of the squash and tomatoes contrast so nicely with the salty feta and balsamic vinegar. We whipped this up quick because Baby Boy was approaching Nuclear Meltdown (aka – bed time). I snuck a bite of it warm, then had it later at room temperature; fantastic either way. Great recipe :)