Jul 30
2010

Grilled Zucchini Roll Recipe with Herbed Goat Cheese & Kalamata Olives

These grilled zucchini rolls are filled with herbed goat cheese and kalamata. Quick, easy and the tastiest vegetarian appetizer!
Grilled Zucchini Roll Recipe with Herbed Goat Cheese & Kalamata Olives | cookincanuck.com #vegetarian #MeatlessMonday

There are times when a recipe falls into place so beautifully that you think some greater force must be at work. It is as though a translucent vision of Julia Child, adorned with wings and a halo, floated into my kitchen, laid the ingredients gently in my arms and with a beatific smile, uttered her immortal words, “Bon Appetit!” It could happen. Divine inspiration struck with the sudden appearance of a massive zucchini in my garden. I swear it was not there yesterday. The herbed goat cheese arrived on my doorstep just a few days ago, sent by the generous people at the Ile de France Cheese company. The kalamata olives? Well, olives of all types take up permanent residency in my fridge, regularly replenished as my salt-obsessed palate plows through container after container.

All that was left to do was grill the monstrous squash, mix together the tangy cheese and salty purple-black specimens, and incorporate it all into delectable little rolls. Serve a few of these as appetizers or for a light lunch, alongside a salad or bowl of soup. Heavenly.

Preheat grill to high heat.

Using 1 large zucchini or 3 small ones, slice a strip lengthwise from the zucchini to expose the inside of the vegetable. Discard or reserve for another use. Cut the 2 ends from the zucchini to make straight edges. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips. If using a large zucchini, cut each of these strips in half crosswise. This won’t be necessary with small zucchini.

Brush both sides of the zucchini pieces liberally with olive oil. Season well with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lay the zucchini pieces on the grill at a 45-degree angle (for more attractive grill marks). Cook until the zucchini is very tender, but not mushy, about 3 minutes per side, moving the pieces during cooking to ensure even browning.

Remove zucchini from the grill. Set a wire cooling rack on top of a bowl to give the cooling rack extra clearance from the counter. Drape the zucchini pieces on the rack to cool. This method will stop the zucchini from steaming will cooling.

Place 3 1/2 ounces herbed goat cheese in a medium bowl. Roughly chop 1 1/2 ounces pitted kalamata olives (about 7 to 8 olives) and stir into the goat cheese.

Spread a layer of the goat cheese mixture onto one side of each zucchini piece. Gently roll each piece of zucchini. Serve.

Other zucchini rolls recipes:

Apple Pie, Patis & Pate’s Ricotta-Stuffed Zucchini Rolls
Janet is Hungry’s Zucchini Rolls with Salmon & Cream Cheese
Apple Crumbles’ Zucchini Roll Ups with Herbs & Cheese
Apples & Butter’s Grilled Zucchini Rolls

Grilled Zucchini Rolls with Herbed Goat Cheese & Kalamata Olives
Adapted from a Fine Cooking Magazine recipe

1 very large or 3 small zucchini
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 1/2 oz. herbed goat cheese
1 1/2 oz. (about 7 or 8) kalamata olives, finely chopped

Preheat grill to high heat.

Slice a strip lengthwise from the zucchini to expose the inside of the vegetable. Discard or reserve for another use. Cut the 2 ends from the zucchini to make straight edges. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips. If using a large zucchini, cut each of these strips in half crosswise. This won’t be necessary with small zucchini.

Place goat cheese in a medium bowl. Stir olives into the goat cheese.

Makes 8 to 10 rolls.

1 Erika July 30, 2010 at 3:54 am

What a coincidence – I made something almost exactly like this last weekend! I used ricotta and fresh mint inside, but same idea. I love this recipe!

2 Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 30, 2010 at 4:09 am

Zucchini's triple their size in hours! I've grilled and stuffed tons of them. But everything is better with cheese! These are delicious!

3 bellini valli July 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Yes I would say this recipe has fallen into place.

4 Kalyn July 30, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Looks like a perfect recipe! Love the sound of it.

5 Tara July 30, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Oh I know I would be the only one in this house that would eat these but I really want to make them!

6 Deborah March 10, 2012 at 7:27 am

I wouldn’t think of that as a deterrent, Tara – Lol! I made them yesterday afternoon and I would had to have made more had anyone wanted to share. (grin)

7 Maria July 30, 2010 at 4:03 pm

We made a similar recipe…but used ricotta. I still need to post it:) Will try this one next!

8 Cookin' Canuck July 30, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Erika, fresh mint would be lovely with the zucchini.

Priscilla, my zucchini certainly seem to follow this growing rule!

Bellini Valli & Kalyn – Thank you.

Tara, that just means that you get them all to yourself. ;)

9 Cookin' Canuck July 30, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Maria, I didn't mean to ignore your comment. We must have been typing at the same time. I'm looking forward to reading about your version.

10 marla {family fresh cooking} July 30, 2010 at 5:14 pm

These Zucchini Rolls look heavenly. Glad you are able to use these beauties from your garden. Have you checked out the Summer Fest event? Zucchini is the produce of the week.

11 madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen July 30, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Yummy! I think Julia Child would be proud…

Bon Apetit, indeed!

12 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) July 30, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Beautiful! I might add mint, and also some parsley, from the garden, just because I have it!

13 Fight the Fat Foodie July 30, 2010 at 7:54 pm

This rocks!

14 Mags July 30, 2010 at 11:49 pm

What a great way to use the summer zucchini bounty. Love the ingredients and can't wait to try this!

15 Kate July 31, 2010 at 1:21 am

Great idea! I have the perfect zuchini, some leftover goat cheese from last night AND a ton of herbs… May top it with a bit of homemade pesto too… Thanks!!!

16 Barbara @moderncomfortfood July 31, 2010 at 11:19 am

Well done, Dara! I just love everything about this recipe, including the wonderful combination of ingredients and the flavor-enhancing cooking technique you've used.

17 I SO HUNGRY July 31, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Great recipes look delicious and what a lovely blog with nice pic as well. Thank you so much for sharing..

18 Amanda July 31, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Just look at how gorgeous those are!

19 Winnie July 31, 2010 at 4:05 pm

So beautiful and I am sure so delicious, too! You've got some of my favorite flavors in this recipe- yum, yum, yum.

20 EncinoMom July 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm

My garden is full of zucchini this summer. This sounds, great. You can be sure, I'll try it. Your photos are beautiful!

21 Rosemary July 31, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I'm lucky (I guess) that I don't need to grow zucchini myself because my neighbor is always so generous — this will be the first new (to me) zucchini recipe I try! Looks great. Thanks.

22 Rochelle July 31, 2010 at 9:12 pm

I'm really wishing I would have gotten some zucchini when I was at the store yesterday! I think I'll have to give this a try with some egg plant instead :D

23 Chef Bee August 1, 2010 at 3:07 am

Great way to share zucchini and your summer harvest.

Plan B

24 Joanne August 1, 2010 at 3:08 pm

The roll ups look so inviting. That has to be one of my favorite ways to enjoy zucchini and eggplant.
Such an enjoyable post. :)

25 Devaki August 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm

This is so lovely Dara – I will definitely fix these one day soon. What's not to love!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

26 Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having August 1, 2010 at 10:28 pm

There is so much beautiful zucchini at the markets, this sounds like a delicious way to use it!

27 A SPICY PERSPECTIVE August 2, 2010 at 3:24 am

Oh, your recipes always have such artful appeal! I love these!

28 Brie: Le Grand Fromage August 2, 2010 at 5:16 am

i do not like zucchini, but i'd be willing to try this dish since it involves goat cheese, and because it looks so good. ;)

29 Jenny August 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Wow! This looks so good, I am a goat cheese fanatic! Great recipe :)

30 Kate August 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm

We made these last night and they were awesome! I'd made a leftover beef tenderloin stuffed with bacon and mushrooms… and my husband devoured most of that before he tried these. Then, he said, WOW, these are even better than the beef. That from the guy who LOVES bacon :-) I actually added rosemary, oregano and basil. I'm going to try and get these and the beef recipe on my blog (kateiscooking.blogspot.com) by the end of the week. YUM! Thanks :-) Kate

31 Tracy August 2, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Wow, these look wonderful! What a great summer snack!

32 One of Ottawa's Real Foodies August 2, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Dara for reminding me of a lot lost 'friend'. I loved them back in 2002 and I loved them in 2010. Great to read your blog. Here is my Food Day Canada post on the zucchini rolls!

33 unaprix.com March 7, 2014 at 7:03 am

And to think I was going to talk to someone in person about this.

34 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker August 3, 2010 at 12:15 am

Oooh I love these zucchini rolls! I had something similar (zucchini & goat cheese appetizer) last summer, and it was fabulous!

35 Kevin August 3, 2010 at 12:43 am

The creamy goat cheese would go so well with the roasted eggplant!

36 Magic of Spice August 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm

These are beautiful and the ingredients are all favorite:)

37 Pam @ Kitchen Cookware Set August 4, 2010 at 5:06 am

Wow, you made it so easy to make this zucchini rolls with cheese. I think it will be perfect finger food for small gathering! I am going to try these this coming weekend.

38 Pretty. Good. Food. September 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm

This looks delicious! Your photographs are beautiful as well!
I've recently launched my own blog, I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! :) http://www.prettygoodfood.com Thanks and Happy Cooking!

39 dining room table October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

I love the cheese that you used for this recipe. Something new and unusual.

40 judee@glutenfreeA-Z October 15, 2010 at 5:28 pm

wow! I love kalamata olives and goat cheese. I've made something similar with eggplant. Next time I will make some out of eggplant and some out of zucchini..

It is my first time on your blog and after checking out a few recipes, I will be back.. Great blog!

41 Deborah March 10, 2012 at 7:35 am

Thank you for this recipe, Tara! I made them yesterday afternoon and blogged about them last night. They’re so delicious! Easy enough for an afternoon snack and elegant enough for company. We’ll be enjoying these all season long!

42 Tanya April 14, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I will be making this recipe tomorrow — can’t wait!
Where did you get your awesome ceramic olive oil jug?

43 Sarah July 31, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Is this something you can make ahead? I’m thinking of making these tonight and bringing them to book club tomorrow.

44 Marcella June 4, 2013 at 10:52 am

Fantastic site. A lot of helpful info here. I’m sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you to your sweat!

45 Maura June 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I just found this on pinterest yesterday and made them with dinner tonight – AMAZING. Thank you so much! The hardest part about these was not eating each one as I made them.

46 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 18, 2013 at 4:29 am

Thanks, Maura. I’m so glad that you enjoyed them! You are inspiring me to make this again tomorrow night.

47 Victoria July 26, 2014 at 8:19 am

I was looking for an appy recipe for my cooking club tonight. I wanted to use the fresh zucchini from my garden! So glad I came across this gem! Definitively preparing and sharing your recipe with my girlfriends. I know everyone will love this!! Thanks:)