Jun 3
2011

Easy Strawberry Sorbet Recipe

Easy-Strawberry-Sorbet-Recipe

When the fragrance of strawberries snaked its way from the other side of the kitchen, I knew it was time to make a simple recipe that would highlight the berries’ natural sweetness. Three ingredients – strawberries, sugar and lemon juice – are all that is needed to make this refreshing sorbet. This is the dessert that you want waiting in the freezer as you relax on the patio, tending the grill and watching the kids run through the sprinklers.

Speaking of grilling, don’t forget that Get Grillin’ 2011 starts on Monday with the appetizer round. We have a great prize lined up, so pull out those appetizers recipe for a chance to win. Check out the Get Grillin’ introductory post for details on entering.

Adjust the amount of sugar in this recipe according to the sweetness of the strawberries you are using. If you wish, start with a little less sugar, then taste the mixture after pureeing. If it needs more sugar, you can add more at that time.

StrawberrySorbet1

StrawberrySorbet2

Pour strawberry puree into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 to 4 hours. Serve.

StrawberrySorbetLS

Other sorbet recipes:

Eating Cleveland’s Lime Sorbet
Use Real Butter’s White Peach Sorbet
David Lebovitz’s Grapefruit Campari Sorbet

Easy Strawberry Sorbet Recipe

From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
Serves: Makes about 3 cups
Ingredients
  • 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • ½ cup granulated sugar (or more/less depending on sweetness of fruit)
  • 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, stir together strawberries and sugar. Let the strawberries rest for 15 minutes to release the juices (macerate).
  2. Place strawberries and the juices, and lemon juice in a blender. Puree until the mixture is smooth.
  3. Set fine mesh sieve over the bowl, pour in the strawberry puree and press the juices through the sieve. Discard the solids left in the sieve. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  4. Pour strawberry puree into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
  5. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 to 4 hours. Serve.

1 Ruth June 3, 2011 at 2:23 am

This looks fantastic! The perfect light dessert recipe for this time of year!

2 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) June 3, 2011 at 4:44 am

Glorious color on the sorbet! And thanks for the reminder to get my ice cream machine canister into the freezer. It spends all summer there, always ready to make ice cream or sorbet or frozen yogurt.

3 claudia lamascolo/aka pegasuslegend June 3, 2011 at 5:15 am

Wow the colors are magnificant in this bet the smell of this was fabulous too, it just looks so elegant to serve going to have to try this one!

4 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 3, 2011 at 5:43 am

the color is incredible! i love strawberry anything, but sorbet is definitely in the top 3 :)

5 Mai June 3, 2011 at 6:01 am

They looks absolutely divine! I heart sobet. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner :). Thanks for the recipe–I’ll try to make this tomorrow. Gorgeous pictures too!

6 megan @ whatmegansmaking June 3, 2011 at 7:16 am

yum!! Perfect for summer! I just got an ice cream maker last week and I’m totally making this :)

7 kelley June 3, 2011 at 7:53 am

Lovely. The strawberries have been so delicious the past few months, we can’t get enough of them. Now that the weather is nice what a great dessert for a warm summers night!

8 Katrina June 3, 2011 at 8:22 am

This will be perfect for my party this weekend. Love this!

9 Maria June 3, 2011 at 9:34 am

Easy and refreshing. I love it!

10 Brooks at Cakewalker June 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous dessert AND photography! You’ve nailed it again Dara, including the visuals of tending to the grill while the children frolick in the sprinklers. The simplicity of the ingredients and the procedure will find the recipe in my ice cream maker soon…thank you for sharing!

11 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 10:47 am

Thanks so much, Brooks. I hope you enjoy it.

12 Vicki @ WITK June 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

This looks simple and perfect! (Add in some whole milk and you’ve got the gelato I made a few weeks ago! :) ) Beautiful pictures really highlight this treat!

13 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 10:47 am

Your gelato sounds great, Vicki. I’ll check it out.

14 shelly (cookies and cups) June 3, 2011 at 9:45 am

This looks so summery and fun! 3 ingredients works for me!

15 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 10:46 am

You have to love desserts that only require a few ingredients and little effort.

16 Lauren@LittleYellowKitchen June 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

This is such a simple recipe! I love it. It’s supposed to be hot this weekend so I’m putting it on the to-make list for sure :)

17 Kate@Diethood June 3, 2011 at 9:59 am

I can’t wait for that summer heat so I can whip up this lovely dessert! Refreshing, delicious, easy… love it!

18 Asiya @ Chocolate & Chillies June 3, 2011 at 10:11 am

This looks so refreshing and easy. Is there any alternate way to making it without an ice cream maker?

19 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 10:46 am

Asiya, you can’t get the same texture without an ice cream maker. However, you could use the same recipe to make a really nice granita (more of a shaved ice look). Pour the mixture into a metal baking pan and place in freezer. Scrape with a fork every 30 minutes until the mixture is frozen. You can make this up to 3 days ahead.

20 Amanda June 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Actually, I’ve found that a stick blender or food processor will get you the same results! Just, as Dara suggested, put the mixture into a metal baking pan. Rather than scrape with a fork, wait until it starts to freeze hard and use a stick blender on it. Or scrape up chunks and blend, or put them through you food processor. Just repeat a couple times until the texture is how you like it!

It helps that I usually use gelatin or a little cassis liqueur to soften my sorbets I think? Either way, I’ve used this method several times when I don’t have my ice cream maker ready (or didn’t have one!) with and without gelatin or liqueur.

21 RavieNomNoms June 3, 2011 at 10:54 am

Oh my goodness! The color is just fantastic!! Thanks so much for sharing this

22 Jenny Flake June 3, 2011 at 11:12 am

Look at that gorgeous color. I would have this eaten in seconds :) Lovely!!

23 Parsley Sage June 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Lovely sorbet. Just what we need to help us survive the heat wave that’s currently ruining my lawn! Thanks for sharing :)

24 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Ugh, I’m sorry to hear about the heat. Let’s hope you (and your lawn) get some relief soon.

25 Michelle @ Brown Eyed Baker June 3, 2011 at 11:33 am

This looks beautiful! So easy and fresh!

26 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

Oh yum! I’m on the lookout for good recipes to try so thanks for this! Just got an ice cream maker so I need to get to work haha.

27 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Have fun with that ice cream maker. You’re going to be hooked!

28 Jodi@Garlic Girl June 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm

You know I love this one! And of course you know I’m going to ask if we can post to our California strawberry pages! Love your recipes Dara – and the photo is beautiful.
Jodi

29 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Yes, you can post it. Thanks!

30 Sukaina June 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I could do with a scoop of this (or two) as temps have soared to 40 degrees centi here…..and boy is it humid! Looks great Dara- look forward to seeing everyone’s appetiser recipes next week!

31 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) June 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Wow, is that ever warm! I hope things cool down for you, Sukaina. I’m excited to see everyone’s appetizer recipes, too. Our Get Grillin’ event should be fun!

32 Shannon June 3, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Oh wow! I’ve been looking for sorbet recipes and I think I just found my first one to try. I just got an ice cream maker for Mother’s Day and it’s still sitting in the box. It’s definitely time to get it out and start making yummy desserts like this one!!

33 Tracy June 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I love strawberry sorbet! It’s time to get out the ice cream maker. :-)

34 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Wow! This sorbet looks fantastic right about now!! and I love your super cute dainty spoons!

35 megan {a dash of megnut} June 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm

i love how there’s so few ingredients in sorbet. absolutely love the color of the strawberries as well! great recipe and pictures!

36 Belinda @zomppa June 3, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I really think I just want to sneak into your backyard and have you adopt me for a night (or two).

37 Donna June 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Wow. Must now dig out my ice cream maker!

38 guava June 3, 2011 at 5:54 pm

It’s a beautiful, warm and sunny day here on the West coast and this looks very inviting. In fact I can almost taste it just looking at the luscious pictures.

39 Lori @ RecipeGirl June 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I’ll eat this just because it’s beautiful! Gorgeous, in fact!

40 Delishhh June 3, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Just gorgeous. When you make sorbet without alcohol does it not become more like a frozen brick for you when you leave it in the freezer for a few days? If not what is the trick? I always use alcohol and it does not do that, if i do not use alcohol i get a frozen brick.

41 Drick June 4, 2011 at 6:22 am

don’t think you can get a cleaner taste than a sorbet… Dara your strawberry one is so vividly red, so inviting, makes me want a bowl for breakfast…

42 Marly June 4, 2011 at 8:18 am

Beautiful and delicious! Love these strawberries…makes me want to dive right in and make this myself!

43 Medifast Coupon June 4, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Great strawberry sorbet recipe, look very forward to trying!

44 Suzanne June 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm

So pretty and simple too a must try recipe

45 Amy | She Wears Many Hats June 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Oh wow! This looks delish and the color is phenomenal!

46 Nichol June 10, 2011 at 6:48 am

I have never made sorbet, this sounds really easy. Gonna give it a go this weekend, for my birthday celebration, thanks!

47 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen June 23, 2011 at 8:43 am

The weather has finally warmed up here in WY and this looks like a great dessert for this warm weather!

48 Mike@The Culinary Lens June 29, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Incredibly simple recipe. I love the photographs. Thank you for posting this on my “Lady in The Window” thread. I could actually see her leaning there eating this.

49 Carol July 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I made your recipe a few days ago and it is so refreshing and delicious. I chilled the mixture overnight and then processed in my Cuisanart ice cream maker and it was perfect. It froze to a firm stage quite well, I think because the mixture was so well chilled. At least that is what I have experienced in using this particular ice cream maker. I thought it was slightly more tart than I preferred at first, but after it was in the freezer a couple of days, the tartness wasn’t so obvious. Beautiful bright red color. I had a friend over yesterday to quilt and we had some before she went home. And I had some tiny teaspoons to use as well! So refreshing as we have had many days of temps over 100 degrees. She loved it and think she is now in the market for an ice cream machine!

50 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) July 17, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Carol, thanks so much for letting me know. I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Of course, if you’d prefer your sorbet with a little less tartness, reduce the lemon juice by a tablespoon or two.

51 the wicked noodle July 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

Just what I’m in the mood for :-)