Sep 14
2012

Pink Grapefruit Greyhound Cocktail Recipe

Pink Grapefruit Greyhound Cocktail Recipe

My early 20s were filled with all sorts of adventures…backpacking through Europe, bungee-jumping (twice – apparently I didn’t learn my lesson the first time), moving to a new country. However, there was one area where I didn’t veer far from my comfort zone. Cocktails. Sure, I tried the occasional “different” shot when out with my friends (remember Melon Balls and Dr. Peppers), but when it came to slow-sipping, I always came back to my favorites, which were Kamikazes, Caesars (the Canadian Bloody Mary) and Greyhounds (tart with grapefruit juice).

Do you notice the common theme? Yep, vodka. Clearly that’s because I’m a complete wimp when it comes to hard alcohol. When I first tried whiskey, I coughed and wheezed as though I’d climbed 1000 stairs. Tequila shots? As soon as they’re mentioned, I hastily disappear (you’ll find me by the guacamole bowl). Gin and tonic? Hell no. We will save those for the Englishmen in the Caribbean. The thing about vodka is that the taste is muted by the other cocktail ingredients. Well, unless you’re a very heavy pourer.

Despite my decidedly wimpy nature when it comes to cocktails, I can’t help but be intrigued whenever I visit Barb Kiebel’s site, Creative Culinary. A year ago, Barb kicked off her series, The Friday Cocktail, and proceeded to whet our whistles with her innovative cocktails and the intriguing stories that go along with them. Now she’s celebrating the one year anniversary with a virtual cocktail party. Head over to Creative Culinary to peruse the cocktail creations from many bloggers around the web. Maybe I’ll even step up to the plate and try something new.

Pink Grapefruit Greyhound Cocktail Recipe

Pink Grapefruit Greyhound Cocktail Recipe

Other simple cocktails with vodka:

VodkaCocktailCollage
Cookin’ Canuck’s The Caesar Cocktail, aka the Canadian Bloody Mary
Cookin’ Canuck’s Kamikaze Cocktail or Shot
Cookin’ Canuck’s Watermelon Limeade Vodka Cocktail
Creative Culinary’s Lavendar Lemonade Martini
My Baking Addiction’s Stoli Doli (Pineapple!)
Snappy Gourmet’s Blackberry Vodka Sangria

Pink Grapefruit Greyhound Cocktail

From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
Serves: 2 cocktails
Ingredients
  • 12 oz. fresh pink grapefruit juice (I used 5 LARGE grapefruits)
  • 6 oz. vodka
  • 2 (or more) tsp agave nectar
  • Ice
  • Lime wedges (garnish)
Instructions
  1. Cut pink grapefruits in half and squeeze the juice into a fine-mesh sieve set over a large pitcher. Push down on the pulp in the sieve to release all of the juice.
  2. Fill two Collins glasses with ice cubes. To each glass, add 3 ounces of vodka, 6 ounces of pink grapefruit juice and 1 teaspoon of agave nectar. Stir well, garnish with a lime wedge and serve. If you prefer your cocktail to be a little sweeter, add additional agave nectar.
  3. Serve them up!

1 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl September 14, 2012 at 7:13 am

Love grapefruit juice and lime combo- yum!

2 kelley September 14, 2012 at 7:49 am

CI, unlike you, was and still am a huge fan of whiskey and tequila. What can I say? While you’re hiding by the guacamole, I’ll be the one taking shots. Cheers!!

3 Heidi @foodiecrush September 14, 2012 at 9:05 am

I love me a good vodka drink, and of course sharing it with you would only be the icing on the cocktail cake. I’ve got to try those Caesars too! XO clink clink

4 Cathy @ Noble Pig September 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

I am cracking up at the Kamikaze reference, I haven’t thought about those in years! Oh my the old days. This looks like one to try!

5 Joan September 14, 2012 at 9:34 am

Lucky you! You can have grapefruit juice. I am taking a medication that doesn’t work if you eat/drink or otherwise ingest grapefruit. Boy, I miss grapefruit. I’d try this in a New York minute otherwise.

6 Allison C September 14, 2012 at 10:55 am

Do you know how many grapefruits you had to squeeze to get 12oz? Just want an approx number to work off of. This sounds super tasty right now, but will have to wait a few more hours.

7 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) September 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Sorry about that, Allison. I meant to include that information. I used 5 LARGE pink grapefruits.

8 Sarah @ Will Run for Pasta September 14, 2012 at 11:37 am

I love pink grapefruit so this sounds delicious!

Bungee-jumping is on my list of 35 things to do this year before I turn 35… might take me another 9 months to work up the courage but knowing you have done it is giving me hope :D

9 Holly September 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

Hi, I am visiting from Barb’s Friday Cocktail celebration where I was lucky enough to join the fantastic group of bloggers who shared cocktails today. Your cocktail is beautiful and the photo simply gorgeous. I’m looking forward to enjoying much more from your site. Holly

10 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) September 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks, Holly! I hope you come back to visit.

11 Annalise September 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Yum! This is totally my kind of cocktail. I’m kinda a wimp too, and you can’t go wrong with vodka! I think this drink mixed with a little Campari to enhance the grapefruit flavor would be spectacular. Happy Friday, cheers!

12 Rachel September 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I love greyhounds! They were one of my first favorite drinks! Have you had a seabreeze? It’s basically a greyhound with a splash of cranberry juice. That is my favorite drink! Along with whiskey and ginger ale! What can I say? I’m a whiskey girl! (But like you, I’d pass on the tequila! YUCK!)

13 Karen Harris September 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm

So funny, I really considered posting a Kamakazi for Barb’s party but the B-52 won out in the end. Love greyhounds too. You are a girl after my own heart. Cheers!

14 Anna @ hiddenponies September 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Pink grapefruit is one of my favourite flavours…this looks perfect!

15 Barbara | Creative Culinary September 15, 2012 at 6:10 am

Thanks so much for joining the party Dara and you’ve brought a great drink to the table. I can do this for breakfast right…after all, it has fruit juice in it!

16 addie @ culicurious September 15, 2012 at 7:37 am

This looks so tasty and refreshing!! :)

17 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. September 15, 2012 at 8:53 am

heavens! This is on my cocktail to do list

18 Becky at Vintage Mixer September 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Can’t wait to try this one. I’m a huge grapefruit juice fan!!

19 MikeVFMK September 19, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Love greyhounds and used to make more than I care to count in my days as a bartender. But adding pink grapefruit? Yes! I could make and drink my share of those. Lovely, Dara!