Dec 3
2012

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes by Cookin' Canuck
Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes are easy and fun to make with the kids. Plus, they make wonderful holiday gifts for friends and neighbors.

I tend to get a little sentimental during the holidays, and this weekend was no exception. As my boys diligently dipped pretzels into melted chocolate and sprinkled them with crushed candy canes, I watched them and listened to their sometimes-serious, sometimes-silly commentary…and felt overwhelmed. As each year passes, I become acutely aware of how quickly they are growing up and that I need to do a better job of being present in each moment I have with them.

Last year we made Chocolate Marshmallow Pops Three Ways, and I marveled at the boys concentration as they attempted to make each pop “just so”.

Marshmallow Pops Collage
Chocolate Marshmallow Pops Three Ways: Candy Cane, Heath Bar & Coconut

They had such a good time with the project that I decided we would designate “treat-making for the neighbors” an annual event. This year, the boys melted the chocolate, crushed the candy canes and set about dipping and decorating the pretzels, with only a little supervision from me. Once we make a few more batches, we’ll package them in holiday bags, adorn them with ribbon and tags, and the boys will set off to proudly deliver the fruits of their labor to our neighbors.

My hope is that this tradition will be a fond memory for them in years to come, and something that they might decide to carry on with their children.

Whenever we delve into holiday baking, I am grateful for my kitchen drawers full of OXO baking tools. I love OXO for a couple of reasons. First of all, their tools are top-notch…reliable, comfortable to use and simply the best I’ve found. However, it is their affiliation with Cookies for Kids’ Cancer that really impresses me. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a nonprofit organization dedicated to raising fund for pediatric cancer research. OXO developed the “Good Cookie” Spatula and, in 2012, the sales of this spatula helped raise more than $250,000 for the organization.

Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper.

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes
OXO tools seen here: Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl (with a non-slip bottom!), Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons, Stainless Steel Measuring Cups, Small Spatula Seen in top photo: Cupcake Icing Knife

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes
Other OXO tools seen here: 9″ whisk and Medium Spoon Spatula

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes

And what did the boys think of their creations? Well, let’s just say that they begged me to sneak some chocolate covered pretzels into their lunch boxes this morning.

Chocolate Covered Pretzels Recipe with Crushed Candy Canes

Ingredients
  • 4 regular-sized candy canes
  • 12 oz. (about 1¾ cups) bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp shortening
  • Approximately 36 twist pretzels
Instructions
  1. Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper.
  2. Place the unwrapped candy canes in a large ziploc bag. Pound with a mallet until the candy canes are broken into small pieces.
  3. Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe glass bowl. In the microwave, melt the chocolate at 50% power, stirring every 20 to 30 seconds, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
  4. Dip one pretzel into the melted chocolate. Using a thin skewer or toothpick, flip over the pretzel to coat it completely, then lift it out and lay it on the prepared baking sheet.
  5. Immediately sprinkle some candy cane pieces onto the pretzel. Repeat with the remaining pretzels. If the chocolate begins too thicken, re-melt it in the microwave for an additional 20 to 30 seconds.
  6. Place the baking sheets in the refrigerator to allow the chocolate to harden. Serve, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, using waxed paper to separate the layers.

Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by OXO. Regardless of sponsorship, OXO tools are simply my favorite to work with in the kitchen.

1 Blog is the New Black December 3, 2012 at 6:36 am

I made these last year with white chocolate- SO ADDICTING!

2 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl December 3, 2012 at 7:04 am

I am such a sucker for chocolate covered pretzels!! I can’t wait until my little guy is old enough to make these. :-)

3 Rachel Cooks December 3, 2012 at 7:07 am

Love the salty sweet combo. These look so fantastic!

4 marla December 3, 2012 at 7:12 am

It really is amazing how much they have grown in one year. Such sweet boys Dara!

5 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective December 3, 2012 at 7:13 am

Dara, as fabulous as all your healthy recipes are, I love it when you get a little naughty around the holidays! ;)

This sounds perfect.

6 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes December 3, 2012 at 7:49 am

What a fun tradition. A great way to spend time with your boys.

7 Cookbook Queen December 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

This is such a fun treat to make with the kids…and perfect for packaging up to take to neighbors!! Plus it looks yummy…so I could eat a lot of them too ;)

8 Karly December 3, 2012 at 9:24 am

What a fun treat for the kids to make!

9 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious December 3, 2012 at 10:26 am

Great idea, we also deliver treats to the neighbours..usually cookies but your inspiring me to try something different! Have a great week :)

10 Meagan @ A Zesty Bite December 3, 2012 at 10:38 am

Anything covered in chocolate is always a big hit with my hungry stomach.

11 Raquel (Thoughtful Eating) December 3, 2012 at 10:41 am

I just died! This is TERRIFIC! Why didn’t I think of this? It makes so much sense especially for the holidays. I love your recipes (your chipotle black bean soup is in my slow cooker as we speak) and I’m very tempted to make this one soon.

12 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet December 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

Such a fabulous treat! I love holiday baking with my girls! It really makes for special memories!

13 Cassie | Bake Your Day December 3, 2012 at 11:57 am

Chocolate covered pretzels are always a must for my holiday baking. And I love teh candy canes on these! I love OXO, too. They are a great organization!

14 Pam December 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I make a variation of these every year for friends and family and they are a huge hit! I am definately going to make your version with the peppermint. Can’t wait to see the reaction! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes with us!

15 Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen December 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm

You know the way to my heart!!

16 Aggie December 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Oh Dara – love these!! My kids would really enjoy making these for their teachers and our neighbors. Thanks for the great idea!!

17 Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm

These are so cute, Dara! I can never say no to the salty-sweet combo.

18 Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen December 3, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I love the tradition of a bake for the neighbors day! And by next year, I think my daughter will be old enough to help…

Those pictures of your boys helping in the kitchen are priceless.

19 Elizabeth @Food Ramblings December 3, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Love the peppermint added to the salty and sweet. Love OXO and my be a good cookie spatula!

20 carrian December 3, 2012 at 6:09 pm

We had the same weekend. :( I felt like time is just slipping by too fast. Am I taking enough time to love on these kiddos? I know each stage is lovely in it’s own way, but still. waaaah!!

21 Maureen December 3, 2012 at 6:48 pm

These look so yummy! They would also make a nice little dessert when bringing a meal to friend or family member in need this season. Thanks for sharing!

22 Spencer December 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Looks awesome! I reckon I could eat about 100 of them!

23 Carrie | La Pomme de Portland December 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm

OH my…. I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe to make with my kiddos. Great idea! Thanks for sharing Dara!!

24 Annalise December 4, 2012 at 4:22 pm

These look simple and so tasty – a perfect combo for the holidays!

25 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking December 4, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I love the sweet and salty combo and what a great tradition to pass on. I love baking with my wee one and I hope when she grows she’ll be baking with her kids as well

26 Asiya December 4, 2012 at 9:41 pm

What a super easy treat! Great way to get the kids involved!

27 brandi December 7, 2012 at 7:23 am

this is one of my favorite holiday treats to make! they’re so easy and such a pretty treat to give to friends and family

28 Donna December 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Mt four year old granddaughter is coming for Christmas – can’t wait to make these with her!