Dec 28
2012

Grilled Pear, Goat Cheese & Prosciutto Crostini Recipe

Grilled Pear, Goat Cheese & Prosciutto Crostini Recipe by Cookin' Canuck
An easy New Year’s Eve crostini appetizer, with grilled pears, goat cheese, prosciutto and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

This is always a bittersweet time of year for us. We’re experiencing the post-Christmas blues after saying good-bye to my parents and in-laws, and reminiscing about plenty of silly moments. At the same time, we look forward to our annual New Year’s Eve fondue feast and the start of a new year, with a fresh page on which to etch new memories.

This past year was filled with personal accomplishments, as well as challenges. We were so proud of my husband when he completed his Master’s degree (a reason to crack open a beer or two) and it was a thrill for me to run my first marathon while my husband completed his tenth. Once again, he clinched a spot in the Boston Marathon and we can’t wait to cheer him on in April.

It wasn’t only my husband and I who pounded the pavement. Our boys completed their first 5k race , which is what inspired this collage that we used for our Christmas card.

Running Collage

This year also marked a change in eating and exercise habits for me, culminating in a loss of 30 pounds (see My Health and Weight Loss Journey). Not only did the experience change the recipes I post here (well, except for the burst of holiday treats), but it also effected how I feel about myself everyday, the size of my energy reserves and how I face daily challenges.

Did everything that happened in 2012 paint a perfect picture? Of course not. But I can tell you that I am beyond grateful for so many things…my supportive husband, my boys (who steal my heart every day), my parents and in-laws, my friends and all of you. Thank you for your faithful readership and for returning again and again, trusting me to give you recipes that you can make for your own family and friends. I love writing this blog, and it is deeply satisfying to know how many people enjoy the recipes I dream up.

Now let’s move on to a recipe that is perfect for your New Year’s Eve celebration. A box of beautiful Harry & David pears inspired this simple crostini. (This post is not sponsored by Harry & David. I just really dig their pears.) After a quick turn around the grill pan, this pears are layered on pieces of toasted baguette, along with goat cheese, prosciutto and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Salt, sweet, tang, crunch. This appetizer has it all. And it comes together in a matter of minutes, leaving you more time to mingle with other New Year’s Eve revelers.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grilled Pear, Goat Cheese & Prosciutto Crostini Recipe

Grilled Pear, Goat Cheese & Prosciutto Crostini Recipe by Cookin' Canuck

Drizzle 2 to 3 drops of balsamic vinegar over each pear slice. Serve.

Other crostini recipe ideas:

Crostini Collage
Cookin’ Canuck’s Strawberry, Brie Cheese, Honey & Basil Crostini
Cookin’ Canuck’s Crostini with Balsamic Caramelized Onions, Melted Cheese & Sage
Foodiecrush’s Fig Spread & Cheese Crostini
Reluctant Entertainer’s Roasted Red Grapes & Rosemary Crostini
Closet Cooking’s Shiitake Mushroom & Blue Cheese Crostini

Grilled Pear, Goat Cheese & Prosciutto Crostini Recipe

Yield: Makes 12 crostini

From the kitchen of Cookin' Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com

Ingredients

• 12 baguette slices
  • 1 pear, cut into 12 slices
  • 2 oz. goat cheese, room temperature
  • 6 slices prosciutto, cut in half crosswise
  • High-quality balsamic vinegar

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the oven until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes.
  3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the pear slices until the pear is just starting to soften, about 1 minutes per side.
  4. Spread some goat cheese on each baguette slice, then top each with a piece of prosciutto and a slice of pear.
  5. Drizzle 2 to 3 drops of balsamic vinegar over each pear slice. Serve.

1 Traci December 28, 2012 at 7:21 am

This crostini looks absolutely delicious. I feel the same way about post holidays as well. It’s such a letdown, but made worse by freezing cold temperatures. :)

2 Kate@Diethood December 28, 2012 at 8:18 am

30 pounds – that is so great!! Congrats! And you look that good while running?! You are absolutely beautiful!

The crostini sounds so, so good… how do you stop at one? or ten?! :-D

3 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen December 28, 2012 at 8:38 am

Amazing family of runners you are! Congratulations on your 30 pounds also! And these crostini are perfect, give me goat cheese and pears and I´m happy. Have a great beginning of 2013!

4 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. December 28, 2012 at 11:06 am

looks great Dara! Happy New Year!

5 carrian December 28, 2012 at 11:29 am

That crostini looks heavenly!

6 Carol December 28, 2012 at 1:12 pm

The crostini look wonderful – a must- try recipe! Thanks for your always upbeat and interesting posts. Happy New Year to you and your family!

7 Karly December 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Ooh, what a perfect New Year’s Eve appetizer! Love this.

8 addie | culicurious December 28, 2012 at 4:20 pm

What a great little appetizer or snack. :) happy new year to you and your family!

9 Liz December 28, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Mmmmmm….what a simple, delicious appetizer! I’d rather eat a few of these than any dinner entree!!! Happy New Year, Dara!

10 Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas December 28, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I love those Harry & David pears too! Get them every Christmas.

11 Natalie December 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Another great NYE appetizer. I am obsessed with prosciutto!

12 Jeanette December 28, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Enjoyed reading your recap of this past year – such a year of family accomplishments! Love your appetizer idea for New Years! Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday season and all the best in the New Year.

13 Bev @ Bev Cooks December 29, 2012 at 11:31 am

Ohhhhhh my heart. It hurts. In the best way. I love this.

14 Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily December 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm

This sounds like my perfect treat! I really need to kick it into gear myself. I’ve been a big slacker for a few months now, since before we moved and the Holidays took over my will power. Great big congrats to your health!

15 Aggie December 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I can’t tell you enough how much I love these crostini! Sweet and salty…and goat cheese! Totally perfect.

Happy New Year to you my friend – I’m so happy we were able to take such a great trip together this year, loved our time together, here’s to an awesome 2013! xoxo

16 Dara @how_to_eat December 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Congrats on all your accomplishments! It’s so fantastic you and your husband run together. Mine has recently started…just bought his first winter running outfit!
These crostini look like the perfect way to ring in the new year!

17 Kari December 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I just started following your blog this year and am loving your delcious and healthy recipes! Thanks.

18 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 30, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Thank you, Kari. I’m so glad you found my blog.

19 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious December 30, 2012 at 8:31 am

Hey we are having a new years eve fondue party too!! I hope you have an awesome time and a great 2013 Dara!!

20 Laura (Tutti Dolci) December 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I’m loving these crostini, especially the grilled pear!

21 Jen @ Savory Simple January 1, 2013 at 6:38 am

Definitely serving this at my next party. Happy New Year, Dara!!!