Who says that quesadillas are just about beans and cheese?! This vegetarian version is packed with grilled vegetables and avocados. Thank you to the California Avocados for helping me to share this recipe with you.
My knowledge of quesadillas used to be defined by the kids’ menu at our local Mexican restaurant. Will that be cheese, or beans and cheese?
I can’t remember the exact quesadilla experience that turned me into the kind of person who throws every available fruit, vegetable , meat or leftover morsel into a tortilla. However, I can tell you that as I logged more hours in the kitchen, I quickly learned that quesadillas can take on almost any flavor profile. They are like the pizza of the Tex Mex world, but with a penchant for straying from those Tex Mex roots.
Some of my favorite quesadilla concoctions have been Mini Avocado & Hummus Quesadillas, Asian Quesadillas with Chicken & Hoisin Sauce and Lemon & Dill Shrimp Quesadillas – all a far cry from their bean and cheese cousins!
We are now fully entrenched in the season of creamy, flavorful California Avocados, and we can’t resist throwing them into every salad and entree, Mexican-inspired or otherwise, that comes out of our kitchen. And that doesn’t count the avocados that we eat straight with a spoon and sprinkled with a little salt. A couple of the avocado recipes my family is smitten with lately are the Asian Meatball & Avocado Flatbread Sandwiches and Cumin Orange Shrimp-Stuffed Cucumber Boats. Besides their amazing taste, you just can’t beat the health benefits of avocados, too – potassium, heart-healthy fats, fiber and Vitamin C, to name a few.
To fuel my grilling fire and satisfy my seasonal lust for all-things-zucchini-and-avocado, I turned to a vegetarian quesadilla, piled with grilled veggies, slices of California Avocado, cheese (of course!) and basil.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 low-carb whole wheat tortillas
- 1 California avocado, sliced
- 8 leaves basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Lightly brush with oil.
- Cut the zucchini in half crosswise and then slice lengthwise into ¼-thick pieces.
- Place the zucchini into a bowl with the red bell pepper. Toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper until coated.
- Grill the zucchini and peppers until tender, about 2 minutes per side for the zucchini and 3 to 4 minutes per side for the peppers. Slice the peppers into strips.
- Arrange 2 tablespoons mozzarella on half of each tortilla. Top with the grilled vegetables, avocado and basil. Fold over the tortillas.
- Grill the quesadillas until the cheese is melted and the tortillas have grill marks, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Cut into wedges. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!