Aug 5
2009

Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad Recipe

Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad

My crookneck squash was begging to have its pictures taken.  Who am I to deny a squash its 15 minutes of fame?

It’s a miracle that we even have vegetables to harvest this year.  We were feeling rather pleased with ourselves when we planted all of our vegetable seeds in the Spring and set them near a window to take in the warmth of the sunlight.
Birds chirping…Spring breeze whispering through the Aspen leaves…vegetable sprouts dying a slow death.
That’s right…we forgot to water them.  It’s amazing that we managed to graduate from university.  However, we do take much better care of our children than we do our vegetable sprouts.  We water them several times per day.  With summer just around the corner, we made a trip to the nursery, heads hanging low, to buy some established vegetable plants to fill the beautiful raised bed that my husband built.  All is well that ends well.
Preheat a grill to high heat.
Cut 2 crookneck or yellow summer squash, 1 medium-sized zucchini, and 1 Japanese eggplant into 1/2-inch slices.  Feel free to use any combination of summer vegetables that tickle your fancy.

Place all of the slices in a medium bowl and toss with 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, slowly whisk 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil into 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Thinly slice about a dozen each of basil and mint leaves. Toss with the vegetables. Top with 1/3 cup of crumbled, good-quality feta cheese. I found a lovely sheep’s milk feta that added a creamy, slightly tangy flavor without overpowering the vegetables.

Serve at room temperature.

Other summer squash recipes:
101 Cookbooks’ Summer Squash Gratin
Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad
2 crookneck or yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 Japanese eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
12 basil leaves, chiffonaded (rolled, then thinly sliced)
12 mint leave, chiffonaded
1/3 cup crumbled, good-quality feta cheese
Preheat a grill to high heat.
Combine the crookneck or yellow squash, zucchini, and eggplant slices in a medium bowl and toss with 1/3 cup olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.
Place the vegetable slices on the hot grill and cook until the vegetables are just tender, turning once.  Remove the vegetables from the grill, cut them into 1-inch pieces, and place in a medium-sized bowl.

In a small bowl, slowly whisk 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil into balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.  Toss the vegetables with some of the vinaigrette. You shouldn’t need all of it, but add to your taste.

Thinly slice about a dozen each of basil and mint leaves. Toss with the vegetables. Top with feta cheese.  Serve at room temperature.

Serves 4 as a side dish.

1 MrsLavendula August 5, 2009 at 5:21 am

grilled veggies are a favorite of mine! your nice photos made me want to get some!! i particularly love them in lasagna with tons of cheese!

2 Scandalous Candice August 5, 2009 at 12:51 pm

God that looks really good. I love squash.

3 Miranda August 5, 2009 at 12:56 pm

This looks so good. I love Feta!!
My hubby and I are trying to eat healthier and this looks like a perfect salad.

By the way, thank you so much for the wonderful advice. I am totally going to hid some toys..LOL

What is your email? I want to email you my info so you can guest blog…If you are still up to it!

4 Jessie August 5, 2009 at 12:57 pm

ohhh this looks hearty and delicious. I love grilled veggies during the summer, something about it that is so satisfying!

5 Kriskishere August 5, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Yum! Anything involving squash and feta is good in my book. Your garden is beautiful by the way :)

6 Barbara Bakes August 5, 2009 at 2:14 pm

What a great way to use your garden veggies!

7 Alta August 5, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I am jealous of that raised bed garden! It looks so nice. I built one this year (smaller than yours) but it's not as pretty. And not big enough, I've found out.
This veggie dish looks lovely!

8 CaptnRachel aka Tha Pizza Cutta August 5, 2009 at 2:32 pm

God I wish I had a grill! Living in a condo does have drawbacks..oh, and yea, I really want to make this salad :D

9 Kalyn August 5, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Sounds good! I never can get organized enough to plant seeds; I buy almost all my veggies as plants.

10 Diana Bauman August 5, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I just love grilled veggies, even better when they come out of your own garden!!

11 Cathy August 5, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Oh Yum thanks! I'm saving this cause I'm still singing to my squash. Sun has been a scarce comodity on the Oregon coast this summer due to high temps inland. I have faith tho. I believe. I save recipes :).

12 Cooking Mama August 5, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Can I come over and have some? :) That looks so pretty and delish.

13 applecrumbles August 5, 2009 at 7:02 pm

great salad. good ingredients. it's a keeper!

14 Danielle August 5, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Oooohhhh myyyyyyy this looks so good! This is sooo going to be my lunch tomorrow! I have all the ingredients!

15 Kevin August 5, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Nice way to enjoy the summer vegetables. Grilling them brings out their flavour!

16 Debi (Table Talk) August 6, 2009 at 12:24 am

This is a summer staple in our house–I usually add a red bell pepper and portabello to the mix. I'm not much of a gardener either, but its fun to try, right?

17 Chef Fresco August 6, 2009 at 1:08 am

Yumm! And straight from the garden?! Grilled to perfection I'd say!

18 Cookin' Canuck August 6, 2009 at 3:25 am

Thanks for all your comments. Sorry that I have been negligent about responding today.

MrsLavendula, almost anything tastes great with cheese, doesn't it?

Miranda, good luck on your long journey.

Alta, I have become rather greedy about garden space. I am already demanding another raised planter or two.

Kalyn, except for the fact that my kids love to plant seeds, I am leaning towards buying all established plants next year.

Cathy, hopefully that means that you'll be able to enjoy your veggies well into September.

Danielle, I hope you enjoy it.

Debi, portabello mushrooms sound delicious.

19 mathildescuisine August 6, 2009 at 8:46 am

Your recipe is a must! You've used all my favourite ingredients; I love it!

Congrats' for the Top 9, you deserve it

20 Ruth August 6, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Thats the sort of thing I could eat all summer and never ever get fed up with it! Yum!

21 Krissy @ The Food Addicts August 6, 2009 at 6:49 pm

That is awesome! I have the same squash in my garden, as well as zucchini and eggplant. I should totally make this summer salad. So refreshing and organic!!

22 Elizabeth August 6, 2009 at 8:46 pm

This looks fantastic! I absolutely adore summer vegetables. What a wonderful way to celebrate the flavors of the season!

23 HannahBanana aka Amanda August 7, 2009 at 3:00 am

Beautiful salad, and an amazing way to use squash. The feta really hits it home!

24 Liz Marr, MS, RD August 7, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Beautiful. Makes me sad I didn't plant squash this year.

25 Sue August 8, 2009 at 8:00 pm

HaHaHa, I have friends who planted a Tomato plant..and decided if it survived they could think that aybe they might be able to raise children. Suffice it to say…they don;t have any kids…or Tomaots!!!

This looks amazing…will try it soon…the garden is bulging nicely…

26 Zoltaker August 10, 2009 at 5:14 am

Eating healthy and deliciously need not be mutually exclusive. Vegetables have a lot of inert flavor in them that you can let out if you cook them right like grilling. That said, there are lots of ways to cook veggies deliciously! Try other vegetable recipes at tanya's site, I liked them!

27 heidileon August 11, 2009 at 3:24 am

just perfect, the kind of recipe that goes just SO well with everything, either a pasta, grilled fish or chicken. Mmmm summer at it's best!

28 Family Cuisine Food And Recipe August 11, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Thank you very much for sharing. Cheers !

29 Lizz August 12, 2009 at 12:17 am

Thanks for the recipe this looks fantastic!

30 Victor Yu August 13, 2009 at 11:42 pm

There is a restaurant I go very often and usually I take their grilled veggies sandwich, and I always wondered what sauce they put in it, the owner "refuses" to give out their recipe, just saying that it is a secret sauce. I'll try this one if the taste matches.