Aug 22
2009

Thai Cucumber Salad Recipe

Thai Cucumber Salad

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am in Vancouver for my 20th high school reunion. We are staying with my dear friend, J., and her family. J. and I have been friends since we were nine, which means there aren’t a lot of things that we don’t know about each other. We shared many firsts together – first crushes, first dances, first drags on a cigarette (“Look, look – am I inhaling?”), first heartbreaks… Our friendship is 29 years old and counting, and I consider her my sister. Besides my family, there is no one else that can make me cry at a drop of a hat during sorrowful times or feel elated during joyful ones. In short, she’s pretty amazing!

Over the years, one of the interests we shared is cooking and consuming good food. While living in Australia for a period, J had the opportunity to take some cooking classes. This recipe came from her Thai cooking class. It has become a family favorite and I am so glad to finally be in possession of this recipe and to be able to pass it on to you.

Peel 1-inch strips, alternating with unpeeled strips, on an English/European cucumber. This is purely for aesthetic purposes. Doesn’t it look purty?

In a small bowl, pour 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce. Fish sauce can be found in Asian markets and most well-stocked supermarkets. I know it’s a little stinky but, trust me, it will all work out in the end.

Add 1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar and 1 tbsp sugar.

Stir well, until the sugar is dissolved. Typically, my friend would add one minced red chili to the dressing. Since we didn’t have a red chili, we added 1/2 teaspoon of dried red chile flakes. You still get the heat, but not the beautiful color of the fresh chili.

Just before serving, toss the cucumber and onion mixture with the dressing.

Top the salad with 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro and 3 tbsp crushed peanuts. Toss well and serve.

Other cucumber recipes:
Thai Cucumber Salad
1 English/European cucumber
1/2 small red onion, cut into half-moon slices
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 red chili, minced or 1/2 tsp crushed red chile flakes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbsp crushed peanuts
Peel 1-inch strips, alternating with unpeeled strips, on an English/European cucumber. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and then in 1/4-inch slices, on the diagonal. Place the cucumber slices in a serving dish, along with half-moon slice from half of a red onion.
In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. Stir well until the sugar is dissolved. Add the red chili or dried chile flakes. Just before serving, toss the cucumber and onion mixture with the dressing. Top the salad with the chopped cilantro and crushed peanuts. Toss well and serve.
Serves 4.

1 Angie's Recipes August 22, 2009 at 11:43 am

Thai salad is the best for the summer time. Love so much nuts on top.

Angie's Recipes

2 Kalyn August 22, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Wow, love the sound of this one. I'd just use Splenda and it would be perfect for me. (Been meaning to look for Three Crabs Fish Sauce, which my friend Lydia says is the BEST!)

3 Angelia McGowan August 22, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Oh, I love cucumber salads, and that one looks so good! I love peanuts too, I am so sorry for all those poor people with peanut allergies, peanuts are my chocolate!

4 Jenn August 22, 2009 at 6:07 pm

That's great that you've had a friendship that's last that long. One of my closest and I have been friends for a good 18 years and we've been through a lot together.

Whenever I go out to a thai restaurant I always have thee cucumber salad. It just the way to make it with their special dressing that makes it taste so good. I definitely have to try this. I'm sure I'll love it, too.

5 Sue August 22, 2009 at 8:21 pm

Ohh..welcome to the big smoke! If you like t=Thai food you need to try Montri's on Broadway..east of Alma a bit.
The BEST Thai food outside of Thailand I think.
The "Barely seared prawn salad" is the best. need company? Give me a shout I'll be there in a heart beat LOL!
Have fun at the school.
Sue

6 spoonful August 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Yummm!! I usually get this when I go to thai places, but now i can make my own whenever i please. :) Thanks for this! Found you on foodbuzzzzzz

Spoonful

7 Bella August 23, 2009 at 2:59 am

I love Thai food and one of my special favorites is their cucumber salad. I actually like to collect cucumber salad recipes….just had some today in our fave Thai eatery. At the bottom of my "Italian" blog, you'll find a side bar section devoted to some Thai food blogs that I've found. I'm glad I found your blog and hope you stop by! ~ roz

8 Divina Pe, RHN August 23, 2009 at 8:22 am

Such a refreshing salad with a flavorful dressing. It's supposed to be rainy season in the Philippines but it's hot like a few months ago. This salad is going to cool us down. Thanks.

9 Divina Pe, RHN August 23, 2009 at 8:22 am

10 Family Cuisine Food And Recipe August 23, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Yummy ! Thank you for sharing. Cheers !

11 CheapAppetite August 24, 2009 at 5:59 am

Welcome back to Vancouver, cookin canuck:) Hope you have a great time here.
Cheers,
Tana

12 Elin August 25, 2009 at 6:05 am

What an appetizing salad! Thanks for sharing..simple and yet tasty :)

13 Jessie August 25, 2009 at 1:20 pm

I'm totally loving everything about this salad, not only it's refreshing but it is loaded with lots of spice and flavors

14 mathildescuisine August 25, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Your salad looks very good and refreshing. I will keep it in mind for next time

15 tastyeatsathome August 25, 2009 at 4:52 pm

Yummy and light! I love cucumber salads, and love fish sauce. It's one of my favorite pantry ingredients.

16 Jamie August 26, 2009 at 8:29 am

Love love love Asian-inspired salads like this. They are perfect eating all year round, but especially cool in the summer. And I just went to my 30th high school reunion, blast from the past, so you made me smile.

17 Chef Fresco August 26, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Delicious looking salad! I hope you had a fun vacation!

18 Crystal August 28, 2009 at 11:41 am

Great recipe. Sometimes I add a tbsp of sweet chili sauce as well.

19 Julie August 29, 2009 at 12:20 am

Well yum! I just finished something very similar.. I'm going to give this a try!

20 Simply Life August 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Yum! That looks like a delicious salad!

21 Joelen September 1, 2009 at 5:41 pm

So refreshing! What a great salad for the summer!

22 Luke September 8, 2009 at 3:07 pm

tasted a bit fishy for me….
next time I'll add way less fish sauce

23 Cookin' Canuck September 8, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Fair enough, Luke. Fish sauce is definitely an acquired taste. Start off with less – you can always add more later if you wish.