Mar 17
2010

Chicken & Broccoli Stir-Fry with Oyster Sauce Recipe

Chicken & Broccoli Stir-Fry with Oyster Sauce Recipe

While most recipe blogs are highlighting St. Patrick’s Day recipes, such as Corned Beef, Irish Soda Bread, and whiskey-laden desserts, I am still stuck on the Chinese Lunar New Year. What can I say? I like to move at my own pace. At this rate, my Easter recipes should be posted by August.

Several weeks ago, I wrote about the refreshing Mango and Lime Sorbet that my cooking group compatriots and I delighted in at the end of our Lunar New Year feast. One of the other dishes we made that afternoon was a stir-fried beef and broccoli dish, which used leafy, dark green Chinese broccoli. When I decided to make this for a quick weeknight dinner, however, there was neither beef nor Chinese broccoli to be found in my fridge. This versatile oyster sauce marinade works just as well with chicken and regular broccoli florets. The savory sauce lightly coats the chicken and broccoli and the whole dish comes together in less than 30 minutes. Take that, Rachael Ray!

In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 4 teaspoons oyster sauce, 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons sugar, 4 teaspoons rice wine or sake, and 2 teaspoons cornstarch.

Oyster sauce can be found in many well-stocked supermarkets and Asian markets.

Cut 2 large chicken breast halves (about 1 3/4 pounds) into 1-inch pieces. Mix the chicken pieces into the soy sauce mixture, stir to complete cover the chicken and let marinate for 15 minutes.

Cut broccoli into florets to equal about 3 cups.

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a wok or large saucepan set over high heat. Peel and thinly slice a 1-inch piece of fresh ginger. Add the ginger to the wok, stir-fry for 30 seconds then, using a slotted spoon, discard the ginger. What’s the point of cooking the ginger is you are just going to toss it? It flavors the oil. Cool, huh?

Add an additional tablespoon canola oil to the wok and stir-fry 1 tablespoon garlic for 30 seconds. Add the broccoli florets and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Pour in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oyster sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the wok and briefly cook, until heated through.

Garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

Other chicken stir-fry recipes:

2 tbsp canola oil, divided
2 large (1 3/4 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cups broccoli florets
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp oyster sauce
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish

Marinade:
In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, oyster sauce, pepper, sugar, rice wine or sake, and cornstarch. Mix the chicken pieces into the soy sauce mixture, stir to complete cover the chicken and let marinate for 15 minutes.

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a wok or large saucepan set over high heat. Add the ginger to the wok, stir-fry for 30 seconds then, using a slotted spoon, discard the ginger (this process will flavor the oil). Add the chicken and marinade to the wok and stir-fry until the chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.

Add an additional tablespoon canola oil to the wok and stir-fry garlic for 30 seconds. Add the broccoli florets and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Pour in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oyster sauce and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken back to the wok and briefly cook, until heated through. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

1 Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog March 17, 2010 at 4:31 am

Here I don't have St. Patrick's Day, so every type of delight is welcomed no matter the origin ;)
This chicken with oyster sauce is a gift for my palate, yumm!

Have a great week,

Gera

2 Christine March 17, 2010 at 4:34 am

Oh, love this stir-fry dish, it's my fav. Yummm….

I'm a fan of Lee Kum Kee, the leader of all brands of oyster sauce, very handy to use and add a kick in every stir-fry dish. I use the 舊庒 premium one, more expensive though. :P

3 Divina Pe March 17, 2010 at 6:27 am

This is always a favorite. But will try your version soon.

4 Tia March 17, 2010 at 6:52 am

yum. this here is my favorite food. broccoli. this stir fry for SP day is like fusion food shall we say?

5 MaryMoh March 17, 2010 at 9:04 am

Mmmm….delicious. I love this with rice. I love this brand of oyster sauce too.

6 pegasuslegend March 17, 2010 at 9:41 am

Oh wow what a great looking sauce for chicken! I love that glazed over look, must smell fabulous as well….A keeper for sure~ thanks

7 Jessica @ How Sweet March 17, 2010 at 10:55 am

Looks authentic! I love using Oyster sauce. Would love this for dinner tonight!

8 Michelle March 17, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I love Stir Fry, it's always a good, quick meal!

9 Danielle March 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Oyster sauce is one of my favorite Asian ingredients and I keep it on hand always. Nice stir-fry, Dara.

10 Kalyn March 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Oh yes. This is my kind of food! I just got a wok ring so I can stir-fry on my new stove; can't wait to try it (although I confess I'm scared I'll burn the food with the high heat.)

11 Claudia March 17, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Love stir-fry.Love chicken. Love Oyster Sauce. Win-win-win!

12 Biren March 17, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Stir fries are so versatile….. yours look delicious!

BTW, I really enjoy your blog and would like to share the Sunshine Award with you. Please check out my post at my blog under the Awards tab http://rotinrice.blogspot.com/p/awards.html

13 Tracy March 17, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Looks delicious!

14 Jenn March 17, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Delicious stir-fry. I was about to make something similar the other day, but I had run out of oyster sauce, so I need to get me a fresh bottle.

15 Bob March 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm

That looks awesome, stir fry is a good time. It's sad, considering how much Asian food I cook, but I've never used oyster sauce before. I need to get on that.

16 Stella March 17, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I've been meaning to buy a bottle of oyster sauce to make a more authentic stir fry. Now I'm going to for sure…

17 Fuji Mama March 17, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I LOVE stir-fries, especially being a mom (so EASY!). Love the look of this one!

18 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) March 18, 2010 at 2:56 am

Oyster sauce is one of the fundamental condiments in my kitchen. I use it in lots of dishes — including beef stew — to add both saltiness and body. I'm lucky to have access to several large Asian markets and all the varieties of leafy greens I could ever want!

19 Cookin' Canuck March 18, 2010 at 3:50 am

Thank you for all of your comments. Oyster sauce is a great way to add flavor to stir-fries.

20 citronetvanille March 18, 2010 at 6:13 am

sometimes you just need something quick and simple yet flavorful, quick should not necessary mean bland. I rarely use oyster sauce just because I rarely cook Asian food, but I agree it does enhance many dishes. Great dish.

21 Ruth March 18, 2010 at 7:49 am

Like the method. the flavouring of the oil, the pre cooking of the marinated chicken… Excellent indeed!!

22 Miranda March 18, 2010 at 12:52 pm

mmmh. I love stir fry
Especially chicken and broc. stir fries. It looks divine, as always!

23 Kajal - Aapplemint March 18, 2010 at 4:11 pm

What a lovely stir fry ! You can never have enough of these :)

24 Devaki March 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Dear Dara – Looks like you're the chosen one!!

I also have a itty bitty bighearted award for you THE SUNSHINE AWARD! Please do claim it by checking out my blog!

Ciao,

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

25 Alanna Kellogg March 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

This looks sooo much like the "one dish" I used to cook for company when I had my first apartment. Oh how simple it was then, one cookbook, just a handful of cooking things, but already, a taste for good and healthful food. Thanks for the memory, Dara … and the question, Why don't I stir fry any more?

26 Cat April 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I made a variation of this using your sauce and it came out delicious.

27 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) April 9, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know, Cat.

28 Dess October 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm

tried this. end product came out pretty dry and tasteless. definitely like either more sauce or at least more flavor.

29 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) October 12, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Hi Dess, I’m sorry that you weren’t happy with this. This is definitely a recipe to which I’ve started to add more sauce over time (this was one of the first recipes I ever posted). It’s time to update the recipe!

30 Arthur December 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm

where is my comment?

31 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) December 1, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hi Arthur. When a comment just says, “Have you seen this?” with a link that is in a different language than the article you’re commenting on, it looks like spam. Feel free to describe what’s in the link and how it’s relevant to the recipe you’re commenting on. Otherwise, the comment will be going into spam. I’m just trying to protect myself and my readers. Thank you.

32 Arthur December 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hi Dara,
At this website below you’ll see that your cook recipe was copied and imitatied word by word even all the pictures.

These are not vey important but your recipe is very good. and I cooked thru your recipe . It was delicious , but we had better increase amount of sauces.

Thanks a lot.

33 Angela January 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Hi,

I love the sauce and will make again… I didn’t have the time to measure it all but pretty much doubled it since the picture looked dry. I like a good amount of sauce. I cut my chicken against the grain, thin and long. I cook that first in the ok, take it out and put in strainer. Cook the broccoli add my chicken stalk instead of wine and start the sauce from there. Next time I will make the sauce ahead of time and add all of it in at that time. Then add my chicken back in. Lovely… the only issue I had is that I put in Baking powder by accident because I was in such a rush… had to dr it up… and wasn’t as good after that happened. But I know this was good cause I tasted it just before I did that. And the kids still loved it! I will make this again… I did powdered garlic, onion and ginger. So there was no frying time for that. I used the broccoli stem also… cut off the end quite high up… and peeled all the green off of it.. .that is the hardest part. Cut them as small as the florets and they turned out softer… almost the same as a soft onion. Neat! Thanks again…