One-pot chicken recipes can’t be beat for weeknight meals. This one is infused with curry spices and light, but satisfying flavors.
I had no intention of making this recipe, except that I wanted something to dip the Indian Spiced Chickpea Flatbread into. That flatbread (socca) is so good that it deserves an entire meal to be developed around it! I could have made one of our favorite curry dishes, but decided to make something even faster and easier. And so this one-pot meal was born.
I hesitate to call this a curry because it’s missing some of the component of a true curry. But it incorporates the essence of curry, with the addition of curry powder, coriander and cumin, and was all I needed to satisfy my craving and need for flatbread dipping.
It typically use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in recipes like this, where the chicken is simmered for awhile in a sauce. They are far less likely to dry out than chicken breasts and I find the meat to be more flavorful. That being said, if you really prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, just cut them in half crosswise and simmer for approximately the same amount of time. Just take care not to overcook them.
The first time I made this dish, I cut the potatoes into bigger pieces (3/4- to 1-inch) and quickly found out that the potatoes needed much more simmering time to become tender. So, the second time around, I cut the potatoes into smaller pieces. That did the trick!
Serve this with steamed broccoli or a green salad, and an order or flatbread or brown rice for a delicious, easy dinner.
Other healthy one-pot dinner recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s One-Pot Chicken, Quinoa, Mushrooms & Spinach
Cookin’ Canuck’s One-Pot Beet, Rosemary & Kale Arborio Rice
Oh My Veggies’ Peanut Sesame Noodles & Veggies
Veggies Don’t Bite’s Low Fat Vegan Mexican Taco Bowl
The Garlic Diaries’ Unstuffed Pepper Skillet
One-Pot Curry Tomato Chicken & Potatoes
One-Pot Curry Tomato Chicken & Potatoes…Healthy, easy and the perfect recipe for a weeknight dinner recipe! 269 calories and 4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 3/4 tsp ground pepper, divided
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 cups diced red-skinned potatoes (1/2-inch dice)
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumi
- 1 3/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season both sides of the chicken thighs with ¼ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet. Add the onions and garlic, and cook until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In the skillet, stir together the potatoes, curry powder, coriander, cumin, tomatoes, chicken broth, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ tsp ground pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Uncover and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley. Season to taste. Serve.
Disclosure: This post contains links to my Amazon affiliate page. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support this blog. Thank you!