Mar 26
2011

How to: Cut a Mango

How to: Cut a Mango Tutorial

The people have spoken. Last week, in my weekly addition to the How-To section, I demonstrated How to: Cut an Avocado. The comments were positive (thank you), but there seemed to be a quiet chant, gradually increasing in volume, from the readers. “Mango…MANGO…MANGO“. As I said, the people were speaking, loud and clear. In an attempt to avoid a mob scene, I went to the store the next day to buy some mangoes.

I used to have a heck of a time cutting mangoes. That darn flat pit baffled me and I often found myself staring at a pile of mangled mango slices, and I would then spend a frustratingly long time cutting the skin off of the fruit. That is, until I learned the hedgehog method.

How to do it:

Mangoes have flat-ish, oblong pits. If you look at the left-hand picture below, try to picture how the pit would lie in the fruit. Turn the mango the other way (center). You will be slicing off the left and right sides of the mango.

Sit the mango on its stem, hold firmly, and slice the left and right sides of the fruit away from the pit. These are known as the cheeks of the mango. Awww.

How to: Cut a mango Collage 1a

Working with one cheek at a time, make vertical cuts across the fruit (left), taking care to cut to the skin, but not through it. Repeat the cuts in the other direction (right).

How to: Cut a Mango Collage 2

This is the fun part. Place your thumbs on the outside of the fruit and push it inside out. It should look like a little hedgehog. Who knew the mango was such an adorable fruit?

HowtoMango7

With a paring knife, carefully cut between the skin and the fruit to cut off the cubes. Each mango yields approximately one cup of mango pieces.

HowtoMango8

Easier than you thought, right?

Of course, if you have a six-year old in the house that can’t get enough of fresh fruit and veggies, hand those mango peels over to him to make sure none of that juice is wasted.

TrevMango

Recipe using mango:

Cookin’ Canuck’s Grilled Mahi Mahi with Mango, Red Pepper & Lime Salsa
Cookin’ Canuck’s Mango & Lime Sorbet
Rasa Malaysia’s Mango Lassi
Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Mango Salad with Black Beans, Avocado & Chili-Lime Vinaigrette
Smitten Kitchen’s Mango Slaw with Cashews & Mint

1 Natasha March 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Awesome! I just bought a couple of mangoes last week, perfect timing! Thank you :-)

2 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I’m glad this will be helpful for you.

3 Kathy - Panini Happy March 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Wow, those mangoes look beautiful – just added some to my shopping list for the week (along with the ingredients for your turkey meatballs!).

4 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I know, the color of the mangoes is mesmerizing. I hope you enjoy the meatballs!

5 Jeanine March 26, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Nice! I have a 9 lb box of mangos ripening, glad to see this right now. My kitchen prep has changed drastically ever since the onion tutorial. Love the “how to”, thank you!

6 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I’m so glad, Jeanine! Thanks so much for letting me know.

7 Kirsty March 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Thank you for sharing this!! I’ve been trying to figure out how to handle a mango for such a long time…

8 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

They can be tricky little suckers. I hope this method makes things easier for you.

9 foodwanderings March 27, 2011 at 8:42 am

Dara, So happy you did this tutorial. Often times when I have a mango ina recipe I wish ti include a tutorial to go with it. Is this your kid in the picture? He is absolutely adorable!!

10 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 8:44 am

Thanks, Shulie. I’m glad you find this helpful. Yes, that is my youngest son. He’s a character – keeps us laughing.

11 Lori @ RecipeGirl March 27, 2011 at 8:47 am

Terrific tutorial. My little guy absolutely loves mangoes- I’ll be trying this and he’ll be overjoyed to eat it just like your little man! I love it when I can find them perfectly ripe.

12 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Thanks, Lori. Yes, as you can see, there are some mango fans in this house.

13 Drick March 27, 2011 at 8:57 am

now that is easy…gotta love you son’s pic

14 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Thanks, Drick.

15 Barbara | VinoLuciStyle March 27, 2011 at 9:40 am

Great tutorial Dara. I’m not crazy about mango; maybe it’s the hassle to get the fruit. Makes you love the convenience of the apple doesn’t it?

16 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Yes, I do love the convenience of an apple, but you just can’t beat the flavor of a mango.

17 Kalynskitchen March 27, 2011 at 11:22 am

Great photos! I was baffled by mangos when I first started using them a few years ago but once you realize how flat the pits are, they aren’t really so hard!

18 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Exactly, Kalyn! The pit used to throw me off and I was very happy when I finally figured out how to get around it.

19 Maris (In Good Taste) March 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

This was very helpful as I usually end up wasting half the fruit. Your son is absolutely adorable.

20 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Thanks, Maris. I’m so glad you found this helpful.

21 Jamie March 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I remember my mom doing it this way! She used to call it porcupine and we would pop the squares right into our mouths. I think that may be why I love mango so much.

I’m looking forward to doing it for my kids this mango season. Thanks for reminding me!

22 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Perfect, Jamie! I’m sure your kids will love mango as much as you did as a kid.

23 Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen March 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m ashamed to admit it but I am one of those people who have tried and failed with too many mangos. :( You have given me the oomph to try again! ♥- K

24 Joanne March 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I always peel my mangos first. It makes for a slippery challenge but works well for me. Very good post.
I picked up all the tropical fruits I could at the market yesterday.
Nothing beats fresh mango, pineapple, kiwi mixed up in a bowl. Delicious.

25 ironchefman March 27, 2011 at 6:28 pm

In Thailand and SE Asia, fresh mangoes are the closest thing to a dessert, although they’re not cut like this. They’re usually skinned with a paring knife, then cut around the stone into two lobes (give the stone to the young ones as a treat). Either way, try serving them with sweet coconut milk and sticky rice – soooo good.
Also, if you have a real good fresh mango source, the skins are quite edible when ripe!

26 Belinda @zomppa March 27, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Have a couple mangoes right here…YUM!

27 Kristin March 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I too have a mango in the fruit bowl on the kitchen table awaiting its fate. The last one was a juicy frustrating mess, but I’m totally going to try this “hedgehog” method!

Thanks!

28 Peggy March 28, 2011 at 3:56 am

What a great tutorial! I remember eating mangoes all the time growing up and this was one of the first things my mother taught me how to do when I was a kid! Definitely the method to stick to! =)

29 Terri A. March 28, 2011 at 6:55 am

I’ll have to try this way. I usually peel my mango with a vegetable peeler and then slice the cheeks off and cut. I just got a couple of mangoes yesterday, so I’ll have to try it.

30 Maria March 28, 2011 at 9:10 am

I love mangoes! Great tip!

31 Jenny Flake March 28, 2011 at 10:49 am

I Love the way mangos look sliced like that! Gorgeous photos Dara, have a great day!

32 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective March 28, 2011 at 11:04 am

Oooo! I like to sprinkle them with cayenne and sugar!

33 Marly March 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial – especially as mango season draws ever closer!

34 Amanda March 28, 2011 at 12:51 pm

LOVE your step-by-steps Dara! So helpful!

35 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. March 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I love your steps and tutorials!

36 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels March 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I always have the hardest time cutting a mango. Thank you sooo much for the instructions and photos. Your son is too cute with the mango peel! :)

37 Aggie March 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I always love your tutorials, they are so helpful for so many people. I seriously love mango. If you like kale try Aarti’s Party Kale & Mango salad…so good!!

38 Denise @ Creative Kitchen March 28, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Love the visual step by step of this! Mangos are something we eat alot around here….even in our green smoothies!! I usually just kinda wing it, so this is perfect. Thanks!! :)

39 Tracy March 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Great tutorial; so helpful!

40 Marla March 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Now this is a very helpful post. I love mangos, but I am a disaster cutting into these bad boys. I will try this technique and see if I end up with some pretty slices. Sounds easy enough. I think.

41 Evan @swEEts March 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm

You made that look a lot easier than I do when I have mango all over the counter and my hands! Thanks :)

42 Pretty. Good. Food. March 30, 2011 at 12:18 am

Ugh, I feel like I have issues when it comes to cutting a mango correctly. It never seems to come out properly. I am giving your instructions a try. Thanks for including such great photos for those of us who are… mangochallenged ;)

43 SMITH BITES March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

OMG Dara – that last photo just kills me – LOVE IT!!!

44 Shelby April 1, 2011 at 4:14 am

my favorite part is eating the mango! lol. This is how I cut it too – love mangos!

45 Kimberly Anderson April 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm

This post has changed my life!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

46 Kay N. April 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I love a good ripe sweet mango. However, too many times when I buy them in the grocery store they are dark inside. Unfortunately I don’t live where they grow. If they are good and ripe they don’t need any sugar and have the best flavor!!

47 Lynne@ 365 Days of Baking May 1, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Dara,
GREAT step by step instructions. Thank you! I’m always having such a hard time cutting those buggers up.
My 17 year old daughter cut one the other day using a different method and she did it perfectly. I have NO idea where she learned it – obviously wasn’t from me!

48 Kaitlyn July 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Haha, maybe I should have looked at this BEFORE cutting the mango. I ended up with, just like you said, a pile of mangled mango pieces to feed to my 2-year old cousin. I don’t think he minded very much though!

Thanks for the great tutorial, I’ll have remember this for next time

49 bridget May 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

I actually use my potato peeler to remove the outer skin and then proceeded to cut the sides away from the pit. It worked pretty well.

50 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) May 29, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Bridget, a peeler definitely work, too. For myself, I find that is a little more difficult because the mango is so slippery once the peel is removed and I’m certain it’s going to slip as I’m trying to slice it.

51 Heidi @foodiecrush July 15, 2013 at 8:11 am

I need to follow your lead on this one, mine never come out right. Great tut.