Mar 17
2011

Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon & Avocado Recipe

If you love Eggs Benedict, you will love this even more. Chipotle mayonnaise, bacon and avocado make this breakfast or brunch recipe irresistible!
Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon & Avocado Recipe | cookincanuck.com #breakfast #brunch

Before I learned to poach an egg, the only chance I had of eating Eggs Benedict was at a restaurant. It is the only thing on a brunch menu that I simply cannot resist. When I am at home, however, rooting through the fridge for breakfast ideas while on the brink of a hypoglycemic meltdown (seriously, I am a little tough to take when I’m hungry), the last thing I want to do is mess with a finicky Hollandaise sauce. The challenge, however, is to replace the creaminess of the traditional sauce with a quick alternative.

That’s where the chipotle mayonnaise comes into play. In less than a minute, mayo, chipotle peppers, and lime juice are combined to make a smooth, smoky sauce that will lend a little kick to your morning. Pile whatever you choose on top of the toast and mayo – tomatoes, ham, queso fresco cheese – whatever tickles your fancy.  I chose crispy bacon and fresh avocado to round out my open-faced breakfast sandwich. Even though poaching an egg is very easy, you could replace it with a scrambled or fried egg.

The chipotle mayonnaise:
In a medium bowl, stir to combine mayonnaise, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce and lime juice.

ChipotlePoached Egg1

The rest:
Toast bread until golden brown. Spread 1 tablespoon chipotle mayonnaise on each piece of toast. Top each with 2 slices avocado and 1/2 piece bacon.

ChipotlePoachedEgg2

Poach eggs according to my tutorial, How to: Poach an Egg. Poach the eggs in two batches (four per pan). If you would like them to be ready at the same time, I recommend using two pans, with a 1 teaspoon of vinegar for each.

Lay one poached egg on top of each piece of toast. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.

Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon & Avocado LS

Other breakfast dishes with poached egg:

For the Love of Cooking’s Poached Egg on Toast with Roasted Tomato & Caramelized Mushrooms
Eggs on Sundays’ Breakfast Crostini with Poached Egg, Wilted Spinach & Bacon
Healthy Delicious’ Sweet & Spicy Crab Hash with a Poached Egg

Poached Egg on Toast with Chipotle Mayonnaise, Bacon & Avocado

Chipotle Mayonnaise:
1/2 cup mayonnaise (preferably low-fat)
1 chipotle pepper*
1 tsp adobo sauce*
2 tsp fresh lime juice

The rest:
8 slices crusty bread
1 avocado, cut into 16 slices
4 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
8 eggs
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

The chipotle mayonnaise:

The rest:

Serves 4 (2 per person)

* Chipotle peppers are sold in a can in an adobo sauce. They can be found in the Mexican aisle of most well-stocked supermarkets.

1 Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) March 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm

A perfect breakfast (or lunch, or dinner)! I love chipotle mayo on just about anything.

2 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen March 17, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Egg and avocado plus bacon is like heaven on a plate! Lovely photos.

3 Sandra Ross March 19, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Hi Dara,

Love this recipe!! We are in Mexico right now and this recipe will be perfect for here. Christy and Jaida are doing amazing well. Everyone is very HAPPY!

Love you.
Sam

4 becky March 18, 2011 at 1:55 am

ummm hi!!! drool all over my laptop!!!!!! wow that looks super delish!!!!! thanks for sharing :)

5 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 18, 2011 at 5:31 am

holy goodness, this sounds exactly like what i want for breakfast! better get to poachin’ :)

6 Pretend Chef March 18, 2011 at 6:33 am

This is my kind of breakfast! Avocado and bacon are my favorite ingredients to work with and make me giddy! I have the know how to poach an egg and think that chipotle mayo would be insanely delicious paired with it. Wow! This looks incredibly yummy!

7 Katrina March 18, 2011 at 6:37 am

Great recipe! Your chipoltle mayo sounds so tasty!

8 Jenny Flake March 18, 2011 at 8:49 am

My husband and I eat something similar to this on a weekly basis, I can’t get enough of it, lol! Gorgeous!!

9 Claire March 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

HOL Y YUM! I love poached eggs on toast. I’ve never tried chipotle mayo, but it sounds delectable!

10 doughmesstic March 18, 2011 at 11:11 am

Oh wow. You’ve outdone yourself!!

11 Island Vittles March 18, 2011 at 11:53 am

what a delicious looking breaky — perfect for this weekend!

12 Sukaina March 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Wow Dara…..you really made an effort with this breakfast. I’m lucky if I even eat cereal. Hope your family knows just how lucky they are!

13 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Oh, believe me – the kind of breakfast only happens on the weekends when there is plenty of extra time. Otherwise, it is cereal and fruit for us.

14 Barbara | VinoLuciStyle March 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I can SO identify. And I even have the perfect All Clad egg poaching set but still…that’s a lot of little cups to wash out and it just seems easier sometimes to eat…well, Cheerios.

That mayo would work for me in a lot of ways…all of which are making me very hungry right about now…thanks!

15 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I’ve got the egg poaching part down to a science now, but making a Hollandaise sauce on a morning when I am really hungry (& can’t wait any longer) doesn’t appeal to me.

16 Amanda March 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Love, love, LOVE this! This may be the perfect sandwich :)

17 Tracy March 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I seriously love everything about this. What a great lunch!

18 lo March 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm

This is definitely something I’d make for weekend brunch — perfect timing. If I can find a ripe avocado, this might just have to be tomorrow’s breakfast!

19 Angie March 18, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This looks so good and simple!

20 HeatherChristo March 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm

looks delicious! and I am always such an admirer of your gorgeous photography.

21 Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen March 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Seriously everything about this breakfast sounds amazing! I have all the ingredients to make it…I may have to make this tomorrow morning! Yummy! :)

22 Amy | She Wears Many Hats March 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm

This would so hit the spot right now. Perfectly.

23 Lucy@acookandherbooks March 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

bookmarked for breakfast. Sounds divine!

24 Belinda @zomppa March 18, 2011 at 6:21 pm

This is awesome!! Those eggs are simply gorgeous.

25 claudia lamascolo/aka pegasuslegend March 18, 2011 at 8:37 pm

A perfected way to change a ho hum egg dish to elegant gourmet perfection!

26 Lauren from Lauren's Latest March 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I may need to make this for breakfast tomorrow!

27 Shaina March 18, 2011 at 9:24 pm

This is a breakfast worth waking up for!

28 Ang March 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I still haven’t poached an egg. This looks incredible. I need some breakfast now!

29 Kim at Beehive Blog March 19, 2011 at 1:03 am

WOW! and thanks for the tutorial – this looks amazing and I wanted to do a special brunch next weekend – I think this will be my main course! The blog looks awesome btw! Adding you to my Queen Bee Picks of the Week :)

30 Tickled Red March 19, 2011 at 5:00 am

Okay I can’t tell a lie I’m not a fan of poached eggs or sunny side up one’s either. I wish that I did after looking at your photo though. However I am going to have to make jars of the chipotle mayo for my surfer. He’ll love it!!

31 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) March 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

Red, this would be just as good with scrambled eggs. As long as you have bacon, avocado and chipotle mayo, you’ll be golden.

32 marla March 19, 2011 at 6:04 am

Dara, this is such a great idea! Even though hollandaise is easy, it does take some patience and attention. The chipotle mayo is a perfect spread with these eggs. Must try this weeknend. xo

33 egb March 19, 2011 at 6:50 am

Beautiful pics. They are making me hungry! I might have to go make some!

34 RJ Flamingo March 19, 2011 at 7:39 am

You said the secret word: Chipotle! How could I resist?

35 The Manly Housewife March 19, 2011 at 7:44 am

Yum! love the chipotle mayo. I just may have to kick my breakfast up a notch this morning…

36 Robyn | Add a Pinch March 19, 2011 at 9:07 am

These looks so delicious, Dara. LOVE your new site. It is just gorgeous!!!

37 Georgia Pellegrini March 19, 2011 at 11:29 am

Chipotle mayonnaise is wonderful. Egg, avocado and bacon is such a winning combination.

38 Elizabeth March 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Yum! What a great idea–this looks so delicious.

39 I Heart Salt Lake March 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Yum! I haven’t ever poached an egg… I think I am going to have to try now.

40 Lora @cakeduchess March 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Hi Dara-Love the new look of your blog! Gorgeous. This is a delicious way to eat eggs. I never paired my poached eggs w/avocados and chipotle mayo…I can’t wait to try it:)

41 Grace March 20, 2011 at 5:08 am

Eggs Benedict for me every time we go out for breakfast – my absolute favourite breakfast treat. I can’t wait to try this Dara, in fact, I will probably try this morning if I can sweet talk my daughter to running out to the market for avocado. Thanks!

42 Kimiko March 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Thank you for this simple recipe! I literally turned on the computer this morning, saw this recipe, and went straight to the kitchen to make it..and I’m enjoying it now! :)
This is the first time I’ve seen your blog…I got here from BrownEyedBaker’s mention of your Irish Cream Cheesecake Brownies. I’ll have to try those when I have the ingredients…they sound amazing!

43 Gourmantine March 20, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Love the chipotle! I like to sweeten up life for breakfast but it looks like a treat for lunch!

44 Kristi Rimkus March 21, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I’m always looking for lovely egg recipes. Eggs are perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, aren’t they? I would never have thought to make a chipotle sauce. Wonderful!

Kristi

45 Mimi Avocado March 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

Nothing better than bacon paired with avocados! We will be trying this recipe for sure. Chipotle mayonnaise will be delicious! We are a family farm. Visit us at http://www.CaliforniaAvocadosDirect.com

46 Lea Ann March 26, 2011 at 6:26 am

What a fabulous little creation….which will be on my breakfast table tomorrow a.m.

47 A Canadian Foodie March 27, 2011 at 7:02 am

I like what you are doing very much with your recipes. So thoughtful to build upon your basic lessons and then create a simple, yet complex – easy to make, yet only you would think to create – recipes like this. YUM. The chipotle may is so brilliant. I am sure the lime juice makes it sparkle. This is the take away jewel for me, here, today. When I open a can, I separate the peppers with a little sauce and wrap them individually and freeze them. I love the flavour, but find the older I get, the less I can tolerate the heat! (rats!).
Thanks for the inspiration and the gorgeous plating!
Valerie

48 Kelly@TheMeaningofPie March 30, 2011 at 6:51 pm

This is my kind of meal. It looks wonderful. There is a lot going on under that egg. Count me in!

49 Katie April 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

Poached eggs are my favorite! That combination sounds great.

50 MaxKalifornia April 16, 2011 at 12:14 am

I will be making this tomorrow; thx for the recipe!

51 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme April 17, 2011 at 9:55 am

Oh, my! What a perfect combination. Absolutely must try this. Maybe this afternoon :-)

52 Renee March 22, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Fixed this tonight for dinner and boy did we LOVE it. I grilled some tomato slices in garlic olive oil to serve along side and we literally licked our plates. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. This will be served at our first camping trip this summer!