As we enter the final week of our Get Grillin’ event, Marla of Family Fresh Cooking and I would like to thank each and every one of you who generously shared your recipes. If you are looking for some inspiring summer barbecue ideas (grilled and not grilled), take some time to peruse the amazing array of appetizers, side dishes, entrees, vegetarian dishes and kabobs. We are ushering the event out with a bang – that means desserts, of course. I am sharing a recipe for grilled pineapple with a buttery brown sugar and rum sauce.
We are looking forward to seeing what you are going to come up with this week. Remember, your recipes do not have to be grilled, just summertime-appropriate. That leaves the door wide open for ice creams, pies, cakes, crumbles, fruits salads… Feel free to share recipes that are already on your blog; there’s no need to come up with something new.
This dessert comes together in minutes. The buttery, sweet sauce is brightened by a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and made more “adult” with a splash of dark rum. Make a virgin sauce by leaving out the rum or get down to business by adding another splash or two. Either way, the warm sauce turns the edges of the vanilla ice cream into rivulets that spill over the stacked grilled fruit.
Marla and I send a very heartfelt thank to our sponsors, who not only provided some wonderful giveaways, but shared links to many of your recipes on their Facebook pages. Thanks to Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans. Scroll down to find out more about this week’s giveaway. Remember, you have to enter a recipe to be eligible for the giveaway.
In a large skillet or medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the brown sugar and flour. Cook, whisking constantly, for about 2 minutes to eliminate the taste of the raw flour.
By the way, I used my awesome ManPans pan for this sauce. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite pans.
Pour in the half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in rum, fresh lemon juice and vanilla extract. Keep the sauce warm over low heat until ready to use, whisking occasionally.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill with canola oil.
Lay the pineapple on the grill and cook, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Remove the pineapple from the heat, and serve with ice cream and the brown sugar rum sauce.
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Canola oil, for brushing the grill
- 1 (4 lb.) pineapple, skin removed, cut into 8 (3/4 inch) rounds, core removed
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large skillet or medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the brown sugar and flour. Cook, whisking constantly, for about 2 minutes to eliminate the taste of the raw flour.
- Pour in the half-and-half and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in rum, fresh lemon juice and vanilla extract. Keep the sauce warm over low heat until ready to use, whisking occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill with canola oil. Lay the pineapple on the grill and cook, about 5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Remove the pineapple from the heat, and serve with ice cream and the brown sugar rum sauce.
From the kitchen of Cookin' Canuck | cookincanuck.com
Entering Get Grillin’:
This week’s theme is desserts. Remember, your recipes do not have to be made on the grill. Any backyard barbecue-appropriate recipe will do. Here’s what you need to do:
1) Get busy cooking and post your recipe on your blog. For each week’s theme, you can enter up to 3 recipes. Each recipe post is counted as a separate entry for a chance to win a great prize from one of our sponsors. It is fine to use recipes that are previously posted on your blog, as long as you add the info in 3).
If you don’t have a blog, that’s okay. Just leave your recipe in the comments section of our themed post (i.e., on the first day of the theme week). Just do so on either Marla’s or my blog, not both.
2) During the theme week, add the link to your grilling post to the widget on either Family Fresh Cooking or Cookin’ Canuck. You only need to add it on one site, but it will show up on both. Cool, huh? Scroll to the bottom of this post to find the widget.
3) Somewhere in your post, please include the following “Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans.” This must be included for a chance to win the prize of the week.
Rouxbe Online Video Cooking School is giving away a one-year membership (value $240 USD) to their online cooking school. The quality of Rouxbe’s content is absolutely unparalleled. What does the membership include? There are 70+ online video cooking lessons, hundreds of instructional video recipes, 1000+ close-up, step-by-step videos and personalized feedback from Rouxbe chefs. Really, it can’t be beat.
For a chance to win the Rouxbe giveaway, enter your recipe using the recipe link widget. If you don’t have a blog, then enter your recipe in the comments section. Read below for instructions on earning extra entries.
This giveaway is open to readers internationally and will be open until Sunday, July 17th at 5pm PST.
The winner will be chosen using a random number generator and will be notified via email, so please make sure your email address is correct. You will have 48 hours to respond to me, or a new winner will be chosen.
To earn additional entries (you can only do so if you have entered a recipe), leave separate comments for each of the steps listed below. If you don’t leave separate comments for each step, the number generator will not count them as separate entries.
1. Follow Rouxbe on Twitter and re-tweet the giveaway, being sure to include my Twitter handle (@cookincanuck). Here’s a sample tweet you could use:
1. #GetGrillin w/@MarlaMeridith & @cookincanuck. Submit dessert recipes for a chance to win a member to @ROUXBE. http://bit.ly/pvihSI
2. Follow @cookincanuck on Twitter.
3. Follow @MarlaMeridith on Twitter.
4. Copy and paste our Get Grillin’ Badge into your sidebar or blog post.
You can stay in touch with Rouxbe on Facebook too.