Aug 26

Green Bean & Tomato Salad with Lime & Sesame Dressing Recipe

Green Bean & Tomato Salad with Lime & Sesame Dressing Recipe

Visiting my favorite farm stand is not just about the overflowing bins of corn, green beans, squash and tomatoes. There is another reason I enjoy going there. When I was a kid, I had an inherent trust of people who lived and worked in my neighborhood. Perhaps this was a result of living in a safe place or perhaps it was just a blissful ignorance that is characteristic of youth. Now, don’t get me wrong – I wasn’t climbing into a car without my parents’ consent or setting off to help a random neighbor find their lost cat or dog down a deserted alleyway. I did, however, believe that most people were fundamentally good and well-meaning.

During the peak of the summer growing season, I visit the farm stand about once a week. Sometimes the owner, Mrs. Jensen is tending the stand. Other times it’s her daughter or young grandson. As much as I enjoy chatting with them and seeing their eyes light up when they talk about their favorite blue potatoes or their award-winning bread and butter pickles, my favorite time to visit is when the stand is left purposefully untended. I slowly walk from bin to bin, gently running my hand over the smooth skin of the eggplants and the crimson tomatoes, fresh from the garden and covered in a fine layer of dirt.

Farm Stand Collage 1

With my bag filled with enough vegetables to last my family for a few days, I dig out my wallet and move to the little shelf at the back of the farm stand, where those childhood memories of blind trust flood back. Perched precariously on a wooden slat is a large coffee tin, covered in a hand-written sign that says, “We use the honor system. Please put in your money and take your change.” Why I am so sentimental about this, I’m not sure. Perhaps it’s the Jensen family’s deep trust in the friends, neighbors and complete strangers that stop by their farm stand. Perhaps it’s the unspoken hope that everyone has more good than bad in them and, when push comes to shove, they will ultimately do the right thing. Whatever it is, I can’t help but smile as I peel off the plastic lid and slip in my money.

Farm Stand Collage 2

The last time I visited the farm stand, Mrs. Jensen emptied the last of her green beans into my bag, along with several ears of corn, several zucchini, jalapeno peppers and a container filled with cherry tomatoes. As I drove home with my bounty, I set my mind to coming up with a new green bean recipe. Typically, I like to blanch green beans and dress them simply with some olive oil, lemon juice and salt. That day, I was in the mood for something a little different. Once again, I blanched the green beans and then plunged into cold water to stop the cooking. This time, however, I tossed them with some of the sweet cherry tomatoes and dressed the salad with a light vinaigrette that included lime juice, soy sauce and sesame oil. While fragrant and nutty, the dressing didn’t take away from the fresh taste of the vegetables, but rather highlighted their natural sweetness.

In a large bowl, gently combine the green beans and tomatoes. Add dressing to taste (you may not need all of the dressing).

Serve or cover and chill for up to 4 hours.

Other green bean recipes:

• 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp (packed) brown sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp grated lime zest
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 lb green beans, trimmed
  • ½ lb cherry tomatoes, cut in halves or quarters
  1. For the dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside for 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
  2. For the greens beans, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and cook until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
  3. Drain and immediately plunge the green beans into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and maintain the color of the beans.
  4. In a large bowl, gently combine the green beans and tomatoes.
  5. Add dressing to taste (you may not need all of the dressing).
  6. Serve or cover and chill for up to 4 hours.

1 Katrina August 26, 2011 at 1:00 am

This sounds so yummy! Love this!

2 Kathryn August 26, 2011 at 2:32 am

I love green beans at the moment this looks like such a great combination of flavours.

3 raquel @ Erecipe August 26, 2011 at 4:28 am

this is a healthy and very easy to make salad…I love it and I want to be healthy that’s why I look for healthy recipes like this. Thanks

4 Jessica @ How Sweet August 26, 2011 at 4:41 am

This dressing recipe sounds fabulous!

5 claudia lamascolo/aka pegasuslegend August 26, 2011 at 5:35 am

Stunning photo’s and cant wait to try this dressing anything with lime is a big hit here!

6 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 26, 2011 at 6:02 am

veggies are SO GORGEOUS! this post is absolutely gorgeous :)

7 Maris (In Good Taste) August 26, 2011 at 6:04 am

These veggies are very worthy of that delicious dressing! Lovely post!

8 Pretend Chef August 26, 2011 at 7:36 am

Loved the photos. The dressing for this sounds amazing.

9 Bev Weidner August 26, 2011 at 7:45 am

Gorgeous photos! I just went cross-eyed then fainted.

10 Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 26, 2011 at 9:43 am

All of those fresh colorful veggies look wonderful!

11 Maria August 26, 2011 at 9:56 am

Beautiful produce! I love the dressing! Great summer dish.

12 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. August 26, 2011 at 9:59 am

looks so fresh!

13 sippitysup August 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

I love the Farmers market because there are so many farmers in one place. But a real Farmers Stand like you describe holds a special pleasure. GREG

14 Kristina @ spabettie August 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

gorgeous photos – I love all the jars with frilly covers!

I recently (finally!) realized the goodness of green beans. this salad looks perfect!

15 Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray August 26, 2011 at 10:32 am

Yum! This dressing sounds wonderful! And your green beans look perfectly cooked!

16 HeatherChristo August 26, 2011 at 10:51 am

Beautiful post(love the sentimental stories), beautiful pictures and beautiful recipe for those gorgeous beans!

17 katyann August 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Dara, you are truly a food artist/ goddess :)

18 Heidi / foodiecrush August 26, 2011 at 11:16 am

Gorgeous, simple and easy. That’s what summers are made for. And if I could pluck that cherry tomato off my screen I’d be the happiest mater-bean eater ever. Beautiful shots Dara. Seriously gorg.

19 Penny Adams August 26, 2011 at 11:16 am

This looks and sounds yummy. Can’t wait to use this recipe with our massive crop of 12 green beans.

20 Gillian August 26, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I also love this time of year all the wonderful fresh vegetables, and green beans really are one of my favourites, I will have to try this soon.

21 Lana @ Never Enough Thyme August 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Such a sweet story, Dara. Back at my childhood home, we still have a tomato grower who uses the honor system, too. She puts her fresh tomatoes out with a can for the money and has faith and trust that her customers will do the right thing. And they do.

This recipe really spoke to me today. All of a sudden I’m feeling summer starting to slip away and I want to grab ever mouthful of farm fresh goodness before it’s gone. I’d like a big bowl of these beans with a hunk of french bread and a bottle of wine for dinner, please :-)

22 Aine Carlin August 26, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Beautiful recipe with my fav dressing! Stunning photos too:)

23 Dee @ Cocktails with Mom August 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Green beans are my favorite. I will have to try out this recipe. Great photo also.

24 kelley August 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Where is that farm stand? I must pay a visit. The pictures are drool worthy as always.

25 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) August 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thanks, Kelley! The Jensen farm stand is on 700 West in Draper, between 114th and 123th South, on the east side of the street. It’s a great little find.

26 Chris @ TheKeenanCookbook August 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Another delicious and healthy summery recipe. I love it!

27 Nutmeg Nanny August 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm

This is summer in a salad. The green beans look so fresh and beautiful.

28 Deborah August 26, 2011 at 11:37 pm

My mother-in-law just dropped off a big bag of green beans today – I think I’ll be making these tomorrow night!!

29 myFudo August 27, 2011 at 4:28 am

Love the presentation. Looks simple yet great for a quick meal. Nice pics.

30 Selina August 27, 2011 at 4:51 am

The lime and sesame dressing sounds lush! Will have to try this at home

31 Lori Lynn August 27, 2011 at 8:19 am

Hi Dara- sounds like a perfect summer recipe. Love the photos, as usual.

32 Kate@Diethood August 27, 2011 at 8:25 am

This looks so ridiculously yummy!

33 KalynsKitchen August 27, 2011 at 8:49 am

I love the sound of this recipe. My first experience with a farmstand on the honor system was in California, and I felt just like you describe.

34 Nithu August 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Wonderful post. Lovely pictures.

35 Sukaina August 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Wow….the Jensens’s sound like a generous bunch. I love the ‘honor system.’ So rare in present times. I’m not a fan of green beans but I’ll certainly be using this awesome dressing recipe for my normal salad!

36 CouponClippingCook August 27, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Love the combination of flavors in this recipe. It sounds so delicious. Also love the pictures and story about your favorite farm stand. The veggies and homemade food look so fresh.

37 Drick August 27, 2011 at 12:26 pm

very nice veggies… must be a great growing season up there… and nice bean recipe too, very similar to a tomato/green bean I do sometimes, will use yours next time…

38 Barbara | Creative Culinary August 27, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I have to find a market in the area that is open tomorrow. Missed my chance today and just seeing these fresh veggies has me a little sad. I could almost become a vegetarian in the summer…well, except for burgers and ribeye and grilled chicken and…well obviously I struggle with that concept! But I love fresh from the garden veggies and fruit…these two look so beautiful.

39 Kita August 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm

What a beautiful looking farm stand! And this green bean salad sounds awesome! I loooove me some green beans.

40 egb August 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Beautiful pictures. I love the colors of fresh produce. We’ve had an overwhelming number of tomatoes this summer in our CSA box, and this recipe look perfect! Will try it this week!

41 Maya August 28, 2011 at 6:01 am

Brilliant summery recipe! It looks so refreshing.

42 The Newlywed Chefs August 28, 2011 at 8:21 am

Green beans are so good right now! I think we’ll cook with them tonight. Thanks for the post- take care!

43 Carolinaheartstrings August 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

Those beans look fantastic. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

44 Miss @Miss in the Kitchen August 28, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I love sesame and green beans together, a great flavor combination. I wish we had a farm stand nearby, you are lucky.

45 Tres Delicious August 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Those veggies looks terrific to me. The colors are inviting.

46 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes August 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Sounds so fresh and delicious. Where’s the Jensen’s stand at?

47 Dara (Cookin' Canuck) August 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Hi Barbara, the Jensen farm stand is on 700 West in Draper, between 114th and 123th South, on the east side of the street. You’ll love it!

48 Baking N Books August 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm

This looks lovely. Y’see, I see so many beautiful, simple dishes like this…but me? I would just steam or saute the green beans with other veggies and serve them with salsa and cheese 😉 – I suck I know. :(

49 Delishhh August 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm

If you love this you will love one of my favoire salads – and it is so simple to do –

50 Yuri August 30, 2011 at 9:21 am

This sounds so good! Your photos are breathtaking, Dara. Missed coming here :) xoxo

51 Chris @ The Keenan Cookbook May 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

I just wanted to comment that we made this side dish over the weekend, and for a decidedly non veggie fan I really dug it. My inlaws and Rachel who are more prone to the green stuff absolutely loved. This is going to be made again. Thanks again for coming to the rescue with a tasty and healthy recipe Dara :)