May 2
2012

Focaccia Recipe with Roasted Red Peppers & Olives

Focaccia-Recipe-with-Roasted-Peppers-&-Olives-Cookin-Canuck

Unless your name is Jacques Pepin or you have “Iron Chef” emblazoned on your apron, it’s likely that there’s something in the kitchen that stumps you. A culinary Achilles heel, so to speak. For me, that stumbling block is pie crust, much to my pie-loving family’s chagrin. However, for a long time, it was bread dough or, more specifically yeast, that tripped me up. Okay, I admit it. I was terrified to do anything with those little granules, convinced that I was destined to make loaves of bread that were more fit for passing around the hockey rink than eating.

When Anuradha of the inspiring baking blog Baker Street asked me to kick off her series on yeast breads, I was more than happy to share the tips I learned since tackling my fear of yeast. This recipe for Focaccia with Roasted Red Peppers with Olives, along with those tips, can be found over on Anuradha’s blog. It is on a take on one of my favorite focaccia recipes with caramelized onions, tomatoes and rosemary.

While you’re there, be sure to browse through Anuradha’s site. Her recipes, such as Nutella Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake and Blueberry Lime Bread, are what dreams are made of. Every Monday she posts a new muffin recipe in her Muffin Monday series. Hazelnut Almond Raspberry Muffins caught my eye right away.

FocacciaCollage

Head over to Baker Street to read the post and find the recipe for Focaccia with Roasted Red Peppers and Olives. Thanks so much to Anuradha for asking me to be a guest on her wonderful blog!

1 Julia {The Roasted Root} May 2, 2012 at 8:06 am

focaccia is my number one favorite bread…I have always liked the added flavor of veggies plus the salty, creamy crunch of cheese on top. My focaccia never seems to turn out in focaccia form – it somehow always “bakes itself” into a round loaf….I’m definitely following your recipe next time I bake focaccia!

2 Baker Street May 2, 2012 at 8:19 am

Thank you so much Dara for putting together such a wonderful tutorial. Truly honored to have you guest posting for me today xx

3 Rachel @ Baked by Rachel May 2, 2012 at 8:59 am

You’re torturing me! Surely you know that I can’t resist bread! :)

4 Tina (PinayInTexas) May 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

My first time here! Glad to find your blog thru Anuradha. Your step by step tutorial on making focaccia is awesome!

5 Jennifer May 2, 2012 at 9:11 am

Looks yummy! I love foccacia bread.

6 Jamie May 2, 2012 at 9:18 am

Since I have mastered, so to speak, yeast breads I love making them and oddly enough have gotten in the habit of making my own pizza dough for family pizza night once a week. Leftover dough? Focaccia! But I always make it plain and simple and I’m really loving the roasted peppers here! Inspiring for me to kick up my own focaccia now!

7 Julia May 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

Shut the front door! I know this post isn’t meant to be funny, but I’m laughing because I JUST conquered my fear of making focaccia 2 weeks ago… And I have 3 roasted red peppers in the fridge that are waiting for me to use them, in something! Looks like I found their purpose!

8 Lori @ RecipeGirl May 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

Delish flavors in there!

9 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) May 2, 2012 at 11:51 am

Your focaccia looks beautiful. I’ve never made it before so your tutorial would be perfect for me. Will pop over to Anuradha’s site now…

10 Laurie @SimplyScratch May 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Whoa. This sounds Ahhhmazing!

11 Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen May 2, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Love the flavors in this gorgeous bread, I’m heading over to get the recipe!

12 Katherine Martinelli May 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I love seeing wonderful bloggers working together – this is such a great, helpful post Dara. Thank you!

13 katya May 2, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This recipe looks really delicious!

14 Roz@weightingfor50 May 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Foccacia is so good. I love that you can top it with so many different things, and is always good. Have a wonderful Wednesday Dara.

15 Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) May 3, 2012 at 6:27 am

This looks like awesome focaccia!

16 foodwanderings May 3, 2012 at 8:09 am

Love your version of the focaccia Dara. What are the odds, so much focaccia love this month. Would love for you to link it in out new #breakingbread launch linky tool. Just beautiful!

17 Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. May 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

love this! I honestly have never made focaccia and need to give it a try

18 Kristina May 4, 2012 at 8:00 am

Hi Dara! I saw your guest post over at Baker Street and LOVE your focaccia tutorial! I’ve made focaccia a couple times and my family can never get enough :) I’ve got a quick question though – I”m making it again this afternoon for a dinner party tonight – Can I refrigerate the focaccia once its all assembled (right before it has to go in the oven) until I want to bake it right before we eat? Or do I have to cook it immediately once its risen? Thanks!!

19 Jen at The Three Little Piglets May 4, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’m so grateful that my mom was such a great bread baker because it never really intimidated me. For a long time though jam certainly did!

20 Peter Block May 7, 2012 at 11:01 am

i figured out today by googling your blog the way to reach you. I made a foccacia bread this weekend inspired by your post. I gave you credit without a link. I will go back in now and a link. see my post at http://chefpeterskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/05/focaccia-with-banana-rings.html

21 Laura (Tutti Dolci) May 17, 2012 at 8:49 am

I love focaccia and your roasted red pepper topping. Headed over to check out the recipe now!

22 Michel in Quebec June 16, 2012 at 4:13 am

White flour again!

We have to get rid of that worthless stuff. I bought very nice certified organic pita a couple of months ago. Half is still in the refrigerator and will be thrown out on next garbage day. Just looked at it yesterday and there’s a lot of nice-blue mold that’s formed. Adds some colour. :)

It’s organic white flour and I’ve now learned that I don’t want that even if it’s certified organic. It’s worthless and yucky. I have a very difficult time eating it, being too accustomed to real and full breads.

And better than whole wheat is sourdough; far more digestably friendly for everyone, I’ve recently learned.

I also despise white table cloths, white shirts, …, also underwear. A real man wears grey underwear, and uses dark-coloured table cloths and shirts, because he’s usually a slob and slops spaghetti sauce all over the place. That’s even when eating spaghetti with a fork AND spoon. Doesn’t matter, the guy will polka-dot or redecorate anyplace, anything, in little time. Give the man anything to eat and soon your walls are redecorated, so you should use dark colours for the walls. That way the spots caused by men don’t show up much. :)

And, no, I don’t get spaghetti sauce on my underwear, but still don’t like white underwear. Why should they be white? Better off going butt-naked. :)

We need to be rid of white flour, so also white bread, pita, …. Let’s get some fullness, instead. After all, the nutrition for wheat is in the germ and bran, though mostly germ. The bran is good if you’re suffering from constipation; a problem I seldom have. And this is an example of when germs are good for us. :)

The bland white flour is good for making mud huts. Maybe anyway. It acts like Elmers white carpentry or paper glue. It’s only to hold other ingredients together; the nutritional ingredients; because white flour is garbage, or glue, depending on how you consider it. Okay everyone, start making your mud huts. And try not to eat them, for they’re made with white flour.

Solution:

I don’t have the websites bookmarked, but came across some over the past several months and they provide information about how to replace use of white flour, bleached flour, all-purpose flour with real, wholesome flour. So people interested in this and who invest a little time should be able to find the same or similar sources.

From what I recall, though only for people who can eat whole wheat flour, less than 1 cup is required for 1 cup of white flour (yucky stuff). It might be 1/2 or 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup of white flour, but I don’t have the links, so people interested in this need to search for it.

For people allergic to gluten, there might be some solutions. Maybe sourdough will work and if not, or even if it works, maybe “flours” made from quinoa, millet, buckwheat (it isn’t a wheat btw), brown rice, or chickpeas, f.e., might do.

Buckwheat isn’t a wheat and wheat probably shouldn’t be part of the name at all, imo, but it has been for a long time, so I guess we have to live with that.

WHFoods. com provides tips and a lot of other information. And no, I have no affiliation; only being a user or reader.

White flour is LOUSY!