Six days. That’s how much time is left before my boys go back to school. I’ll be honest – there’s a side of me that relishes the thought of regaining some semblance of a daily schedule, getting extra time to take care of my to-do list and savoring moments of quiet. But then, all that quiet can become deafening. And then I start to miss the joyful giggles from the backyard, the the calls of “Mum, will you play with me?” and even the arguments (remind me of this next summer, will you?)
There are a few other things I’ll miss about summertime, too. The food. Fresh berries and watermelon, boatloads of zucchini (yes, I’ll actually miss that) and corn. Oh, the corn! Even though I inundated you last week with 25 Corn Recipes from Food Bloggers, I wanted to add one more recipe into the mix. If “quick and easy” is an important part of your vocabulary, then this salad is for you.
There are five ingredients and two of them are salt and pepper. Those don’t really count, right? So, we can say this is a three-ingredient recipe. Rub the corn with olive oil, char it a bit on the grill and mix it with cherry tomatoes and basil. That’s it. Of course, the sweeter the corn and tomatoes, the better the salad will be. Good food is made better by great ingredients and this salad certainly highlights that philosophy.
And now, excuse me while I head out to the pool with my boys…for one last time this summer.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Brush the corn with 2 teaspoon of the olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper.
Grill the corn, turning every few minutes, until some of the kernels are charred, 10 to 12 minutes.
Let the corn rest until it is cool enough to handle.
Cut the kernels off the cobs and discard the cobs.
Place the corn in a serving bowl and gently toss with the tomatoes, remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sliced basil. Serve.
Other salads with corn:
Simply Recipes’ Arugula Corn Salad with Bacon
Joy the Baker’s BLT Corn Salad Wraps
Eclectic Recipes’ Avocado & Corn Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Undercover Caterer’s Mexican Grilled Corn Salad
From the kitchen of Cookin Canuck. www.cookincanuck.com
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 5 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the corn with 2 teaspoon of the olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Grill the corn, turning every few minutes, until some of the kernels are charred, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let the corn rest until it is cool enough to handle.
- Cut the kernels off the cobs and discard the cobs.
- Place the corn in a serving bowl and gently toss with the tomatoes, remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sliced basil. Serve.