Jan 18
2013

Grated Cauliflower Salad Recipe with Peppers, Carrots & Capers

Grated Cauliflower Salad Recipe with Peppers, Carrots & Capers by Cookin' Canuck

I’ve always been a little perplexed by raw food restaurants. And entire menu made up of food that isn’t cooked? Really? And so I was somewhat mystified, but also intrigued when I saw this recipe, labeled Raw Cauliflower Couscous over at the Tasty Kitchen site. The first step in this salad recipe calls for grating the cauliflower, which I had never done. Let me tell you, it gives the cauliflower a really cool texture – light and fluffy, but with a crunch. What really caught my eye were the kalamata olives, capers (give me some brine, baby!) and sun dried tomatoes. Now we’re talking!

The brilliance of this salad is attributed to Sally of The Spontaneous Hausfrau. If you spend a few minutes on her blog, you’ll find out that Sally doesn’t post just everyday recipes that have been done a thousand times over. You’ll discover recipes such as Vegan maple Cinnamon Mousse (made with cashews!), Sesame Zucchini Noodles and Baklava Fruit and Nut Bars (going on my “must try” list).

As you might guess from the whole “no cook” method discussion, this salad comes together in a matter of minutes. Just set to work chopping your vegetables, squeeze in some lemon juice, pour in a little olive oil and toss it all together. This salad was truly an unexpected treat, and one that just might change the minds of any cauliflower naysayers.

Now I’m thinking that raw food restaurants might be worth a second look.

Find the recipe and step-by-step photos at the Tasty Kitchen blog.

Here is the nutritional information for the recipe: Calories 134 / Total Fat 10.9g / Saturated Fat 1.4g / Cholesterol 0mg / Sodium 501.9mg / Total Carbohydrates 9.1g / Fiber 3.3g / Sugars 2.0g / Protein 2.4g / WW (Old Points) 3 / WW (Points+) 4

1 Sprigs of Rosemary January 18, 2013 at 5:41 am

Of, this is a most intriguing salad, Dara! Grating the cauliflower is genius. I love cauliflower (although roasted is still my favorite) but I like to eat it raw, too. With the olives and capers, it’s near exotic. Sold! Pinned! Thanks!

2 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl January 18, 2013 at 5:57 am

So glad you introduced me to The Spontaneous Hausrau – love the recipes!! Can’t wait to try this delicious salad -perfect for Winter.

3 Kate@Diethood January 18, 2013 at 6:04 am

So pretty!
I have yet to find a raw food restaurant… we out here in Indian-errr are kinda missin’ out on the whole raw food movement. Where are mah grits?! ;-)

4 Bev @ Bev Cooks January 18, 2013 at 7:28 am

Oh now THIS is gonna happen.

5 Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 18, 2013 at 9:17 am

I”m all about salads with a crunch. This looks so good, Dara!

6 Kari@Loaves n Dishes January 18, 2013 at 9:46 am

This salad is delish and I love it the way it is. Now, don’t hate me cuz I know this is a raw food deal; but I think that it would be awesome to throw in a pasta salad!

7 Carla @ Carlas Confections January 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

LOVE the raw idea, and how fun to grate the cauliflower! So genius!

8 kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts January 18, 2013 at 12:16 pm

How clever to grate a cauliflower. I’ve started shredding my squash, and I’ve seen shredded Brussel sprouts, but it never occurred to me to grate a cauliflower. Intriguing . . .

Thanks for the new thoughts!

9 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction January 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm

What a good idea to grate the cauliflower!

10 Leanne @ healthful pursuit January 18, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I make cauliflower based dishes daily instead of having rice and I always just pulse it in the food processor! Such a pain, so much mess. I will definitely be trying the grating trick. So brilliant!

11 Kimby | a little lunch January 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm

It’s been far too long since I commented on your blog, Dara, but this salad prompted me out of “lurker” mode. Simple. Wonderful. Shocking! ;)

12 Paula - bell'alimento January 18, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I’ve never tried grating cauliflower! This looks fantastic.

13 Sandy @ RE January 19, 2013 at 7:27 am

Sounds and looks fabulous. So healthy!

14 MikeVFMK January 20, 2013 at 3:54 am

I’ve never seen cauliflower look so good. Love the idea of grating it and turning it into a salad. Just the kind of salad we’ve been looking for to start the year off right. And so pretty!

15 Kristen January 20, 2013 at 11:18 am

I had the opportunity to eat at Cafe Gratitude last month and became a huge fan of this whole movement. I never thought I would, but oh my…so good!
Loving this salad!

16 megan @ whatmegansmaking January 21, 2013 at 4:32 am

Thanks for highlighting this one – I’ve never heard of a grated cauliflower salad, but it seems like such a good idea!

17 Deborah January 21, 2013 at 9:11 pm

This is so interesting! I love the brine, too, and this sounds amazing!

18 Aggie January 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

I could truly eat a huge bowl of this, and I know I would feel so good about it too! What a creative way to eat cauliflower!! I love it Dara!

19 addie | culicurious January 22, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Wow, that looks great! I love cauliflower and this is such a new and interesting way to have it :)

20 Natasha @ The Cake Merchant January 29, 2013 at 11:39 am

I was always skeptical of raw food restaurant, but then I tried Matthew Kenney in Oklahoma City. Who knew raw food (and desserts) could be so good?
Thanks for sharing this recipe. I’m always looking for new ways to use cauliflower, and this looks delicious!

21 Ruta February 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I’ve never had cauliflower grated, but before I read the title you had me thinking it was rice, so I now have high hopes. Thanks for the idea, the salad looks delicious!

22 Colleen July 9, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Wow! This recipe is great!!!

23 Rex October 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm

These deals may differ from each in respect of
offers and contracts but are available for the consumers at a
cheap rate. China too bring its better products out in the market.
The INQ Mini 3G runs Brew OS which is the same Brew platform
that the HTC Smart and Chat 3G use.

24 Tammy February 27, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Did you use a dressing for this cauliflower salad? Thank you in advance of your answer.