My 9-year old is a bloodhound. Not literally, of course. But he could challenge the most scent-sensitive canine to a smell-off any day of the week.
He undoubtedly got his unique olfactory talent from my mum. She can identify the most unlikely smells, good or bad, from 20 feet away. When I was about 11 years old, we were house-hunting and hit every open house in our chose neighborhood. A third of the houses were immediately crossed off the list when we walk through the front door and my mum whispered to us, “Nope. Not good. A cat peed in here.”
Thankfully, my son is tuned into food aromas rather than pet odors.
“Mum, are you cooking brown rice?”
“Mmm, that smells like frittata.”
And the other day…”Ah man, did you cook shrimp when we were at school? Did you save any for us?”
There has to be a Food Network channel reality show in there somewhere.
Sure enough, it was the day that I whipped up these quesadillas. The shrimp was seared with garlic and brightened with lemon juice and dill. Then I tucked it all inside of a whole wheat tortilla, along with fresh spinach and feta cheese.
These are perfect for a light lunch or dinner, or would work as an appetizer or snack when serving a crowd.
Other quesadilla recipes:
Cookin’ Canuck’s Mini Brie & Pear Appetizer Quesadillas
Cookin’ Canuck’s Southwestern Breakfast Quesadilla with Eggs, Black Beans & Salsa
Averie Cooks’ Lightened Up Corn & Bean Quesadillas with Avocado-Mango-Chipotle Salsa
Smell of Rosemary’s Grilled Portobella Quesadillas with Corn & Avocado Salad
In My Red Kitchen’s Sweet Potato & Black Bean Quesadillas
Calories 256.8 / Total Fat 7.4g / Saturated Fat 2.2g / Cholesterol 134.2mg / Sodium 476.6mg / Total Carbohydrates 24.5g / Fiber 3.4g / Sugars 2.2g / Protein 22.5g / WW (Old Points) 5 / WW (Points+) 6
- 3/4 lb. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 3 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with the pepper.
- Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until just cooked through, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Remove from heat and sprinkle with lemon juice and dill.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place one tortilla in pan and cover half with one-quarter of the shrimp, feta cheese, spinach and green onions.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling. Cook until the bottom of the tortilla is golden brown, flip and brown the other side.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling. Cook until the tortilla is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Cut each quesadilla into thirds. Serve.
From the kitchen of Cookin' Canuck | cookincanuck.com